Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2021, 07:28   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Is there a dual input mppt charge controller

So I am finally caving into solar. I will have 2X100W panels on my dodger. Since I have a ketch, there will always be one panel partially shaded. My understanding is that I will need 2 separate charge controllers to maximize my benefit.
Is there a single charge controller that can take two separate inputs?
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:56   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Is there a dual input mppt charge controller

You can simply wire the panels together, preferably in parallel and feed this into a single controller, providing the controller has sufficient capacity.

Two controllers will be superior. This is not essential although two smaller controllers are often not much more expensive than one larger single controller.

There are no controllers that I am aware of that incorporate two separately tracking MPPT controllers in a single case. If there was such a beast there would be a loss of redundancy, which is one of the advantages of the multiple controller option.

There is a significant difference in the tracking ability the durability of different MPPT controllers, so look for a quality product rather than shopping just on features.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:12   #3

It's probably easiest and cheapest to get two small controller instead of finding an exotic one having 2 inputs.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
It's probably easiest and cheapest to get two small controller instead of finding an exotic one having 2 inputs.
This. 15a mppt victron controllers are cheap. You might even be able to use the 10a
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 14:07   #5

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I've got experience with those smaller Victron controllers and they are great. Under $100. Just a bit more for the SmartSolar ones with built-in BlueTooth, which is nice as you can configure and monitor them with a phone.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 20:54   #6

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowglide View Post
So I am finally caving into solar. I will have 2X100W panels on my dodger. Since I have a ketch, there will always be one panel partially shaded. My understanding is that I will need 2 separate charge controllers to maximize my benefit.
Is there a single charge controller that can take two separate inputs?
Just a note regarding the capacity. Already, you can get 350W semi-flexible panels (approx 90 x 100cm), so you may want to look at greater capacity panels if you just want two of them on your bimini.

Shading is an issue, so the panels should be in parallel, or ideally on separate controllers. Monocrystaline panels are more susceptible to shading, but largely make up for it with higher output, especially in lower light such as an overcast day, early morning and late afternoon.

Ideally, more smaller panels rather than just two larger panels means shading issues are minimised.

Tags
mppt