Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2021, 16:20   #1

Boat: Balboa 27
Inverter generator to shore power in connection

I have a 27 ft sailboat with new by me 48 volt electric drive powered by 4 firefly G31 batts.
I have 2 Sterling 48V 15 amp chargers (900 Watts initial power up requirement) to charge the Fireflys.
I was thinking I could use one 48 V charger powered by the inverter 2000 Watt generator at anchor and when I am home or at the elusive dock with power I could blast them with both chargers if required
Additionally, I have a 12V 30 amp Sterling charger for the house set of two more Fireflys.
All 3 chargers are hard wired each to their own breaker on the new Blue Seas AC/DC panel, I cannot plug the chargers in directly to the Generator.
Anyway this represents lots of Skipperlee bucks on the line. A bit over 8,500.00 CDN for batts panel and 3 chargers!
The 4th and only other 120V breaker is for the 4 X 110V outlets.
I need to be able to use at least one of the 48V chargers at a time without using the 110V outlets during charging.

For initial/temporary testing I currently have the shore power connected to my house power ( I mean my dwelling not my house batts as boat is in driveway) and all 3 chargers work and have been properly configured for the Fireflys profile.( I cut and spliced a shore power cable to a 14ga ext cord)
I have almost completed all the projects and am close to finally floating this boat and testing on the water.
My newest problem is lakes here in Alberta Canada freeze over and don't have shore power. That I didn't know! Crap.
Sooo, I bought a new but not Honda or Yamaha 2000 watt inverter generator that does not have a shore power plug receptacle (DUH) like my other generator that's to big for this application does. It just has the 2 X 110V standard outlets. I need to make something work and perusing CF streams mentions it might or will likely show a Rev polarity fault at the AC panel.(something about a floating ground I think is what I read).
Also someone posted a link for a gadget that plugs into the second 110V outlet on the generator to correct that.

True or not true? If so can I make up a more permanent adaptor cable and get the Gadget to plug into the generator to correct the floating ground issue. if anyone can share the gadget link I would appreciate it. It looked like a black plug that had a blob on the end of it and cant find the link anymore.

Skipperlee isn't loaded with cash to replace all the components in this system so is this doable or just dumb? I am rightly scared and if I blow it all up in the driveway now I would truly hope to go straight to hell with it all.
If this can't work what can? Well short of moving to somewhere where docks have power that is. Next year I will be leaving the boat in the Okanagan Valley BC Canada where I will have shore power, But for now just trials here and I don't want to drop the mast and go home just to charge the 48V batts back up

Last but hopefully not the only option is, is there a Generator with shore power plug that wont give rev polarity light at the panel and be safe. I hate to part with more money but at least I don't golf.

Lastly It took over a year just to get this far cuz I suck at electrical so hopefully and if at all possible please keep responses simple without all the pie symbols, charts and over the top terminology that will surely make you look very smart but wont help me without me finishing high school. LOL.
I need to know,
Can it work?
Do I need a different generator? if so what one will work safely.
Can I buy a proper shore power to 110V female adaptor cord somewhere?
Is it OK to make my own?
Can I use the gadget that plugs into the second 110V outlet?
Is something else better, safer or smarter.
Best regards,
Lee.
Skipper Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 17:17   #2

Re: Inverter generator to shore power in connection

so you made an electric boat and now you need a gen on the deck to power it?...

the 2000w gen is only going to put out ~13a so it does not need a 30a cord.

you can buy a 15a to 30a adatper. and I would plug that into the boat and use a 15a cord. (no need to lug around a 30a cord with plug the adapter into the gen)

https://www.amazon.ca/Marinco-104SPP...29684692&psc=1

the rev poliatry thing is personal perfance. it should work as is but does not meet abyc code. or you could connect the ground to netreal yourself with a plug
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 07:25   #3

I appreciate your response, thanks.
Your correct as the gen indicates that it puts out 15 amps, I'll get the adaptor you indicated, It looks perfect.
The generator can only provide 1600 running watts and one charger will use 900 watt max at startup so I think that part will be fine. I changed every light fixture to LED including the Nav lights and don't expect to use much power.
Mostly I am just cautious as I can't afford to ruin the batteries.
I thought the reverse polarity/floating ground thing caused by generators is quite serious.
The Blue Seas panel has a reverse polarity indicator light and I read online that its pretty bad if it lights up. So far after installing it it has not lit up and everything I hooked up works.
I did the common ground thing to a busbar then the 12V batts for everything D/C then linked the busbar to the prop strut. Does that sound appropriate? Also should I tie in the A/C ground from the back of the panel to the common ground as well?
Also how do you connect the bonding cable to the thru hulls as I read that you should not hose clamp them. There's one for the head and 2 for sinks and a deck wash (repurposed diesel intake) should I bother with that at all on a fiberglass trailer boat?
Thanks again,
Lee.
Old 19-06-2021, 14:28   #4

Thanks smac!
I got the adaptor this morning, put in the jumper on another spare 110V plug like you suggested and it's charging the batts right now. I also noticed a chassis ground (I think ) on the generators front panel so I connected it to my boats common ground and also added the 110V panel ground to the boats common ground.
Does it sound safe in your opinion?
I really only needed it this year for testing where there is no shore power at the days end. Next year I'll have shore power at days end and will be fine.
I'll also add some solar with next years money, LOL.
Regards,

Tags
generator, inverter, shore power