Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 17:52   #16

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl
Re: Inverter/Charger, or Inverter and Charger

I had the opposite problem as you. My inverter quit working. Same brand as your unit. I bought a separate inverter and still used the charger. If you haven't shopped for chargers in a while, there have been many improvements over the old. Since we are cruising the world, having a 120V charger in 240V land meant no charging via shore power. So I ended up installing a charger that works off both voltages. I still have the old charger as a backup. The single inverter and/or charger were both small enough and light enough that I could carry them in luggage when returning to the boat. A combination would be difficult to carry as baggage because of weight and size.

Donald Bryden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 19:33   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

a64Pilot

Chargers are availably up to 100 amps from Victron among others. Problem is they approach the price of an inverter/charger.

A combination inverter/charger is more flexible than separate units - power sharing being one example.

I have sold many brands including those mentioned in this thread. I would choose either a Victron or a Magnum above all others.

As an installer I have replaced many failed Xantrex units.

mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 23:06   #18

Had my electrician come by today to check out my problem and develop solution. We decided to install a Magnum 1000 watt inverter/charger. Also putting in two different battery switches, one for each bank of batteries.

Also need to replace my 2 8D 245 AH batteries. The question do I replace them with 6 volt AGM batteries or replace with 8D batteries. I'd like to consider Lithium but I don't think I can get any for close to the same price as AGM.

Any thoughts on what batteries type might be best to replace my failed AGM batteries.
TrailerCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 00:10   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerCruiser View Post
Had my electrician come by today to check out my problem and develop solution. We decided to install a Magnum 1000 watt inverter/charger. Also putting in two different battery switches, one for each bank of batteries.

Any thoughts on what batteries type might be best to replace my failed AGM batteries.
Flooded golf cart batteries are likely to last longer than the same in AGM and are less fussy.

2 switches are a good choice.
Old 08-05-2020, 00:20   #20

What is the fussy part of AGM that you are referring to? Are the benefits to AGM over flooded? Can't the AGM batteries be charged up faster. Meaning less motoring to top them off when you are cruising.
Old 08-05-2020, 00:36   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerCruiser View Post
What is the fussy part of AGM that you are referring to? Are the benefits to AGM over flooded? Can't the AGM batteries be charged up faster. Meaning less motoring to top them off when you are cruising.
AGM batteries can be charged faster to about 80 or 85% SOC. The last 15 or 20% is still a 5 hour or job. And if that total 100% charge is not done once a week their lifetime will be short. Flooded batteries can take more of the abuse we routinely give batteries. Less than half the cost as well.

This link explains how fast an AGM battery charges.
https://marinehowto.com/how-fast-can...ry-be-charged/

Using a motor to charge batteries is not a good plan by the way unless also moving the boat, which describes a powerboat at least some of the time. Solar is a better solution.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:35   #22

WRT the comment about running inverter/changers in parallel, this configuration is quite common, but not all inverter/chargers support it. When paralleled, the units communicate with each other and operate effectively as a single unit. Itís a common approach is larger solar power installations. But, as pointed out, you canít just take any two inverters from Home Depot and connect the AC outputs in parallel.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:50   #23

I should have said my boat does motor a lot, but I do sail when there is wind. I also have 350 watts of solar with a MPPT controller. I also plan to add another 150 to 300 watts of solar over the next year or so. Because I'm getting older I'm thinking of adding 6 volt AGM's in with sets of two in series, for about 500 or so amp hour capacity.

Tags
charger, inverter