Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2021, 14:50   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Interesting Point of View From Nigal Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
If an isolation transformer in a charger doesn't satisfy standards, what does ? Would an isolated AC-DC converter solve that ? An RCD doesn't protect against all leakage, in Europe, it will only protect against >30mA leakage. SOME galvanic errosion will take place with ANY leakage.
Not quite ... leakage would be "stray current corrosion" not "galvanic corrosion" and only DC. While AC leakage may cause corrosion, it is such a small factor that it would not likely be noticeable in your lifetime.
Old 04-04-2021, 15:28   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

IF you have GRP boat,shore power earth not connected to the boat's ground you don't need a galvanic isolator. If you use AC shore for charge the battery, charge a smartphone couple of sockets you don't need a Galvanic isolator.

If you have AC, micro oven,AC washer and dryer unit AC fridge, freezer or simple have aluminum, metal boat, yacht 20-100 meter with a complicated network of AC / DC installation you need Galvanic isolation and AC ground connect to engine
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 15:42   #63
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
IF you have GRP boat,shore power earth not connected to the boat's ground you don't need a galvanic isolator.
Wow ! Darwin would be proud.
Old 04-04-2021, 16:31   #64
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

This thread motivated me to finalize my documentation (diagrams and panels) for the system we’ve been testing for 3 months now. It has been flawless and passed all the tests.

Please note that the 120/240V 50A shore power uses a galvanic isolator instead of an isolation transformer. If the shore power is questionable, I recommend to use the isolation transformer setup instead even though for us it’s only 3.6kW instead of 12kW.

Also, our panels are limited to 8” in height.

Here is a direct link to the forum post with the finalized diagrams: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3380690

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 16:54   #65
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Wow ! Darwin would be proud.
whay ,all marina must have earth grounding with RCD or LS/FI in cabinet/boat and all boat is limited for 25-meter cable to boat shore connector.
The cable must be from 1 piece and industrial EU Plug.
Whay use my boat for grounding 300-1000 thousand boat in marina when I have a neighbor with USA flag steel yacht with grounding all boat in marina
Old 04-04-2021, 17:19   #66

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Quote:
IF you have GRP boat,shore power earth not connected to the boat's ground you don't need a galvanic isolator. If you use AC shore for charge the battery, charge a smartphone couple of sockets you don't need a Galvanic isolator.

If you have AC, micro oven,AC washer and dryer unit AC fridge, freezer or simple have aluminum, metal boat, yacht 20-100 meter with a complicated network of AC / DC installation you need Galvanic isolation and AC ground connect to engine
Does a galvanic isolator protect you from other boats? My charger will be connected to shore power and I will have a single outlet next to the galley. I am curious as to where the line is drawn between needing one and not. I just purchased the fail safe pro mariner. It would suck if I bought it but didn't actually need it. The whole reason I started this thread was to fund a way to make galvanic corrosion a non issue. Keeping the ac and dc completely separate seemed to do this and it seemed Nigel thought it best for him to do this with an inverter based system. I have a promariner HD 20 charger. I am not sure if it is an isolating charger and decided to go the galvanic isolating route and using an elci main. I would still prefer an inverter based system, but I still rather naive to all the intricacies of marine electrical systems.
_LifeInTheWild_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 17:25   #67
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
whay ,all marina must have earth grounding with RCD or LS/FI in cabinet/boat and all boat is limited for 25-meter cable to boat shore connector.
The cable must be from 1 piece and industrial EU Plug.
Whay use my boat for grounding 300-1000 thousand boat in marina when I have a neighbor with USA flag steel yacht with grounding all boat in marina
Ungrounded AC on the boat ! If you don't get that basic function I think you need to take a marine electrical course.
Old 04-04-2021, 18:00   #68
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Ungrounded AC on the boat ! If you don't get that basic function I think you need to take a marine electrical course.
Also you need marine electrical course. i have 1-2 AC socket in use and this is a A/battery charger and B/smartphone/notebook charger A battery charger maybe 2-3 times(overnight) in a year be connected to marina shore power.
inverter hevy trafo 8 kw in winter when working on boat for welding big motor power tolls, water heater for shower water and icemaker. small smart inverter 500W 0-24 hour work for charge smartphone, notebook and this small inverter is grounded on boat cast iron keel and because I have volopenta galvanic isolated from saildrive i don't grounded on engine.
Old 04-04-2021, 18:06   #69
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Also you need marine electrical course. i have 1-2 AC socket in use and this is a A/battery charger and B/smartphone/notebook charger A battery charger maybe 2-3 times(overnight) in a year be connected to marina shore power.
inverter hevy trafo 8 kw in winter when working on boat for welding big motor power tolls, water heater for shower water and icemaker. small smart inverter 500W 0-24 hour work for charge smartphone, notebook and this small inverter is grounded on boat cast iron keel and because I have volopenta galvanic isolated from saildrive i don't grounded on engine.
I am a retired Certified Marine Corrosion Analyst and Certified Marine Electrical technician. Please do not advise people on electrical systems. Someone may take you seriously.
Old 04-04-2021, 20:56   #70
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I am a retired Certified Marine Corrosion Analyst and Certified Marine Electrical technician. Please do not advise people on electrical systems. Someone may take you seriously.
tell me 1 shipyard small recreation craft in EU connecting AC earth with DC -.
before 2012 i think Tell me one shipyard small craft make installation with galvanic isolation any type.

tell me why don't my boat is protected with marina green wire and marina earthing
Old 05-04-2021, 05:59   #71

Quote:
Not quite ... leakage would be "stray current corrosion" not "galvanic corrosion" and only DC. While AC leakage may cause corrosion, it is such a small factor that it would not likely be noticeable in your lifetime.

My misunderstanding of the problem then. It is boat earth (if it connects to metal hull or other water-connected metal) connecting to shore earth, thereby different metals creating a battery, that is the main hazard.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:06   #72

Quote:

What do you ground TO, on a wood or GRP boat ?

Recommendations elsewhere is that you SHOULDN'T earth-bond skin fittings on either, particularly not dissimilar metals (skin fittings - propshaft). EVERYTHING on my timber boat was bonded, including EVERY aluminium junction box, fusebox, switch, light fitting, skin-fitting and propshaft (via engine). Main (tall) rawwater intakes had multiple, parallel, strips of thin aluminium to allow for vibration.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal