Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2017, 19:01   #31

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5
Re: Installing Underwater Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasron View Post
Mine is out for a refit right now and I am going to check and see where I might be able to put one. We are on a lake now but will either trade up or take it to the coast next year.

I am already changing out mast lights to led and adding a rear facing flood with 2 spots on the 1st spreaders which certainly cover anything rafting up or docking. At night we have the cockpit lights in the arch and they are dimming but it would be nice to see in the water some without lighting up like a campsite.

hope to splash in a month

Ron
The rear-facing spots at the first spreaders is a good idea. We have a deck-light at that position illuminating the foredeck, as most do, so it would not need any additional cabling if we did not mind both coming on at once.
Will put that idea on the list.

We do have (yet to be installed) a powerful, but low-profile flood light to mount on the stern arch (solar and comm's antennas etc) to illuminate behind in case of 'issues' such as unexpected visitors 'wanting to use our transom step' .......
However, a dock attendant would not be too happy if we turned that on, and he was trying to pass our lines.

Thanks for the idea,
David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 19:30   #32

Boat: PT-11

Even facing down whatever it's more light pollution that imposes on others who might prefer a dark anchorage. For what? Fishing? Just aim a spotlight at the water.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 19:45   #33

Boat: Tartan 40

I wouldn't install one. But if I did it would be 10 inches aft of my strut fitting for my prop. Fully accessible from inside hull (strut bolts accessible) and would light up the prop which would make diving on a fouled/tangled prop at night much easier...
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 17:57   #34

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I wouldn't install one. But if I did it would be 10 inches aft of my strut fitting for my prop. Fully accessible from inside hull (strut bolts accessible) and would light up the prop which would make diving on a fouled/tangled prop at night much easier...
Very good point regarding a fouled prop!
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 13:26   #35

Boat: Farrier F-22
Send a message via Skype™ to fugue137

Is there any room for a plea against these things? Or at least against using them if anyone is around? Some of us are out there to enjoy natural beauty---stars, bioluminescence, aurora, etc., and underwater lights destroy that possibility.

And someone's comments about spreader/deck lights: those are a safety advantage on some occasions, but one of the most important pieces of safety equipment you have is your night-adapted vision. It takes dozens of minutes for your eyes to adapt to the dark, and less than a second of bright light to lose that all and have to start over. Spreader lighting can be worth it in an emergency, but it can also create or exacerbate an emergency. The glare from your lights will interfere with anyone else trying to see other things.

Basically I guess I'm just begging you to remember that light pollution is pollution too. At least it's easier to clean up than chemical pollution...
fugue137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, water