Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2015, 10:02   #1
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I need help with new alternator , new one is unmaked.pictures

I just bought a new Hatichi 12107, 55 amp
alternator, this one is not marked well. Th e shop where i bought it marked the posiive terminal, but thats it. It has a T PLUG with 2 prongs
anyone have a good idea where the ground goes, could it be the E ,new one on the right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150519_175938.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	102348   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150519_175419.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	102349  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150519_174751.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	102350  
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 10:25   #2

Re: I need help with new alternator , new one is unmaked.pictures

This should help: The P terminal is for a tachometer connection. I can't see a B but B is battery positive. E is earth or ground. The two spade connectors are the control wires, the top of the tee should be hot when the switch is on. The bottom of the tee should be the charging indicator light (idiot light) and should be routed through the light to the above switch.

There is no battery reference wire like on a Delco. The other two big terminals should be the other two bridge outputs along with the P terminal. They are primarily for troubleshooting.

should be able to find a detailed description on the 'net as these things are pretty ubiquitous.
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 18:03   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Um, trouble is if you look closer the E has no post,to attach a grfound to , unless itsvthst post on the left bottom and from what I read online its internal grounded, but the ones i see on line have a wire coming from the retangular hole to the bottom left post. so where would i put the ground wire? is there way to test ? Also the P was hand written on thrre to show me power-at least thats what the guy told me at the shop
any more ideas would be appreciated
Old 19-05-2015, 20:38   #4

Guess I am dating myself but my experience with Hitachi goes back to the 70's and 80's when they were pretty standard on everything that came out of Japan. We used the Hitachi to convert old generator systems to alternators because they were dirt simple, internally regulated and probably more indestructible than the Delco.

All the old stuff was frame grounded. Is this an isolated alternator and it's up to you to bond the negative to the frame?

I would head back to where you got it or get them on the phone and let them tell you what's what. That way if something melts in the process you can inform them that you followed their instructions to a t.
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 23:29   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes i wish it was that easy im 8000 miles away, but maybe i can find someone here who can help, thanks for yours
Old 20-05-2015, 00:30   #6

RAM

Have a look at section 12-18 of this yanmar manual.

Boatinfo - Yanmar Service Manual for 1GM10, 2GM20, 3GM30, 3HM35
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 04:30   #7

OK first up this new alternator was originally earth out through the body of the alternator.The E was a bolt that went into the threaded hole which as far as I can see has been drilled out. Someone has made this alternator above earth and I am pretty sure the bottom left hand nut and bolt is the new earth.The same with the insulated nut and bolt to the bottom right.Originally these weren't insulated and if the wire from the regulator [the rectangular slots]goes to either of these bolts then they are the earth point.I hope this helps.Kev.
kevmantra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator