Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 15:25   #1

Boat: Trojan F-36 Tri-Cabin
I Have 2 30a Sockets, Port and Starboard - Do they Both Need to Be Plugged In ?

I have 2 30a sockets, port and starboard. Do they both need to be plugged in? My battery charger shows 15a, and my batteries barely charge. Do I need to plug in both 30a sockets? Can I just split a 30a into 2?
Punx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 15:47   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Re: I have 2 30a sockets, port and satrboard. Do they both need to be plugged in?

Depends on what they run. I have the same, and use a 50 amp splitter to deliver the juice.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 15:48   #3
Eternal Member

Re: I have 2 30a sockets, port and satrboard. Do they both need to be plugged in?

You need to do some investigatin', my friend. The answer to your questions depends very much on how the boat is wired.

Many power boats have electrical inlets on both sides, allowing you to use whichever one is closest to the shore power outlet. Not both.

Do some nosing about on your boat to find the answer. Also, check any onboard documentation.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 16:15   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you have two 30 Amp inlets side by side on the boat, you probably have two electrical panels, one for each inlet. It is very common to put all of the boats HVAC on one inlet and run the rest of the boat on the other. You can split a 30 amp cord but you would only be able to get 15 amps to each leg. If you split a 50 amp cord you should be fine. Plugging in the second cable should not have any effect on your rate of charge.
Old 04-09-2011, 16:48   #5
Eternal Member

The OP said he had a 30A socket on each side -- port and starboard -- not two side-by-side.
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 16:53   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Mine are on each side. They each have their own panel, and run different equipment. That's why I typed it depends on what they run. He will definately have to take a look to see what's what.You know us cat sailors have more than 1 personalities. One for each hull....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 14:52   #7

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
Re: I Have 2 30a Sockets, Port and Starboard - Do they Both Need to Be Plugged In ?

I used to have 4 30 amp outlets, two on each side in the middle and I hated the configuration, like to easy to trip on wires.
I moved 2 of these to the stern of the boat right next to each other, so now only have two.
I mounted them both in the cockpit. Some sail boats have them right on the outside transom.
I always back the boat into the slip, never have any hookup problems. The wire does not need to run down the deck anymore.
Mine both go into the same panel and are split inside the one panel. * breakers, 4 for one 4 for the other. By the way, neutrals should be separate in the panel, but not all older boats might be wired that way. Some will have a shared neutral for these twin setups.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote