Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 07:09   #1

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version
I can’t stop watching my Victron apps haha. New setup, 1st time with no geni in 24hr

I have invested so much time and money into this solar project, then rewiring To different battery points and then rewiring with thicker gauge wire. My reward when I finished was days of horrible dark clouds and rain where power production was at a minimum thus we had to use the generator each night. We are a power hungry boat that averages 18 amps per hour Using a 1050 amp hour AGM bank (12v) We finally were able to charge up yesterday with just the solar and have a clear(ish) morning. We used to have to run the generator at night and the morning And it is so nice to not have that beast growling twice a day!

Below is screen shots of our victron battery monitors and solar controllers and it wasn’t even 10 AM yet!

I can’t seem to stop watching the Victron apps and just enjoying the power production. It’s better than TV!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2CCB0302-5799-4864-BFE1-4BA15A7C185C.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	216994   Click image for larger version

Name:	022C5341-C036-437D-8002-303DC025F6F5.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	216995  

Name:	BD87B080-F2B6-4DC8-A1F0-52E5C0BEA96E.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	216996  
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:29   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: I can’t stop watching my Victron apps haha. New setup, 1st time with no geni in

Nice, enjoy!

Have you hooked your controller up lately to Victron Connect and checked for the latest software update downloads?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: I can’t stop watching my Victron apps haha. New setup, 1st time with no geni in

Our yacht’s electrical supply has been 95%+ solar since the late 1980’s. For the last 13 years we have been cruising full time. Solar power still seems magical after all these years.

No noise, no heat, no vibration, no servicing and (almost) perfect reliability.

There is no indication of anything happening at all, which I think is why the electrical instruments hold such fascination.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Nice, enjoy!

Have you hooked your controller up lately to Victron Connect and checked for the latest software update downloads?
I installed a bunch of updates to the battery monitor and the controllers about 10 days ago. I’m opening them with devices that are connected to cellular data and I assumed it would alert me each time there was an update.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:47   #5

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

great - where are you located and how much solar do you have?

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post
great - where are you located and how much solar do you have?

Paul
We are in the Saint Augustine Florida area.

I have four 380 W panels. Two Victron 100/50 Solar controllers. In theory I could produce 100 Amps per hour. Right now I’m seeing close to 80 Amps.

In order to do this project I had to have a solar arch fabricated across our sugar scoops. That is the only thing I didn’t do myself. All the wiring and installation was done by me, which is why it had to be redone a couple times Haha.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B90B9893-E36E-4C3D-A14B-F27354075210.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	217000   Click image for larger version

Name:	1B040689-32CE-49FA-BDB8-D3BF94F85C03.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	217001  

Name:	B25DE456-2622-4D3F-AD31-6AF680CAB84A.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	217002  
Old 09-06-2020, 08:08   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
I have four 380 W panels.
Now you know why there is frequently animosity displayed in catamaran/monohull threads.

We monohull owners are just jealous of space available on catamarans for solar .
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Now you know why there is frequently animosity displayed in catamaran/monohull threads.

We monohull owners are just jealous of space available on catamarans for solar .
I had to create that space, lol. That arch Is being used for more than just holding panels but I couldn’t have this system without it!

Update, we have reached absorption by 11:20 in the morning!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71D6B84E-3AC1-48FA-94C9-55FF76C80E67.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	217003  
Old 09-06-2020, 09:29   #9

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

I am in the middle of installing solar panels on a new (to us) boat. I did this more than 10 years ago on our other boat (currently unreachable in Tahiti) and followed installation advice from the person who supplied the panels along with Don Casey's very basic advice in Boat Electrics.

Technology has changed significantly. I bought a Victron controller (the other boat has a Blue Sky controller - the Victron seems to be very impressive by comparison) and so far a couple of Renogy 100W panels that I will mount on an existing arch. I will probably add a flexible panel on the top of the dodger.

Are your panels in series or parallel?

Did you consider flexible panels and if not, why not?

Any advice from others regarding flexible panels - there is a lot of advice that newer versions are more efficient than previously but longevity remains an issue. The premium flexible panels (e.g. Solbian) have an eye watering price tag attached. Would it be better to buy a cheap flexible panel now, understanding that it may only last a few years, and wait for technology to improve? Or stick with hard panels and avoid wasting money, time and resources?
Old 09-06-2020, 10:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
Are your panels in series or parallel?

Did you consider flexible panels and if not, why not?

Our panels are in series. 2 per controller.

No
1)I have little faith in Flexible panels to hold up.
2) they would not have worked well for our application of installing them on the solar arch.
3) they are more expensive.

My solar priorities were as follows,
1) get great controllers and battery monitor. Victron was hands down the most recommend by people using them. Great customer service from the Victron area representative and really user friendly product. I expect these products to last and change with my system. (When we go to lithium batteries)

2) I saved money on the solar panels. I bought the biggest bang for the buck because I expect them to fail or get damaged regardless of how well they are installed. I paid $215 Per 380 watt panel but they aren’t LG panels they are Longi. I was quoted $550 per 360 watt LG panel so that is where I went cheap.

https://a1solarstore.com/longi-380-w...-72hph-35.html

Panels will get cheaper, better and smaller and maybe I will upgrade years down the road... maybe not.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:02   #11

Quote:
Panels will get cheaper, better and smaller and maybe I will upgrade years down the road... maybe not.
Is it possible to have too large a solar and battery system?

I'm looking into buying a converted commercial trawler cruiser. The large single level roofline gives a lot of area for panels and interior volume allows for a substantial battery bank. With a family of four, an Admiral's instance on an electric galley and all the toys associated with deep technical diving we expect to be a power hungry vessel as well.

Back of an envelope calculations has the vessel supporting/requiring ~3kw of panels, 2x5kw inverters and 400ah @ 48v of LiFePO4.

As the OP has mentioned, prices are dropping every month so is there a down side(s) to going over the top when spec'ing a system? Traditionally I'm a 'too much is nearly enough' type of personality. 😁
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:29   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
2) I saved money on the solar panels. I bought the biggest bang for the buck because I expect them to fail or get damaged regardless of how well they are installed. I paid $215 Per 380 watt panel but they aren’t LG panels they are Longi. I was quoted $550 per 360 watt LG panel so that is where I went cheap.

Our approach too, if it lasts 10 years that's fine and it will have earned its keep.

The app picks up our neighbours Victron MPPT as well, that caused some confusion for a while.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:39   #13

Boat: Lagoon 450S

I know right, I am totally addicted to my Victron apps. I like to watch the panel watts ramp up in the morning as the sun rises. I am sick and need help.
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 13:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
I know right, I am totally addicted to my Victron apps. I like to watch the panel watts ramp up in the morning as the sun rises. I am sick and need help.

Old 09-06-2020, 13:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post
Is it possible to have too large a solar and battery system?

Back of an envelope calculations has the vessel supporting/requiring ~3kw of panels, 2x5kw inverters and 400ah @ 48v of LiFePO4.
Im no expert, if I was I wouldn’t of had to redo my wiring 3 times, however I think you’re only limited by your wallet and what your boat can handle in weight and space.

One danger is wasting that money weight and space on production you’ll never need. I would bet once you actually have a boat and make the list of what you’re really going to buy that a lot of smart people around here could help you figure out what your power production and energy storage needs are.

It’s good you’re thinking ahead about where you would put solar panels as you look at boats to buy.