Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2015, 14:19   #1

Hunter 45 DS Electric Upgrade

I wanted to run by my first go at upgrading the AC / DC system on my 45 Hunter and see what the group thinks.

I am planning on replacing the 12V house bank with two 9kWhr lithium ion batteries that are in parallel for a total of 18kWhr of storage and wrapping that in Outback Power gear so I can run everything on the boat off the batteries and recharge with shore/generator power when the solar and wind can’t keep up.

I am planning on using two VFXR2812A inverters and chargers on the 12V bank which will allow me to basically run everything on the boat (3000w of Air conditioning which is the biggest load and 1000w of other ‘entertainment gear’). Two FlexMax60 charge controllers that will be connected to four 350w solar panels in a parallel configuration (shading may be an issue but I’ll oversize wire to reduce loss). I am also going to use the Flexnet and Mate3 to monitor the inverters, solar output and wind generator output as well as relay trigger the onboard 8Kwh generator to recharge the 12V house bank in the event that the solar / wind isn’t keeping up and I get into a low SOC %. I will also be setting the wind charge controller for target voltages of 0.2VDC lower than the Outback gear so theoretically the wind generation would shut down at say 90-95% SOC but the Outback chargers would be set to charge all the way up to 100% SOC

Here are my questions for the Outback experts.

1) Is the Flexnet and DC stents needed to monitor the output of the inverters/chargers and solar charge controllers (included in my drawing) or can I log and monitor them individually with the built in hardware of the unit?

2) I know I will need the stents and Flexnet to monitor the DC battery bank as well as the wind generation and trigger the generator on a low SOC but I didn't’ need to know if I need to wrap the inverters and solar charge controllers as well.

3) Will there be a conflict / error if both the charge controllers and inverters are trying to charge the battery at the same time provided that all the charge parameters and voltages are set the same on all four units?
Do you foresee any issues accurately monitoring the SOC on a parallel Balqon lifepo4 bank with the Flexnet / Mate 3?

Let me know what you guys think and if I am on the right track integrating all the outback gear. I’ll take your feedback and update my crude drawing with some additional fusing and disconnect/ transfer switching.

P.S. I know the drawing is crowded, I’ll clean it up after everyone’s feedback

Here is the link to my drawing

Much appreciated.

Sean
sogorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 10:58   #2

Re: Hunter 45 DS Electric Upgrade

Here is an updated drawing of my proposed setup

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p993a6vcs4...oatv3.pdf?dl=0
sogorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, hunter