Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2021, 04:44   #121
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bavaria Match35
Re: How to shutdown the alternator ?

Thank you for your replies. I am Considering the battery upgrade from AGM to Lifepo4 next season. For me understanding the system requirements that will work safely with Lifepo4 is important both for the solar system support and the other charge sources like the redresor and alternator both. All these charge sources would need to be upgraded accordingly in case of a LeadAcid-Lifepo4 upgrade. This is not a simple plug and play battery upgrade situation for me anyway.

Now I am trying to find a simple solution for Alternator over heat problem fist, to eliminate a new Atb charge controller investment at least. This event occurs especialy when charging Lifepo4 battery directly from the existing Alternator. Watch the video below which shows alternator temperature measurements made when the it is charging AGM batteries with half capacity loads at mid rpm. What I want to do is to put a thermostad on the alternator to cut rotor excitement electric circuit to let the alternator cool itself when its cover temperature is over 80 degrees celcius. This way alternator will be protected against over heating.

https://youtu.be/YsLCaQtuzis
SOLAR SUPPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 08:42   #122

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I would suggest, you built your battery first, than connect it and measure IF there is an issue with the alternator, in most cases there is not, leave the start battery where it is, alternator and start battery are symbiotic.

Then you can decide if you want to use the alternator for charging the LFP house on topp, and how. Usually you have either charge distribution diodes, ARGOFET or a VCR.

VCR needs attention, as LFP resting voltage is about 1V higher than LA, so it will not open up once closed. You can replace it with a solenoid controlled by your (BMS or BMV) and the Alternator D+ output.

You can use a B2B charger to control the current, it will put probably a higher stress on the alternator.

You can use an external regulator on the alternator.

You can upgrade the alternator for a high output version.
Old 28-12-2021, 06:31   #123
Marine Service Provider

I would like to send my special thanks to everyone who wrote under this forum thread and especially to the "rom" who started the thread. Trusting the courage of your knowledge and experience, I opened my 115A Mitzi Alternator and placed a bridge circuit between the coal connections and the regulator. After I put it back in its place, I connected the bridge circuit that I had connected to a simple thermostat that I had mounted on it, to the 80-degree thermostat whose ends were normally closed. When the temperature of the alternator reaches 80 degrees Celsius, the thermostat cuts off the charge, eliminating the risk of burning the windings by overheating the alternator during long-term high current charging. In addition, when I change Lifepo4 in the future, by connecting a voltage-controlled relay in series to this circuit, it will be possible to prevent possible high voltage response by cutting off the alternator charge before the lifepo4 battery initiates the HVCutoff action. Thus, there will be no need for the DC-DC charge added to the system to prevent the alternator overheating, and the lead-acid battery added considering the risk of HVCut action in the system. Thank you for this platform. I wish everyone a happy and healthy new year. With love and respect.
Old 30-12-2021, 09:19   #124

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

No need for the cut off either, when you keep your start battery and dont mess with the regulator.
Old 30-12-2021, 10:39   #125
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
No need for the cut off either, when you keep your start battery and dont mess with the regulator.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-258292-8.html
Old 31-12-2021, 07:46   #126

Boat: Outbound 44

I shall be installing a switch on the ignition lead to my 614 regulator in order to be able to turn off the alternator when motoring for a long time - a VERY IMPORTANT capability, since I recently switched to LiFePO4 - and the way to kill them is to over-charge them!
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 09:55   #127
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Balme View Post
I shall be installing a switch on the ignition lead to my 614 regulator in order to be able to turn off the alternator when motoring for a long time - a VERY IMPORTANT capability, since I recently switched to LiFePO4 - and the way to kill them is to over-charge them!
The BMS should switch the alternator off when the battery bank hits the target voltage.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator