Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 21:57   #16

How to Make a Suitcase Generator Safe for Storage Below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yes, someone definitely messed up -- it was ME.

I was turning the pulley with a socket in order to get new belts on it and forgot to check tightness after I finished. Must have been turning it the wrong way. I was tired; it was at sea in roughish weather. Brain flatulence.

Yes, I've decided to carry a spare alternator, but why is the generator idea "silly"? This also backs up AC power in case of a failure of my charger/inverter, which is a Victron, so always a chance of that. I know this is getting into paranoid territory, but I'm going to be in very remote places - I want to eliminate the risk as much as reasonably possible.

You have a generator and a big alternator/inverter as 2 ways to make AC. Why have a 3rd different backup, it's overkill, especially when this Honda backup involves benzine, carb draining storing etc. Get a 2nd alternator and maybe a cheap used multiplus 2000w or bigger. Then there is no storage maintenance as with the Honda.
Also the alternator pulley nut should be torqued to 70ft lbs I think and use locktite if not a locking nut.
Also the 2nd multiplus can be paralleled to the first if same model and software release or wired in series if different model and/or software release. Or just stored.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:06   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: How to Make a Suitcase Generator Safe for Storage Below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
You have a generator and a big alternator/inverter as 2 ways to make AC. Why have a 3rd different backup, it's overkill, especially when this Honda backup involves benzine, carb draining storing etc. Get a 2nd alternator and maybe a cheap used multiplus 2000w or bigger. Then there is no storage maintenance as with the Honda.
Also the alternator pulley nut should be torqued to 70ft lbs I think and use locktite if not a locking nut.
Also the 2nd multiplus can be paralleled to the first if same model and software release or wired in series if different model and/or software release. Or just stored.
That's sound advice, and of course what I am considering is massive overkill, but I admitted to being paranoid about it

But I am nevertheless inclined to have the suitcase gen on board, and I like the idea more and more. What is cool about it is that it is an entirely independent source of AC power, so no matter what goes wrong with the diesel generator, inverter, main engine, or any part of the electrical system -- I have AC power. No installation required (replacing a failed charger/inverter is a massive two-day job because of access issues) -- can be up and running in 5 minutes. I might never need it, probably never need it, so I can just store it in new and unfueled condition without any hassle or risk. And also it has some other possible purposes -- maybe I'll need power on shore for something. Maybe being away from shore power for weeks I'll want to use it to put a good finishing charge on the batteries from time to time (I have no solar).

But I will definitely have the spare alternator, and by God I will torque and locktight the pulley nut this time
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:36   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Its a pain to remove fuel and clean carb everytime on a portable generator.

I use mine weekly so in a deck locker it goes fueled and sealed. Been safe for a lot of years there. I use for coffee make, Instant pot, water heater etc...

Its a Honda 2K 220 volt unit for Europe.

One of the best 5 things you will ever purchase for a vessel as main power supply or portable backup... Get a good chain for it... some thievin' persona will like it too.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:45   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Its a pain to remove fuel and clean carb everytime on a portable generator.

I use mine weekly so in a deck locker it goes fueled and sealed. Been safe for a lot of years there. I use for coffee make, Instant pot, water heater etc...

Its a Honda 2K 220 volt unit for Europe.

One of the best 5 things you will ever purchase for a vessel as main power supply or portable backup... Get a good chain for it... some thievin' persona will like it too.
I had the 1kW version of this and liked it. It's not powerful enough, however -- my Victron inverter, unbeknownst to me when I bought it, can't have Power Boost set low enough to work with this generator. So the next one will be the 2kW version (which I realize is actually 1600 watts). I think the minimum is 5.5 amps which is just beyond the ability of the little Honda, but will work well with the 2.0.

Biggest drawback of this as emergency power in a remote place is necessity of carrying extra petrol. I'll have 20 liters of dinghy fuel. I might need to have another 20 liters, which is a bit of a pain, but I think I can keep it in the anchor locker.

You feel like the seals are good enough that it is safe enough to keep fueled inside the hull volume? We already heard a yes from SailorChic -- I know you are also a pretty careful guy -- do you agree?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 04-03-2018, 06:00   #20

Quote:
Yes, someone definitely messed up -- it was ME.
I guess that means you are fired then.

We kept our Yamaha 2400 in the cockpit (which had 4 drain holes in the corners in case of leaks or fumes) and had a plywood/fiberglass box that sat over the top to keep water off it (the cockpit dodger did most of the work). It acted as an extra seat.

We were going to secure it to the floor but as a catamaran, it never showed any inclination to move so we never bothered to follow thru.

10yrs on, it now lives in the back of the pickup under the same box with no significant rust. The box needs to be replaced soon as the bottom edges are starting to rot.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:01   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
That's sound advice, and of course what I am considering is massive overkill, but I admitted to being paranoid about it

But I am nevertheless inclined to have the suitcase gen on board, and I like the idea more and more. What is cool about it is that it is an entirely independent source of AC power, so no matter what goes wrong with the diesel generator, inverter, main engine, or any part of the electrical system -- I have AC power. No installation required (replacing a failed charger/inverter is a massive two-day job because of access issues) -- can be up and running in 5 minutes. I might never need it, probably never need it, so I can just store it in new and unfueled condition without any hassle or risk. And also it has some other possible purposes -- maybe I'll need power on shore for something. Maybe being away from shore power for weeks I'll want to use it to put a good finishing charge on the batteries from time to time (I have no solar).

But I will definitely have the spare alternator, and by God I will torque and locktight the pulley nut this time
I also like your idea of using the Honda for taking the batteries to full charge. Much, much more efficient than using engine/alternator or the big gennie.

Solar? I recall your reluctance to install an arch and davit due to windage but what about some flexible panels on deck or do you have a bimini or hard top? I know unused deck space is rare but seems like on a larger boat there should be a spot here and there.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:25   #22

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

The sage advice I wish I had followed is to take that the generator apart immediately after you get it an treat all the screws and assembly items with tef-gel. Also treat the inside with rust inhibitor as has been mentioned. We keep ours out on the stern deck in a sunbrella cover and it has occasionally been washed with saltwater pretty deep. Its 5 years old now and still kicking without issue but because we did not follow the tef-gel advise there is some difficulty in getting screws out when I occasionally need to service it.

We are adding pad eyes on the deck on each side of the case to help with holding it down.

Also - get a spare spark arrestor and treat the new one with the old one with high temp paint. We added a hour counter so I know when to service. There are carb kits that allow you to run off propane if you want.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:00   #23

Boat: Outbound 44

Multiple large main engine alternators, diesel genset, a portable petrol genset. And reluctance to have any solar. I guess everyon makes their own choices. For me I'd take solar way before I would ever store a gasoline genset below decks and carry the extra gas.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:53   #24

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

DH,

We carried our Yamaha 2k suitcase generator in a plastic bin [with lid] behind the driver's seat of our truck when remote truck camping for several years. It would spend days/weeks in a sun soaked cab while we were away- at who knows what temperatures- and no fumes ever escaped from the unit. [Stored with full fuel tank.]

Likewise it was a reliable back-up generator at the old homestead in central Alaska. It would fire right up with a couple of pulls at -40 [pick a scale... they intersect at -40... I use 5W-30 synthetic oil in the crankcase...]

I have always treated the fuel with Seafoam and have never, ever had any carb issues- even after it sat idle for 6+ months at a time it fires up with a couple of pulls.

These experiences give me great confidence for keeping it onboard the boat when we travel to remote areas for all the reasons you cite. [We also have spare alternators and rebuild kits, spare voltage regulators, a 10kw diesel generator, wind and solar, etc...]

I concur; the portable generator can bail us out of a sticky situation when you are totally self reliant and all conditions are against you.

I have carried it on the boat the past two years. It lives in a waterproof tub secured to the aft deck of our center cockpit ketch. Before heading further N, I intend to have an aluminum locker fabricated and installed on the aft deck for the portable gen, fuel jugs, etc.- replacing an existing ice chest/fish box.

As others have mentioned, it is worth putting anti-seize on any fasteners going into metal. I also had a valve go early in its life [broke at top where spring retainer clips on...] That was a simple repair for me to perform, and the valves are cheap. Therefore I also carry the shop manual, spare valves, gaskets, spark plugs, exhaust spark arrestor inserts [cone shaped SS wire basket] and other field replaceable parts.

In 9 years of use, there is still no rust anywhere. It has been rained on, but never [Knock on wood...] doused with salt water...

Recommended 3rd party add-ons [for any suitcase generator] include an hour meter, the oil drain and magnetic dip stick kit, and the fuel tank cap for coupling with an external fuel source. [Ours is set up with the same quick disconnect fittings as our outboard fuel tanks. Runtime can then be days. BTW: Measured runtime at full load is ~7hrs; ~11+ hrs at minimal load on 1 internal tank of fuel.]

In case this is useful.

Cheers! Bill

PS: I keep one of these Zerust vapor capsules stuck to the inside of the generator case. [And the sewing machine, all tool boxes, vacuum bagged with spare parts, etc. No rust...]
Old 04-03-2018, 11:33   #25
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

I have a Honda generator. I carefully measure how much fuel I'll need for the number of amp hours of charge, and then let the generator run out of fuel. This does no harm, and doesn't leave unburned fuel in the carburetor reservoir. That fuel would otherwise evaporate slowly from the reservoir and eventually leave a gunky residue. If you are careful to leave the generator in a level position (not always easy when heeled), then there are only fumes remaining when it runs dry. I then store the engine down below. I've never smelled even a whiff of gas fumes.

I fill the tank from my outboard tank with a mating "engine side" adapter, and I know how many squeezes of the primer pump equal how many amp/hours of running time.

I feel that trying to transfer unused fuel back into a storage tank is far more dangerous than the risk from leaving residual fumes in the tank. And you need some sort of pump to transfer the fuel - you can't just tip the fuel out without risking oil passing past the piston rings into the cylinder - plus - there are fumes all over the place when you tip the fuel out. And transferring the fuel still leaves fuel in the carb reservoir.

Just let it run itself out of gas.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:42   #26

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I always estimate how long I am going to run it for and put that much fuel in then let it run out of gas before storage. Gas cans are stored on deck
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:47   #27

there are kits made for Honda and most any small portable that allow the use of an outboard motor type fuel tank. It should not be difficult to remove the built in tank entirely, run it on external tank, run carb dry when time to store below.
Attached Images

uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:48   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Multiple large main engine alternators, diesel genset, a portable petrol genset. And reluctance to have any solar. I guess everyon makes their own choices. For me I'd take solar way before I would ever store a gasoline genset below decks and carry the extra gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
. .. . Solar? I recall your reluctance to install an arch and davit due to windage but what about some flexible panels on deck or do you have a bimini or hard top? I know unused deck space is rare but seems like on a larger boat there should be a spot here and there.
I had solar on my last boat and loved it. It's awesome. But I've worked hard and spent a lot of money to make this boat into an upwind sailing machine, and just would not and will sign up for the windage.

"Some flexible panels" -- given the relatively large consumption, is it realistic to try to get meaningful power out of some flexible panels which are not permanently installed anywhere? I had a Rutland 802 wind generator for a while which wouldn't even cover self discharge of the battery bank (420a/h * 24v). It was totally useless. Wouldn't "some flexible panels" be the same situation? I'm open minded.
Walt Whitman
Old 04-03-2018, 11:50   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
there are kits made for Honda and most any small portable that allow the use of an outboard motor type fuel tank. It should not be difficult to remove the built in tank entirely, run it on external tank, run carb dry when time to store below.
That seems like a great idea, but wouldn't it require a custom made part?
Walt Whitman
Old 04-03-2018, 11:58   #30

These small gensets can be easily converted to to run on propane. No storage issues below decks if not connected.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, storage