Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2020, 14:02   #1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI
How to connect a relay to AWG #8 cables?

I'm in the process of rewiring my boat. Today I discovered that the cable to my Jabsco Macerator pump is way too small. According to the manual I need to use AWG #8 cables. My switch panel cannot handle that size cable.

So my thinking is to run a cable from the main busbar and use a standard mini relay to switch the pump on/off.
I'm now stuck on how to attach an AWG #8 cable to the relevant poles on a relay.

The pump uses 15A and requires a 20A fuse. To my knowledge, female spade terminals can handle up to #10 cable (6mm2). So I need some kind of socket where I can plug the relay in and can handle AWG #8 cables using ring terminals or some other method.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 14:48   #2
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Re: How to connect a relay to AWG #8 cables?

The manufacturer's recommendation to use AWG 8 is based on assumed voltage drop not ampacity of the conductors.

To determine what size conductors you really need, you will need the round trip length of the circuit from the source to the pump macerator motor. For this application, I would use the 3% voltage drop tables to find the conductor size.

Now, to directly answer your question, the here is the socket for a standard Bosch type relay: https://www.delcity.net/store/Pre!Wi..._72562.h_72661

Signal B+ to terminal 85, signal B- to terminal 86; Power B+ line (in) to terminal 30, Power B+ load (out) to terminal 87.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 18:20   #3

Re: How to connect a relay to AWG #8 cables?

you could just run 8awg to a terminal bar next to the relay, and then run 10awg from the bar to relay.

IE blue sea 2502
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cables