Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2016, 08:55   #16

Boat: Cooper Maple Leaf 48
Re: How do I charge a battery for my dinghy while crusing

I live on a 48' Maple Leaf sail boat. During the summer I give up my permanent moorage to sublet and become a vagabond, living mostly at anchor, using my dinghy to get to shore to get supplies etc. The main boat has enough solar panels to allow me to do my programmer work while away from the dock.

I have a dedicated flexible solar panel that I use for my dinghy. I have lines tied to each corner allowing me to tie it in position either on the main boat, or the bow of the dinghy. I have a gel battery in a battery box which I modified to mount a small charge controller and 2 sets of connectors. One connects the charge controller to the solar panel and the other connects to the motor. It all becomes very easy to set up and use as I move from anchorage to anchorage. At anchor the dinghy floats behind the boat and has full access to the sky keeping the battery full. I love not having to think about buying gas for an outboard.
aquestaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 08:15   #17

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter

Aquestaer, I really like the sound of your set up with the panel on the dinghy. What size is your flexible panel, and where did you source it?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 08:31   #18

Boat: Cooper Maple Leaf 48

[QUOTE=AZ-Oldguy;2154569]Aquestaer, I really like the sound of your set up with the panel on the dinghy. What size is your flexible panel, and where did you source it?

The panel is 100 watts. I don't know the brand. I live in Victoria, BC and purchased it at a local marine supply store called Trotac.

I'm attaching a picture of my setup. (hmm.. don't think I know how to attach a picture or if it's even possible) I can email it if you PM me an address.
aquestaer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, dinghy