Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2020, 12:45   #61

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Honda Portable Generator: Will This Work?

Regarding these efficiency numbers, do not forget to factor in the purchase price of the related genset & installation equipment.

You can burn a lot, and I really mean a LOT (!) of extra fuel on a Honda until you have offset the price a marine installation diesel genset costs more than a Honda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
A lot of boats do have over-sized generators for convenience. But it's not necessarily good design. My boat has 2x 50A/125V shore power inlets, so it would take a 12kw generator to be equivalent. My generator is only 6.5kw (54 amps), but I've never found it too small. No, it won't run everything on the boat at the same time, but I also rarely do that. With a little attention to loads, it's easy to run anything I'd want to on the generator. I've never had a need to use the microwave, all 3 stove burners, and all 3 A/C units while the battery charger and water heater are both going full blast. That's technically possible on shore power (but not the generator). In reality though, it's more of an academic exercise.

Gas engines lose far more efficiency than diesels do as load is reduced. The inverter units mitigate this somewhat by being able to throttle the engine down. However, the actual generator head efficiency is worse with the inverter in the loop. So in the end, compared to a same-output diesel generator, they're a little less efficient at light load and significantly less at heavy load. Air cooled engines are horribly inefficient in general. The comparison I gave earlier to my old Onan unit is Honda vs 1800 rpm 2 cylinder gas powered flathead with a primitive carb. Under light load, the Honda is slightly more efficient. At rated load for each unit, the Honda is notably less efficient despite having far more tech on its side (fuel injection, newer engine design, etc.)
Old 15-06-2020, 14:05   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The Nexgen is about as inexpensive as they come, excepting for some frankly not so good generators and they aren’t the pinnacles of technology, with a capacitor for voltage regulation and a not precise Governor etc.
But if your not doing the install, I bet by the time you had to have a flat space built to mount it, the boat pulled and a thru hull installed, exhaust run etc, etc your out I’d guess at least $10,000.
A Honda cost $1,000 and the install is put oil and gas in it.
I used my Shorepower cord for a couple of years, but this year finally cut the ends off a 12Ga extension cord and put shorepower ends on, much more user friendly not having to wrestle with 50’ of heavy cable, just 10’ or so of extension cord.

I am run my 6,000 BTU AC without a soft start, but the 16,000 BTU’s locked rotor amps is 70 amps, and there is no way a Honda is getting close to that, but with a soft it will run it in Eco mode.
The soft start I used is about $300, and soft start are supposed to be kinder on compressors than without. I tired a hard start cap, and it did drop the start up amps a little, but not nearly enough and a hard start may be hard on a compressor too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 14:10   #63

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Franziska, we are on the same page. With a diesel generator you are looking 10K plus. Probably another 3k for installation of tank modifications, water mods, and electrical circuit runs. I could buy 13 Hondas for that outrageous gig. I frankly don't care about the efficiency of the Honda. It is a mute point.

Multihullers are more conscious about weight and price. Our boats, generally speaking (no million dollar cat kids), are pretty basic. So, we don't have microwaves, bread makers, televisions, and the like.

Look Fellas and Gals, no one is saying diesel gen sets are bad things. But don't think that Honda Gen Sets are not a gift from the Heavens for other boaters. Because they are really fabulous sources of energy when it gets clouded up for a 3-4 days and the battery banks are suffering. I have even been toying with the idea of dumping the propane tank and using an induction hob. Would only require running the Honda about 30-40 minutes a day. I think it takes me 10 minutes of propane a day for tea and eggs.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 14:11   #64

Boat: csy 37

we were moored up at vero beach one week. a big beneteau on the ball next to us would run two honda 2000 generators to power his air conditioning, but only at night. but he had them mounted on his swim ladder and the cables running back into the boat through a hatch well forward and upwind of his generators.

we kept our honda 1000 in a cockpit lazarette and used it only to top up the batteries when necessary. then it sat in the cockpit while it went through a quart of gas and died.

by the way, that guy's two honda 2000's ran most of the night, and although they were maybe 50 feet or less away from us, we never heard them running while we slept.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 15:43   #65

Boat: Contessa 32

[QUOTE=two-rocks;3163136]

But...the RV is above the land and the explosive gases can be vented much easier. A fire is easier to put out as well.

It’s also usually a whole lot easier to run away from a burning vehicle than swim away from a burning boat.
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 16:26   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Unless I’m mistaken Vero had quiet hours, you weren’t allowed to run any kind of generator before I think maybe 10 am or after 6 pm or something similar.
But I’ve not been there for almost two years I think, there are bad memories associated there.
Old 16-06-2020, 12:16   #67

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
But I’ve not been there for almost two years I think, there are bad memories associated there.

sorry to hear that. we haven't been there for some years now but found it to be a great stop while waiting for weather to clear for the run from west palm to the abacos.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 12:23   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It’s a great stop, just we were there when we got a call from the ER Nurse telling us that our Son had been run over by a hit and run driver. He survived, but it has been a tough thing.
Old 19-06-2020, 06:50   #69

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Please, please please, if you decide to run it topside all night, be mindful of the noise disturbance to other boaters. The sound carries on the water.
Old 19-06-2020, 06:56   #70

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I have run a Honda 2000 on the sugar scoop; but, daytime only and not sleeping. If you are cruising with a dinghy consider running it in it. This will be safer and quieter.
I converted my 2000 to run on gasoline and natural gas. I suspect it will run on propane too with an additional regulator. Gasoline is a lot easier to get and cheaper. Unfortunately I am unable to start the 2000 on natural gas and have to start it on gasoline and then switch over. I don't know why. I modified the cut off valve so it doesn't kill the spark. This allows me to run it dry on gasoline too.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 06:59   #71

Boat: Brewer 44

Please, please, please no more air cooled generators, they’re the bane of all anchorages. Every other boat in the anchorage will HATE you. Running gensets is bad enough but the Honda generators create an intolerable racket.
GinoDelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 06:59   #72

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Mahe 36

Logically, your ideas are great and would work. The reason I wouldn't do it is that over extended periods of time, things that can fail often do. For example the exhaust extension can leak at the mount, or the fan could stop functioning.
What exactly do you want to accomplish?
We might be able to recommend better solutions.
Keeping the generator on the steps aft of your vessel might be the best solution as wind is coming from the bow and moving away from your vessel at anchor.
If rain is a concern, you can get a special tent that keeps the rain off the generator, but if the rain is light, you need not concern yourself.
As for storage, that box would be fine.

Gen Tent
Fiddlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 07:07   #73

We had this setup, with external exhaust (kit with a flexible, from Honda itself i believe) we crossed the ocean with this setup and for us it did not work. The enclosure became too hot and as a result the electronic inverter of the genset shut itself off after about 15 minutes. We abandoned this plan.
Sailing Hanse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 07:15   #74

Boat: Catalina 350

That’s how I do it also. All I need is a short cord to plug into the boat.👍🏻
rick bertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 07:16   #75

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Mahe 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoDelG View Post
Please, please, please no more air cooled generators, they’re the bane of all anchorages. Every other boat in the anchorage will HATE you. Running gensets is bad enough but the Honda generators create an intolerable racket.
These Honda generators make less or about the same noise as the water cooled Diesel generators. The only thing that makes a difference is that the Honda is kept outside, rather than inside the vessel. I get just as annoyed if someone with a diesel generator is close to us on anchor.

If you can afford a diesel generator and installation, and have the room for it, it's obviously the preferred solution.
Fiddlerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda, work