Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2010, 02:30   #1
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Honda Generator / Xantrax Charger Problem

We have been using a Honda 2kva generator and Xantrax 40 amp Truecharge battery charger to top up our batteries {4x Trojan 120 amp }when the wind and sun have been scarse. The system works well and allows us the luxury of been able to run T.V ,Laptops, and keep the fridge cold.
My concern is that when we are charging the batteries using the above system every 20 minutes {approx}the generator slows right down from putting in 35amps to 2 amps .This only lasts for a few seconds then the generator powers up again and everything returns to normal. I spoke to Xantrax and Honda and did all they suggested but the problem is still there .I also increased the cable size above spec and moved the charger closer to the batteries .

It appears to be some sort of voltage drop and although everything is charging fine I’m concerned that i could be destroying the batteries.

www.byamee.com
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 04:25   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
You say the generator slows down to 2 amps, I suspect you mean the charger output since you are not charging with the generator. If the Honda is on the economy mode it will slow down when the load is off which means the charger is cutting out from charging. You could have a problem with the charger, Xantrex is known to be very problematic. OTOH if the generator is dropping RPMs with a load on it, due to a problem and the output is not enough to keep the Xantrex charging it can be a multitude if issues which if you can not diagnose, needs to be addressed by a service shop. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 06:50   #3

Boat: samson c-mist 32
you could just turn the eco-trottle switch off, so your gen runs at full output, perhaps it has something to do with the charging cycle on your charger.
emeraldsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 15:46   #4
TOM

Thanks waterwayguy for your responce.Forgot to mention that this problem does not ocure when charging using shore power only when using the Honda to charge .
Old 20-02-2010, 16:39   #5

Boat: Marples 40 Constant Camber
I haven't read the documentation for your charger but, if memory serves, some modern smart chargers suspend the charge at regular intervals in order to run state-of-charge tests on the battery. Might this be the "problem"?
pwratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 02:38   #6
TOM

Pwratch . You may be right .After reading your post i timed the intervel between drops in charge and it happens exactly every 15 minutes however the manual does not mention anything about this and it only happens when charging using the generator so still a little confused.

www.byamee.com
Old 21-02-2010, 02:51   #7

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Tom. Here is a quote from the owners guide.

Quote:

The charger pauses every 15 minutes for approximately 10 seconds to
measure the battery voltage and to check for new or disconnected
batteries. It then resumes charging. You may notice an occasional
change in fan speed on Truecharge 40+ as this takes place.
Check it out :

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/462/DocServe.aspx

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 05:16   #8

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
Tom,
I have been using the same set up of Honda generator and True charge for the past 4 years. Mine does the same thing, does not seem to hurt anything. My charger will do the same thing on shore power, but it seems not as often. However, I never measured the interval.
Old 21-02-2010, 05:48   #9
Eternal Member

It's the charger checking battery voltage. When the load drops, the Honda responds by slowing down, then resumes. This cannot hurt your batteries.

B.
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda