Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2022, 06:06   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Honda Generator putting in neg amps?

I put up a thread regarding batteries and monitor where the monitor shows the battery depleted when we don't think it is.

In thinking more about this, the only difference in the past 5 years is that we used a Honda EU2k to charge the battery while out to sea. When using it, the battery monitor showed it was putting in (I guess pulling out) Amps. It showed -13 to -18A on the monitor. There is a pronautic 20A battery charger.

I know that sometimes you can get the reverse polarity light on with the generator, but does this actually take A out of the battery? This is just because neutral and ground are not bonded at the generator. But that doesn't make sense that it would not let the charger do its job, the charger should rectify regardless of polarity?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3609508
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 20:23   #2

Re: Honda Generator putting in neg amps?

the AC politary has nothing to do with the battery monitor.

sounds like either the charger dc wires or monitor is wired wrong. you should be seeing +18 when the charger is on. you will need to trace the neg wires from the house bank to the shunt to make sure it's all correct.

you don't need 2 posts on the same subject...
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 05:15   #3

thanks. this is just happening after 6 years of it working well. the only variable has been that we used the honda. i believe in gremlins, but they don't rewire things :-)

Possibly the batteries have finally crapped out after 6 years of hard use, but I don't think they would fall off a cliff.

had the boat on only solar for last 24 hours, which should have put in some Ah, but it only shows 3Ah, so something is not working correctly.

turning off solar, leaving fridge on for a load to see what battery V is after 24 hours. My thinking is if battery is OK, it should be down to 12. If it is not OK, it would be down to 10?
Old 20-04-2022, 05:41   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Polarity for sure.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 05:44   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Lead acid batteries loose capacity in a year
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 12:01   #6

Well, was just at the boat. When using the solar panels, it puts + Amps in. When using either shore power or generator, it shows neg Amps going in (or amps coming out really). V is good, so am wondering if BEP monitor is fried or needs a reset. Found the manual, but says nothing about this condition from a charger.
The thing that bothers me the most is that for 2 years, when using shore power, we would see pos Amps. Only after using the Honda about 2 weeks ago did we see Neg amps. Now any AC source shows neg amps.
Old 22-04-2022, 09:36   #7

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Well, was just at the boat. When using the solar panels, it puts + Amps in. When using either shore power or generator, it shows neg Amps going in (or amps coming out really). V is good, so am wondering if BEP monitor is fried or needs a reset. Found the manual, but says nothing about this condition from a charger.
The thing that bothers me the most is that for 2 years, when using shore power, we would see pos Amps. Only after using the Honda about 2 weeks ago did we see Neg amps. Now any AC source shows neg amps.
Smells to me like the negative of your AC->DC charger is directly connected to the battery, rather than connected through the shunt of your BEP monitor.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda