Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2022, 14:59   #1

Honda EU2200is Generator oil light issues.

When checking gas condition noticed that there is water in gas tank. When checking oil condition noticed it looks a little weird in color and doesn’t look right. Tried to start up generator and it would not start; shot some starting fluid down intake and it started up for a second and then died. Drained / flushed out gas tank and put some fresh gas in tank and tried to start up with same results. Removed and cleaned carburetor and put everything back together. Started up generator and now it starts up and runs for a few seconds and then low oil light turns on and engine shuts down. Changed engine oil and have same results. Looked up wiring diagram for generator and tested low oil sensor and it checks out just fine. Disconnected harness and removed yellow wire to harness to bypass low oil sensor and tested again with same results. Removed front panel and bypassed the CO2 detector by disconnecting it and still have same results of engine running for a few seconds and then dies with red oil light turning on and staying lit for about 10 seconds or so.

Ive looked every where and cannot find out anything on why is still shuts down even though ive bypassed the oil sensor!

Any ideas!!
TTMECHANICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 17:02   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: Honda EU2200is Generator oil light issues.

Sounds like you have no oil pressure !
Old 30-11-2022, 15:41   #3

Would that be the low oil sensor? Even when bypassed i have the same result.
TTMECHANICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 16:45   #4

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Were you using non-ethanol fuel in the generator?
Do you run Stabil or similar fuel stabilizer in your fuel?
How long has it been since you ran it last?
Last time you used it, did you empty the fuel tank and run the generator until it died of fuel starvation?

If you run ethanol fuel, and it's been more than a few months or so since you used it last, I suspect you don't have an oil problem, but rather a fuel issue. Partially clogged jet, or stuck main metering valve/jet.
This same issue happened to me once, early on, with a Honda EU2000i. Cleaning out the carb corrected the problem. I try and run non-ethanol, always use Stabil, and always run the engine out of fuel if not using for more than a week or so. I've had two EU-2000's for about 12 years now. Just not on the boat. Still running strong!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2022, 21:24   #5

My EU2000i did the same thing. I was using it Ice fishing and stored it in a heated hut over night. I left the gas cap in the open position and left the big black dial in the run position. This big black dial is also the fuel shut off. Over the night the gas siphoned down past the carb and filled the crankcase with gas. It would not start. I didn't realize this till after I had done what you did and cleaned and checked everything. I pulled out the oil fill cap and gas and oil came gushing out. After topping it up with fresh oil and draining it a few times it fired right up. It does only run for about 6 hours now as opposed to 9 hours before. I guess I caused some wear and it's lost some compression
floater88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:55   #6

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

On a sidenote, and not directly related to the OP question:
I do not have a Honda, but my 3500 from maxpeedingrods has also the dial with stop/run/start.
It's not shown in the manual but if you turn the dial almost to stop, it blocks the fuel line and you can run it until it stops due to fuel starvation. Which means you store it with an empty carburator.

Possibly its the same on the Honda & maybe it's a helpful thing to know.
Old 01-12-2022, 16:26   #7

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
On a sidenote, and not directly related to the OP question:
I do not have a Honda, but my 3500 from maxpeedingrods has also the dial with stop/run/start.
It's not shown in the manual but if you turn the dial almost to stop, it blocks the fuel line and you can run it until it stops due to fuel starvation. Which means you store it with an empty carburator.

Possibly its the same on the Honda & maybe it's a helpful thing to know.
Honda 2000/2200 series do not have the fuel shut off feature
You have to tip it over to empty the fuel out of the tank, then start it to run it out of fuel.
In that respect the Harbor Freight Predator 2000 generator, I believe is superior to the Honda.
Half the price
has fuel shut off valve
comes with 12 charging cable at no additional charge
oil can be drained from Predator without causing a mess
But that's just my opinion after owning three Honda 2000 series generators, and one Predator 2000 . . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 18:54   #8

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
Honda 2000/2200 series do not have the fuel shut off feature
You have to tip it over to empty the fuel out of the tank, then start it to run it out of fuel.
In that respect the Harbor Freight Predator 2000 generator, I believe is superior to the Honda.
Half the price
has fuel shut off valve
comes with 12 charging cable at no additional charge
oil can be drained from Predator without causing a mess
But that's just my opinion after owning three Honda 2000 series generators, and one Predator 2000 . . . .
Are you sure? Sorry to second guess you on this.

It's an undocumented feature on the Predator.. You just turn the knob almost to off.
Maybe someone with the Honda could try?
Old 01-12-2022, 19:25   #9

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I have a Honda EU2200i Companion. I bought it after Florence trashed my dock in a marina in New Bern, NC in2018. I needed electricity to heat and light the boat. It has a fuel cut off that can be used to run the carb dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-12-01 222155.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	268230  
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 22:41   #10

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I had a similar problem on my EU2000i. Kept getting gasoline in the crank case. Turns out the float was stuck and the bowl was overflowing. The crankcase breather was channeling gasoline into the crankcase. Luckily my boat neighbor used to run a small engine repair shop and fixed it.
Old 02-12-2022, 14:39   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Gas is so expensive now I drain the carb and put it back in the tank
Old 12-05-2023, 05:22   #12

Sorry it looks like everyone got off the main original question, but i have the same problem with low oil sensor unplugged my light still comes on and looses spark. Any updates?
gasrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:02   #13

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasrepair View Post
Sorry it looks like everyone got off the main original question, but i have the same problem with low oil sensor unplugged my light still comes on and looses spark. Any updates?
If the oil switch is open = good and you have it disconnected then I would look for a short beyond where you have it disconnected.

If the oil switch line is shorting out the control board may be thinking it is closed even if it doesn't exist.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:30   #14

i did ohms test on ignition unit and it failed the first test, so I just ordered a new one and will update after I install it.
gasrepair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda, oil