Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2011, 23:57   #1

Honda eu2000i

Hello all,
I'm looking for some opinions on my idea to create an exhaust system for my Honda 2000. I've had it out on deck but I feel like the biggest a*#hole in the anchorage and am sick of having to find the mooring buoy that's the most secluded to keep from pissing my fellow cruisers off, so, I what to rig some stainless tubing from the engine room to the engine room blower exhaust which is virtually silent. Have any of you tried this? I think I will weld some kind of reducer from the half inch exhaust to 2 and a half tubing and go from there. Will this affect compression? There shouldn't be more than 6 to 8 ft of tubing from engine to exhaust outlet. Thanks
Muzzey9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 02:11   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Honda eu2000i

Your consideration for your fellow cruisers is admirable, but . . .

1. Are you operating the genset in your engine room? I would personally not like to have gasoline anywhere inside my own boat as I don't have bilge blowers which gasoline powered boats need to have in order to protect against a gasoline vapor explosion. I assume your boat is diesel powered? If so, I would keep the genset on deck and never store it someplace where gasoline vapors have a way to get into your bilge.

2. Small gasoline engines are very sensitive to exhaust back pressure. In your position I would either not bother, or I would surely conduct careful experiments before spending money or committing to some remote exhaust setup. You'll need to watch for loss of power and/or overheating.

A better solution might be a bigger battery bank and inverter, and run the genset only in the daytime when it doesn't bother anyone.

A more expensive solution might be to install a low-speed diesel genset in a sound enclosure. We have this and it is practically inaudible even inside the boat. People on other boats can't hear it at all.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 02:15   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Like Dockhead I find your intentions admirable. But in addition to his valid comments, consider that your Honda is air cooled. All of that hot air is going in your engine compartment. Even with an engine room blower, I think it will get unbearably hot in there.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 03:50   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

I leave mine in the cockpit & it only bothers me
One thing to bear in mind with the eu1000 anyway, if you get a blockage in the carb inlet then the fuel pump will dump the contents of the tank through a pipe straight to the base of the genny. Maybe not something you'd want inside anywhere.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 04:13   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Fire it up, and take a dinghy ride.... I cannot hear mine running in the cockpit from 30' away.... Certainly no more noise than a diesel genny running in an ER
Old 22-04-2011, 04:20   #6

I agree with Capt. Geo. The Honda 2000 is one of the more quieter generators around. Much quieter than the 2HP Honda BP 2 outboard I use for my dingy too! I also agree you do not want to run this gasoline or any gasoline generator below decks. But, you might want to check out some custom cases built by Maritime Plastics in Annapolis. I have no personal experience with them but, they look interesting and might help your concerns. They have some pictures at their website here:
mock3-cutup
Old 22-04-2011, 05:47   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Ran ours while tied up next to our friend with a 48ft cat, we could hear his genny running over our Honda eu2k which was above decks.
I dont think your bothering anyone.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 06:09   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

BTW, I was in Northern Tools in North Ft Myers yesterday and they had ONE Eu2000 for $995.00..... The others were $1200
Old 22-04-2011, 06:13   #9

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I agree with Capt. Geo. The Honda 2000 is one of the more quieter generators around. Much quieter than the 2HP Honda BP 2 outboard I use for my dingy too! I also agree you do not want to run this gasoline or any gasoline generator below decks. But, you might want to check out some custom cases built by Maritime Plastics in Annapolis. I have no personal experience with them but, they look interesting and might help your concerns. They have some pictures at their website here:
mock3-cutup
No experience with that company but I strongly advise against running an air-cooled generator in an enclosure. At home I ran a contractors generator in a Rubbermaid trash shed while ONE FRONT DOOR WAS LEFT OPEN and overheated the generator so it seized. Ambient temps were in the 50's Fahrenheit.

Your Honda EU 2000 is no louder than many inboard boat engines that are run to charge batts. You are obviously a considerate neighbor and if you run it mid-day you won't bother anyone.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 06:35   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

That is a very quiet generator. It is always nice to be considerate but in this case I think you may be worrying a bit too much. Run it when your neighbors are using their generators and they will never hear your generator.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 07:09   #11

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
BTW, I was in Northern Tools in North Ft Myers yesterday and they had ONE Eu2000 for $995.00..... The others were $1200
DONT BUY IT!!! Have them order the Companion model for 100.00 more.
The companion model has a true 15 amp outlet and will power up many larger load appliances that the regular EU2000 model won't. We learned the hard way.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 07:14   #12

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Here's an even better idea: Don't buy it because it's grossly overpriced.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 07:25   #13

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Also check out the Yamaha ef2000is. Very comparable in quality and other specs (very quiet) and a bit cheaper than the Honda.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 07:38   #14

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

This is a bit of a diversion from original noise topic but, if some company would make a small, portable 1000w diesel generator that could be stowed away somewhere, it would be worth that kind of money. Gasoline storage presents a real hazard on a sailboat. Would rather run my engine occasionally to charge batteries than deal with gasoline.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 07:48   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
This is a bit of a diversion from original noise topic but, if some company would make a small, portable 1000w diesel generator that could be stowed away somewhere, it would be worth that kind of money. Gasoline storage presents a real hazard on a sailboat. Would rather run my engine occasionally to charge batteries than deal with gasoline.
Don't you use gasoline anyway for your dink? I think most people are already storing gasoline on board. We keep a 5 gallon jerry can full of gasoline inside our folded up transom platform anyway for refueling the dinghy, and two would fit there without too much trouble. We have a fixed diesel generator, but storing gasoline for a portable genset would not be a problem.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda eu2000