Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2011, 02:00   #31

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
Re: Honda eu2000i

Buy some "complementary" earplugs for any who complain!!
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 04:11   #32

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Checked the specifications on the Honda web site and contacted the local Honda dealer. According to both sources the EU2000 and the EU2000 companion are identical in capacity; exact same engine, exact same generator/inverter. They claim the only difference is the companion has a 120V 30 A locking plug and breaker to use when connected to the EU2000 in companion mode.

I guess you might be able get a higher surge using the companion model standalone since it does have the 30 A breaker where the standard will kick the breaker at about half that. Think this would be overloading the generator and risking blowing something in the inverter stage.
The Companion model will start many low draw appliances that have a high start up draw. We compared the two and I could not believe the difference. The higher surge for start up only lasts a few seconds. I feel like ours will kick off the breaker too easily at times and that it is very very sensitive. We have used appliances that only had a startup draw of 10 or 11 amps and they trigger the breaker about half the time. I think Honda was a little over careful when designing the beaker on the 15 amp model.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 07:21   #33

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Checked the specifications on the Honda web site and contacted the local Honda dealer. According to both sources the EU2000 and the EU2000 companion are identical in capacity; exact same engine, exact same generator/inverter. They claim the only difference is the companion has a 120V 30 A locking plug and breaker to use when connected to the EU2000 in companion mode.

I guess you might be able get a higher surge using the companion model standalone since it does have the 30 A breaker where the standard will kick the breaker at about half that. Think this would be overloading the generator and risking blowing something in the inverter stage.
From what I read the companion has a steel sleve where the regular EU2000 is alumium
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 08:17   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

On a related couple of questions for the eu2000i:

1 - How do people normally connect it to their boats AC system?
2 - Does it have enough to start up a reverse cycle AC/heat system assumng it has the general rating to run the unit?
3 - Would it run the hot water heater?

thanks
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 09:08   #35

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

2 - Does it have enough to start up a reverse cycle AC/heat system assumng it has the general rating to run the unit?

thanks
It will run my hot water heater its wide open when doing so. As far as your hvac system plus cooling pump what size is the unit and amp draw start up? I run a 5200 btu unit in the aft cabin 8-10 hours on a tank of fule its not hard on it at all. The hot water I normally start the main to heat the water from the engine hope this helps.
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 09:16   #36

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:

thanks
We use a shore power cord with an adapter to 110.
It runs our 5k btu cruiseair unit and will run our dual batt charger @ the same time np.
It will run the water heater on 110, but not the water heater and ac at the same time. Cheaper too for us to start the diesel and get hot water in 20 minutes.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 09:17   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
This is a bit of a diversion from original noise topic but, if some company would make a small, portable 1000w diesel generator that could be stowed away somewhere, it would be worth that kind of money. Gasoline storage presents a real hazard on a sailboat. Would rather run my engine occasionally to charge batteries than deal with gasoline.
Little bit bigger, but only weighs in at 70 kgs, that is less than me:

Advance Yacht Systems Limited - Paguro boat generators, quiet, diesel marine generators, Paguro Generators from Volpi Tecno Energia

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Genny.jpg
Views:	1526
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	26738  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 10:37   #38

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:

thanks
1. The usual way via a regular plug to a 3 prong Marinco dealie. Be aware that it only supplies 10 amps or so (13 amps momentarily). I know this because I've had it cut out using a Makita circular saw with intent on some knot-filled lumber. Slowing down a bit caused no further issues.

The only question is the term "floating ground". There's some question in my mind about how to ground these units when using them as a charger into a three-prong set up. Two prong power tools? They work fine.

2. A qualified "maybe". I have a Marine Air 12,000 BTU AC/heat pump system, that eats DC amps to run but needs a AC-driven March pump to circulate sea water to either cool or heat the boat. From the numbers, a Honda 2000 may have enough "surge" amps to kick off the AC side plus the initial surge on the DC side, which drops to six/seven amps when actually running, but my instinct is to acquire a second Honda 2000 and to couple them together to remove all doubt. Also, having two gives me about 25 amps in total, enough to run the boat in econo mode and keep the batteries charging at the same time. Your mileage, etc.

3. Depends on the hot water heater, doesn't it? I have an Atlantic T6 something, a six-gallon unit plumbed for heat exchanger (preferred) or "dock kettle" AC use. Works like a charm, and draws (I think) 10 amps, which is close to the limit of the Honda in "econo" mode (which I recommend for the quieter operation and the increased run time).

I use my Honda as "supplemental" or tertiary power, after the alternators, and the solar panel/wind generators are considered. Instead of firing up the 2000W inverter (notice that the inverter/charger and Honda are sized the same), I fire up the Honda if I want to use a power tool for 10 minutes (I have a steel boat and use a lot of power tools). In some situations, I find it better to keep the inverter off and just run the Honda, like if I was running air tools and a compressor...and a Koolatron...on deck all day.

Lastly, of course, you can use them for general charging or to avoid having a built in inverter. I found they compliment the inverter in the same way that AIS compliments RADAR...nice to have and gives you options!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 11:21   #39

We were next to a boat in Key West that had their Honda inside of a pet carrier. Absolutely silent as far as we were concerned, and it kept it out of the weather while it was on deck.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 11:45   #40

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

They are pretty easy to rig for quietness. I've been thinking of asking Honda if I can rig a vented box that has an exhaust port and an active fresh air intake powered by a four to six-inch Peltier fan I could run off the 12 VDC socket. That way I could run it on deck in the rain on a rubber mat. I could experiment with a thermometer, but I figure as long as it stays below 50C in there, I'm good.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 13:06   #41

Boat: Islander 34

fwiw I've run my EU2000i almost every single day since I bought it two years ago, and for the first year (before rebuilding my boat electrical system) most days it was run for eight or more hours. I change the oil about once every two months or so.

for weatherproofing I basically leave a folded tarp wrapped around it full time, leaving the exhaust end open with a 4" lip to keep the rain/snow/sleet/whatever off it.

I have never once regretted the cost of the EU2000i. it has paid for itself many times over, and though living with generator up on deck is still loud, I don't even want to think about how much worse it would be if I saved the few hundred dollars and got a cheaper, louder, less reliable model.
Old 29-04-2011, 13:29   #42
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my honda 2k is 7 yrs old, looks like hell and runs like a dream and is quietest thing i have heaard. i donot worry about folks hearing it as they CANNOT--i know S I PADDLED MY KAYAK AROUND MY BOAT WITH THE DAMN THING RUNNING AND FOUND THE SILENT SPOT-- 30 FT FROM Y BOAT. ANYONE ANCHORING THAT CLOSE will be requested to please relocate as is way too close to my boat, and i refuse to be NICE at 0300 WHEN their boat hits mine.
honda gennies are now retailing AT 1395 FOR THE 2K in kali.. lol.. a diesel genny /genset is far louder than my lil honda.
when i had a built in batt charger on board i was able to hook up with my shore power cord--i had a special one made just for th e distance from h0nda to fitting....worked well. now i want my transformer back-- turns out is rebuildable...never let a racer lighten a cruise boat..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda eu2000