Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 11:07   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch
Honda EU2000 or Harbor Freight Predator?

I have used the Honda in the past and it is a fine generator. But about 6 months ago I purchased a Harbor Freight Predator for $429 (less than half price) which has basically the same specifications and I am over the moon about how good it is. Don't tell Harbor Freight but it is seriously under-priced.

I have easily run mine for nearly 1000 hours and it is as quiet as the Honda and so far as efficient and reliable that I just bought another. Like the Honda it is a modern inverter generator you can hook two up together to get 4kW peak, probably would solve a lot of problems people have starting up such things as the start-up loading of a powerful electric watermaker - once running, you just shut down one of the gensets.

One criticism i have for both - a simple front panel waterproof cover for the controls and AC plugs would be a great idea - or I'd be willing to buy a full rain cover that allows operation (allowing intake and exhaust).
Old 04-03-2018, 13:34   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Honda EU2000 or Harbor Freight Predator?

One downside is longevity, but not an issue for those only running a few hundred hours per year.

Replacement parts down the road

Propane conversion kit availability.

Minor issues for most
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 14:28   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

My take on Harbor freight predator is this.
While you may have gotten a good one, chances are much higher that you can pick a bad one.
So if you’re not going to stray far from harbor freight, go ahead and get one and use it. But if you’re going to be away from support, wouldn’t you rather gamble on getting a good Honda generator vs the much higher probability that you won’t get a good predator?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 15:55   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch

You re making an assumption that the Honda is more durable or reliable than the Predator. What evidence do you have? I actually bought a second unit (still in the box...) seems a better deal to me. Twofer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
While you may have gotten a good one, chances are much higher that you can pick a bad one.
So if you’re not going to stray far from harbor freight, go ahead and get one and use it. But if you’re going to be away from support, wouldn’t you rather gamble on getting a good Honda generator vs the much higher probability that you won’t get a good predator?
Old 04-03-2018, 16:02   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

I think the day of the Honda2000 being the clear product winner is over. It’s still living on the past, but a web search will show love to of others with great reviews at much less $$$$
Old 04-03-2018, 16:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
This logic doesn't jive with most of what I've read of Harbor Freight product comparisons. They made a video of testing impact wrenches and theirs kept up with the popular brands for half the price.
Doesn't surprise me folks are getting good results with this generator. There is no evidence to the contrary that I know of?
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 16:16   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ray View Post
You re making an assumption that the Honda is more durable or reliable than the Predator. What evidence do you have? I actually bought a second unit (still in the box...) seems a better deal to me. Twofer.
That's a good assumption. Look at the plastic parts such as the carburetor. Like most HF stuff, cheap doesn't equal value
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 17:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ray View Post

I’ve bought enough crap from harbor freight to recognize it for what it is. It’s a price point.
Old 04-03-2018, 17:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think the day of the Honda2000 being the clear product winner is over. It’s still living on the past, but a web search will show love to of others with great reviews at much less $$$$
I agree, now that the Honda EU20i has been superseded by the EU22i the crown will pass smoothly to it......

As for the HF line? can't say i have ever heard of or seen them down my way

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 17:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
This logic doesn't jive with most of what I've read of Harbor Freight product comparisons. They made a video of testing impact wrenches and theirs kept up with the popular brands for half the price.
Doesn't surprise me folks are getting good results with this generator. There is no evidence to the contrary that I know of?

You’ve read. Have you purchased and used?
Old 04-03-2018, 17:37   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Everything I've bought from Harbor Freight, I've done so under the assumption that it is basically disposable. I would say that assumption has been correct 90% of the time. They work, but their longevity is where they almost inevitably fall down.

Don't have any direct experience with their generators but most of their power tools have a pretty short lifespan and the initial quality can vary widely. I would be very concerned buying a $500 item from them and relying on it far away from any store. And the one consistent complaint you hear from people who buy cheap generators is that they don't last.

That said, the quality of stuff out of China is up and down and all over the place and changing all the time with factories improving their processes and designs and personnel. I have a bunch of Milwaukee 12v stuff and it's absolutely bullet proof. So it would not surprise me if HF stuff was getting better over time. But I'd have to experience it first hand.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 17:56   #12

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

We just did this same topic a couple of weeks ago when i posted up about the Ryobi versus Honda.

Many of us have had such good luck with the Hondas. I love Honda engines in anything they do. My Honda gas lawnmower...12 years or so...not a penny put into it other than blades. Starts first pull. I swear it is true.

But i also believe that competitors are making better and better mousetraps to compete with Honda. Ryobi for me...no disrespect Honda...I'll always love you. The Ryobi also has wifi on it so you can see what's left in the tank and output ampage right from the bunk with out going out in the rain to see what's in the tank.

As far as Harbor Freight...they always replaced any power tool i bought. I have some tools like sawzall that i have pounded hard that cost a third of what a Milwaukee costs and does the job just fine. Replace brushes ...that is it.

Guys...let's face it...we have prejudices ...and for good reasons. But Cheaper does not always mean less reputable. Yes, it does sometimes and i concede that point. But many times we are paying for a Brand Name and it is not worth 200% more than other manufacturers.

I paid 40 percent less for the Ryobi than the Honda.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:51   #13

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I've really missed my EU2000i since it was stolen a few years ago. It's really a tertiary backup, so I can't justify replacing it. Despite being a huge Honda fan, maybe it's time to consider alternatives.

I'd like to hear more specifics about why folks consider the HF or Ryobi knock-offs inferior. Generalizations are often valid, but I'm more interested in the details. Do they really have plastic carburetors vs. metal ones on the Honda? Are there other specific parts which are inferior or more prone to wear?

I'm really conflicted here. I know some folks insist on buying brand-name stuff regardless of any proof that it's better. I also know buying cheap crap can come back to bite you.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:34   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
That's a good assumption. Look at the plastic parts such as the carburetor. Like most HF stuff, cheap doesn't equal value
I'm with you on HF products. Occasionally they will advertise a brand name product. You best be the first one in the door to get the one, if that many, in stock. If it is something with no moving parts their stuff may be OK if you are not betting you life on it or don't mind throwing it or losing overboard.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:39   #15

I have a Northern Tools PowerHorse 2000 watt genny...Quiet as any Honda. I have no idea how many hours, it just runs and runs.

You can hook two of them together.

It also has a 30 amp plug in.

I paid $350 for it.

So I could by 3 of these guys before I paid for one Honda!!

Runs great, starts easily.
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, honda eu2000