Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 08:47   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch
Re: Honda EU2000 or Harbor Freight Predator?

I have been using my unit for about 5 hours per day for a few months now, and it is starting and running like new. After a year of use at this rate if it's still working well - and I will post the report - I think we can assume the prejudice against the Predator will dissipate.

BTW I have two and will commission the 2nd soon too. I have looked hard at the insides and can affirm that the build quality is about as good as the Honda as far as I can tell. Something not reported yet is that the online reviews are excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I’ve bought enough crap from harbor freight to recognize it for what it is. It’s a price point.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:57   #17

Put me down as another fan of the Predator. I got mine on sale and a 20% discount so 299 US. I bought it because the output was enough to handle start up on the AC which the Honda was not. I will be installing a soft start to take off more edge. The HB runs great and is easy to start and quiet, will run most of the night to power the AC. I am looking for a way to add an auxiliary tank.

I agree with earlier comments that the rest of the market is or has caught up with Honda. I think its not that the newcomers are under priced but the Honda is now overpriced.

In five years I may think different but I bought the extend warranty so until then.....

No doubt parts would be harder to get..
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:51   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

The Predator is seriously noisy at anything but idle. There are several videos on youtube on how to quiet it down. General opinion it is an intake baffling problem or more like lack of.

I bought mine about 5 months ago.

Don't have a Honda to compare it to but I've read the Honda's are much quieter in several blogs.

One ham blog said they tried using a Predator in the field and it had so much electrical noise they had to shut it down. Don't remember if they had tracked it down to noise on the power line, propagated as a radio signal, or both. Also don't know the model number of the Predator they used or if problem has since been rectified. I just wanted to bring it up as it might be an issue depending on your intended use.

Personally I've been happy with mine aside from the loud sound issue but a long extension cord fixed that. I have a boat on the hard with no ac power drop and am using it for my power tools.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:19   #19

Boat: Baltic 52

Two years later, the Predator is working just fine. Used for power at anchor, and for power when truck - camping. Great for the price!
Old 05-03-2018, 10:53   #20

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentobin View Post
The Predator is seriously noisy at anything but idle. There are several videos on youtube on how to quiet it down. General opinion it is an intake baffling problem or more like lack of.

I bought mine about 5 months ago.

Don't have a Honda to compare it to but I've read the Honda's are much quieter in several blogs.

One ham blog said they tried using a Predator in the field and it had so much electrical noise they had to shut it down. Don't remember if they had tracked it down to noise on the power line, propagated as a radio signal, or both. Also don't know the model number of the Predator they used or if problem has since been rectified. I just wanted to bring it up as it might be an issue depending on your intended use.

Personally I've been happy with mine aside from the loud sound issue but a long extension cord fixed that. I have a boat on the hard with no ac power drop and am using it for my power tools.
There was an extensive product review in QST magazine comparing the Honda with cheaper clones which confirmed the noise, both audible and RF generated, being much higher with the clones. It confirmed that the Honda reigns superior in every category after extensive testing.

What it doesn't show is the power of rationalizing buying decisions based on price rather than value. Or the compelling need to affirm past choices.

Given the empirical data, plastic parts, lack of availability for repair parts and propensity for breaking down, I would never recommend buying anything from HF except maybe a crowbar.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:16   #21
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Just note wrt noise, the small portable Ryobi and Champion inverter units are way quieter than even those from one or two years ago, so don't rely on noise reports based on older models.

Not saying they'll go as many trouble-free hours or be as fixable five years from now as the Honda's, to me that aspect is what justifies the premium for some use cases.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:45   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I have no horse in the race. Some time back someone was kind enough to post wave forms from the Honda. They were cleaner than public utilities provide. Now to run your water heater who cares to run electronics you may? It may be a consideration as to whether the price difference is worth it to you or not. I'd like to see if the cheaper units provide a nice clean sine wave. Possibly they do?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 13:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You’ve read. Have you purchased and used?
I have several of their tools. None used commercially but none have failed either. Would never trust a torque wrench or micrometer but other tools are just fine.
Am not a fan of China but I do like saving money to spend here at home.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 13:46   #24

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

[QUOTE=S/V Illusion
I would never recommend buying anything from HF except maybe a crowbar.[/QUOTE]

SV Illusion, are you trying to pi$s off my sawzall? He has been very good Harbor Freight tool. Cost me a third of what a Milwaukee costs. Say you didn't mean it and he will go back to sleep until i begin deconstruction on the kitchen.

Honestly guys, i fully understand tool snobbery. I got tools in my boxes that my grandfather used. They actually look pretty cool and still work. I paid less about 50% less than the Honda. Has higher start up Watts than Honda. Has wifi that i can use my phone to shut it off or start it up. I can see what is left on the tank and what is available in tank at current burn rate. After the hurricane wiped out electric grid in Puerto Rico...many people rave about the Ryobi Bluetooth. Using it for months at a time with 16 hour day usage.

If you want to be tool snobs...and i love honda's too...but i don't need to pay twice as much for snobbery.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 14:30   #25

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Gosh, this Harbor Freight versus Honda generator mirrors a number of exchanges on various forums, not just CF (and not just Honda). The one I recall most vividly, from a number of years ago, involved a small power tool. As it turned out the high priced (and perhaps better) one cost five times as much as the HF version. Both versions did the same task. Several contributors/proponents of each side had similar projects, and took them on using the tool they favored. The higher priced ones did indeed outlast the HF versions (with one major exception-probably an outlier for any statistician) but the HF advocates spent mush less, and, as I recall, had a better tool left than those still using their original higher priced tool at the end (I do not if the HF users were typically their second, third or even fourth HF version). I do not anticipate any empirical comparisons with generators, but as with many choices, each as to his own selection criteria.
Old 05-03-2018, 18:52   #26

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Here is my take, I use 4-1/2 inch angles grinders in my metal fabrication business day in and day out. Hard usage. My last name brand grinder was a Ryobi which had its switch go bad within a year. I tried Harbor Freight and have been using them for 12+ years. $120 versus $15. The first one lasted about 3 years. I also bought their 8” bench grinder and have been using it for about 6 years. 1/2 inch impact gun also. Harbor Freight equipment for the most part is a very good value.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 19:13   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

I bought my 1st Generator in 1980. Used it on the job site for 5 years...then around the shop and odd jobs since. It still runs fine. Honda.
5 years ago I bought a little 8 amp generator from HF ...deliver to my door for $100.
Went for the smaller size for space concerns.
Used it in my camper ...mostly to recharge batteries when off grid. Now it is on my boat serving the same duty mostly. Takes up very little room.
I have been buying tools from HF for over 20 years. That tells you what I think of Harbor Freight.
My Snap On mechanic tool box is mostly full of Snap On Tools ....tells you I appreciate excellent tools.
On a boat in a salt water environment?
I would never put an expensive generator like a Honda in harms way like that.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 19:55   #28

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Here's a interesting video.
Comparing Honda 2000 to several other brands.
Noise and power drop at load and eco idle. https://youtu.be/MzsJ4RksYn4
Couldn't be happier with my Honda2000, never failed to start, quiet, lite weight.
While HB is cheaper, I've had a lot of returns with them.
Cheers
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 23:51   #29

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
We just did this same topic a couple of weeks ago when i posted up about the Ryobi versus Honda.

Many of us have had such good luck with the Hondas. I love Honda engines in anything they do. My Honda gas lawnmower...12 years or so...not a penny put into it other than blades. Starts first pull. I swear it is true.

But i also believe that competitors are making better and better mousetraps to compete with Honda. Ryobi for me...no disrespect Honda...I'll always love you. The Ryobi also has wifi on it so you can see what's left in the tank and output ampage right from the bunk with out going out in the rain to see what's in the tank.

As far as Harbor Freight...they always replaced any power tool i bought. I have some tools like sawzall that i have pounded hard that cost a third of what a Milwaukee costs and does the job just fine. Replace brushes ...that is it.

Guys...let's face it...we have prejudices ...and for good reasons. But Cheaper does not always mean less reputable. Yes, it does sometimes and i concede that point. But many times we are paying for a Brand Name and it is not worth 200% more than other manufacturers.

I paid 40 percent less for the Ryobi than the Honda.
I have had very good results with Ryobi. You also get 2300 watts for that 40% discount; something to consider.[URL="https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Bluetooth-2-300-Watt-Super-Quiet-Gasoline-Powered-Digital-Inverter-Generator-[/URL]
Old 06-03-2018, 16:20   #30

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Since we're on the subject of these generators, how are you hooking it up to your shore power? What kind of adapter? Two 120's to a single or one 120 adapter for your shore power cable?

Thanks,
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, honda eu2000