Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2008, 12:38   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
I did a Google search for synchronizing inverter and came up empty. Has anyone seen this mythical beast? I have dreamed of running a small ac unit off my EU2000 and knew there should be a way to draw off the house bank to cover peak loads. This is it. Now who actually sells a synchronizing inverter?
I don't know, but I'd check with Xantrex. They might have one or they might know where you can get one.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 12:51   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Nigel Calder (Calder Enterprises) will be speaking about Synchronizing Inverters at IBEX 2008 (Session 306, Tuesday, October 7/08):
A Synchronizing Inverter has the ability to parallel its output with either a shore power cord or an onboard ac generator, picking up inrush currents, and sharing peak loads.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 13:20   #18

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
A friend of mine just converted his 2000 to LP and is happy with it... I have one and would love to avoid gasoline on my boat... so I'm about to buy one of these. Anyone have experience with it?

Steve
Old 25-08-2008, 13:33   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Microship,

I have the conversion kit for the eu2000 for LP but have not installed it as of yet. In fact I even bought the second carb for the unit so that I could quickly change back to gas.

I originally bought the kit because I use the Honda as a hurricane backup. There is enough power to chilll down the fridge and/or freezer for an hour or three each day and then run a 5,000 btu window air conditioner for night time. Heat and humidity plus bugs can make a post-hurricane miserable.

The reason I haven't done it is that I'd need a ton of propane tanks. One 20 lb tank is the equivalent of only about 4.75 gal of gasoline. For a household that has an big exterior propane tank, that's fine. For the boat it just seemed impractical, and expensive, to have a sufficient number of propane tanks. Especially since I need to have gasoline on board anyway for the dinghy.

I suspect that my little conversion kit that seemed such a good idea will remain in the original box I received it in for a very long time.

You might also want to check but on the conversion kit I bought, it would be necessary to drill a hole in the housing to pass the LP line in. I just hate drilling holes in things I own if I can avoid it.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 14:34   #20

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Rich...

Thanks for the excellent info - I saw those charts on consumption but didn't really make the connection... much appreciated!

Think I'll hold off on that project for a bit. I don't otherwise need gasoline on board, but it might be worth it (though I do have a 7.5 KW diesel genset).

Cheers and fair winds!
Steve
aboard Nomadness
Old 26-08-2008, 09:25   #21

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Victron Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
I did a Google search for synchronizing inverter and came up empty. Has anyone seen this mythical beast? I have dreamed of running a small ac unit off my EU2000 and knew there should be a way to draw off the house bank to cover peak loads. This is it. Now who actually sells a synchronizing inverter?
Victron's Quattro inverter/charger will do what you want, but I'm not sure you'll be willing to pay for it...

I seriously considered it when replacing the electrical system on Beausoleil, but at > $5000US list price, we went with something not so feature-rich.
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 09:48   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Victron MultiPlus Charger/Inverter also syncs with shore or gen power to handle the larger surges seamlessly, with something they call “Power Assist.

They start at about 600 Euro

http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/...1000-D-dEN.pdf

I have the Multiplus 24/3000/70-30 and am very happy with it’s features
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 11:40   #23

Boat: 1992 Beneteau Oceanis 390 #60 (38'4") "Fun Sway"
You may want to consider replacing the air conditioner with a newer, more efficient unit.

My 1992 air conditioner would not work on the Honda 2KW generator. When that old A/C died I replaced it with a 2008 Cruisair unit, model STX-16-HV (apparently also known as STQ16K). It's rated as a 16,000 BTU heat pump (does both air conditioning and heating). The specs say full load amps for cooling is 9.4 amps at 115vac, so that's less than 2000 watts. I haven't had a chance to test the new A/C on the Honda generator yet, but I will sometime this season and I'll report back the results.

One thing I noticed about this new A/C is that it has no perceptible A/C motor strain when the compressor starts up. So I haven't had any problems with surge current popping the boat's circuit breaker. It also seems to be more quiet than the original unit.

Specs are here
http://www.cruisair.com/sheets/L-2502B.pdf

I got it from Nautical Air 631-956-3456 for just under $2,600 with overnight shipping and New York State sales tax (8.75%). They had it in stock, so I got it the day after I ordered it. I highly recommend Nautical Air - they've been very helpful when I had questions.

And for the record: I have no personal or business relationship with either Nautical Air or CruisAir.
Rich-LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 08:56   #24
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Can anyone tell me where to get the bulkhead fitting that is discussed for feeding the generator off of a larger fuel tank.

TIA

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 10:01   #25

The article that I referred to by Nigel Calder did refer to the synchronizing inverters being built by Victron Energy. They offer a wide variety of inverters with this capability, called the MultiPlus inverter.

This type of inverter coupled to modern A/C units with variable speed and/or highly efficient compressors should make running even multiple A/C units possible off a Honda generator.

I have no idea about costs however....

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 10:28   #26

I spoke to a rep at a major marine electrical supply house that services a lot a very large boats. They are Victron Energy dealer. He said they have stopped selling the Multiplus systems because so many have failed in the field. One customer had two replaced under warranty and was on his third. They are also very expensive.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 19:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
David,

I have used the Honda EU2000i for three seasons in the Bahamas now. I have a Heart inverter/charger which can put out 100 amps. I regularly see over 90 amps going into the batteries with the Honda. My house bank is a bit over 400amps (2 4D's) plus an echo charge to the start battery.
Hi Rick: We also have Honda 2000 on Tartan 42 Caretta. Worked fine to run 5000 Btu A/C in Mexico 2 years, but this June, 2008, we hooked up through boat shore plug to charge via Heart 2000 Watt Inverter Charger - It blew the charger. Xantrex suspects the "floating ground" on the AC output oif the Honda??? They said this since no shore "ground" when at sea, so 60 volts on Honda ground pin may do this?
How have you overcome this problem??
Would appreciate any input.
John
s/v Caretta
Vancouver, BC
jonboy834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 13:19   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy834 View Post
Hi Rick: We also have Honda 2000 on Tartan 42 Caretta. Worked fine to run 5000 Btu A/C in Mexico 2 years, but this June, 2008, we hooked up through boat shore plug to charge via Heart 2000 Watt Inverter Charger - It blew the charger. Xantrex suspects the "floating ground" on the AC output oif the Honda??? They said this since no shore "ground" when at sea, so 60 volts on Honda ground pin may do this?
How have you overcome this problem??
Would appreciate any input.
John
s/v Caretta
Vancouver, BC
I haven't looked at the Honda EU2000 but on my Generator, there is a ground lug on the chassis. I think if you connect this to the boats common AC/DC ground, you wouldn't be floating. This same problem can also cause problems with GFCI plugs.
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 14:05   #29

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
John,

I have the Heart/Zantrex 2000 inverter/charger too with the 100 amp charger. The reverse polarity light on my A/C panel comes on when using the Honda. At first I was concerned but in discussing it with others found out this was commonplace with the Honda and it was explained as a "floating ground". I have had no problems at all using a short extension cord and a 15/30 amp cheater to hook up to my shorepower. Many of the guys I know use the same set-up in the Bahamas and no one has had a problem like yours. If I remember right, my inverter/charger is on a gif plug, don't know if this makes a difference but once I thought the inverter/charger has died and looked at the back hoping for a fuse or something and spent all night worrying about it. There was nothing to be done with the inverter/charger. Then I remembered the gif and checked it, reset it and everything was fine. It has only happened once and I've been using that Honda at anchor for a few years now. I don't know if the gif was blown by the Honda, can't remember but I don't think it was. Sorry if this doesn't help you but ,not knowing too much about either a/c or d/c electricity, I can't understand how the Honda can blow the charger. Maybe some of the electrical wizards on this site can explain.
Old 05-11-2008, 18:45   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
I saw this on another forum, I guess it would depend what type of a?c unit you have. There are pictures of this as well on the website but I can't seem to find them.

I haven't looked at it in great detail but it might be worth checking out.

A/C and generator - SailboatOwners.com

Quote:
My Honda just doesn't have the power to turn my over either. Well in the heat of last week when my house AC blew, the guy fixing it (blown capacitor) showed me a temp fix until they could get the part. Its called a 'Super-Boost - solid state relay and Hard Start Capacitor' Model SPP6. He told me to wire it in parallel with the existing capacitor and will have that little kick the compressor needs. I was looking the boat this last weekend and plan on trying this coming weekend when I bring the Honda down. Will let you know if it works or whether I need a new boat. I found it on ebay and payed $9.96 for it, you might find it local but I didn't try to.JimS/V Java
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda eu2000