Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 03:35   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Honda 10i noise level over time? Does it get louder?

[QUOTE=a64pilot;3154767]I do always when entering an anchorage go as far away from other boats as possible, and leave the Honda on display, it’s easily seen. Funny thing is if you anchor away, boats seem to gravitate to you, I have no idea why, but you can be the only boat in a two square mile anchorage and a boat that arrives will drop anchor near to you.

Ha this made me laugh!
If you think its bad just anchoring try sticking a fishing rod ( pole in USA English) over the side & look interested.
Observe the behaviour of sheep & wonder no more.

I find it hard to be too judgemental about Hondas in an anchorage when we have to run our Yanmar single propulsion engine very rarely for charging.
Must admit that small diesels with a water injected exhaust are less obnoxious than a petrol engine, even a fourstroke.

Hanging from rubber cords sounds like a plan.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:54   #32

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Honda 10i noise level over time? Does it get louder?

You are right it's business related & it won't need to run all the time, but, sometimes it will.
The tiny genset is really kind of the only option to live onboard if you are working in CGI (www.das3dstudio.de).
I did recently upgrade to much more energy efficient equipment (300watts). Before it was 750watts an hour.
Unfortunately typical office equipment just does not cut it for CGI.

As stated above, I'd prefer to go all solar, but we do not have the deckspace to have enough panels for household loads and business.
Neither do we have the load carrying ability for the huge amount of batteries needed.
It's 11kg for the Honda vs. roughly 200kg for a solar & battery solution.
Neither do we have the space for all those batteries.
As mentioned earlier money wise the solar would cost about 10 times as much, and the batteries would need replacing eventually too...

All in all we will choose our location wisely when we know an extended time of operation comes up.
As Lady Rover is a cat I usually anchor in shallow waters anyway, and there tend to be fewer boats, as none of the monos are close by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I do always when entering an anchorage go as far away from other boats as possible, and leave the Honda on display, it’s easily seen. Funny thing is if you anchor away, boats seem to gravitate to you, I have no idea why, but you can be the only boat in a two square mile anchorage and a boat that arrives will drop anchor near to you.
But I also obey “quiet hours” meaning no real early running or late afternoon either. I have only once or twice run it at night, but there were no boats around and we were cold, which has only happened I think twice in five years.

It’s none of my business what they plan, but I think it may be business / making money while you cruise related and not running an AC overnight, and that is a little different.

Tags
honda, noise