Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 15:03   #1

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2
Hitachi 80A Alternator - replace voltage regulator

Had an identical spare aboard (purchased used from a CF member several years ago) ... thank goodness. Now need to fix the voltage regulating electronics in the "bad one". How difficult is this repair ... while I am very handy I've never had an alternator apart. Where does one source the voltage regulating components, do they snap in or require soldering onto a PC board? How much would a repair shop charge ... and are there even alternator repair shops in this disposable world? Thanks - Alan
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 08:37   #2

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Re: Hitachi 80A Alternator - replace voltage regulator

Rather than repair the existing alternator, I'd consider modifying it to be regulated externally, and then add a Balmar MC-614 regulator, including temp sensors for both alternator and house batteries. You could keep the other one with its internal regulator as a spare. That's how I just finished setting up my charging system.

See this article and others by Maine Sail:

Automotive Alternators vs. Deep Cycle Batteries Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 16:08   #3

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2
Re: Hitachi 80A Alternator - replace voltage regulator

The used replacement alternator has worked flawlessly, so that confirms the internal voltage regulator failed on the original. I am going to have the internal voltage regulator replaced next week in Vero Beach, FL and while apart, have the shop inspect the rest of the internals. I am usually at anchor so I rely on my genset to power my 60A charger and 400 watts of solar, so external regulation's expense and complications are not necessary for me.
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, regulator