Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 11:55   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Help in Buying a Wind Generator

Just started to look around for a wind generator. So far I see Air Breeze, Superwind, Air X, Silent wind,
Kiss, Ampair, Rutlant. I have a 33 foot monohaul with a solar panel. Even though we are in the Caribbean, there are days without sun, generally wind. So I want to augment my system. We have a refrig, computers, lights, GPS, Auto Pilot that we run. My wife is in favor of the purchase as long as it is quiet.
The Electric Energy D400 is a little pricy at 2,000. Would like to keep it around 1,000US. Thoughts
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 13:28   #2

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw
Just started to look around for a wind generator. So far I see Air Breeze, Superwind, Air X, Silent wind,
Kiss, Ampair, Rutlant. I have a 33 foot monohaul with a solar panel. Even though we are in the Caribbean, there are days without sun, generally wind. So I want to augment my system. We have a refrig, computers, lights, GPS, Auto Pilot that we run. My wife is in favor of the purchase as long as it is quiet.
The Electric Energy D400 is a little pricy at 2,000. Would like to keep it around 1,000US. Thoughts
I have a air breeze that works fine. I think it's very quiet - but some people disagree (I am sure they will start posting soon). It's quieter than halyards slapping on the mast for sure.

I also have a similar size boat and equipment and it keeps everything running when it's windy.
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 16:20   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Help in buying a wind generator

OK, I'll bite - the Airbreeze is better than the Air-x, which is like a helicopter inside your head - it's more like an old British Seagull outboard inside your head. The boats I don't mind anchored next to me have the Spreco, the D400, or an Air-x/Airbreeze fitted with Spreco blades.

Really, you have to (not)hear the Spreco to appreciate that you don't have to "get used to" windgens or drive everyone else close to murder with the noise.

Edit: rebel heart (below) reminded me that I don't mind Kiss generators next to me also.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 16:28   #4

The D400 is great; I'm buying one in a bit. A couple friends have them and the reviews are almost universally positive. I had an AirX that seized up on me and getting it repaired was going to cost as much as buying a new one. When it ran it was really noisy. It makes a helicopter noise. The reliability on the AirX models is really all over the place but there's a lot of folks with problems (beyond the noise).

You can check the KISS ones as well. I don't have any firsthand experience with them but I'd certainly take my chances with one of those before another AirX.

Wind Generators Kiss High-Output Wind Generator
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 15:42   #5

Several boats in Boot Key Harbor are using the Sunforce. They seem very quiet. One trawler has two mounted and going by in the dinghy I've not heard them on 15/20 mph winds? I'm going to look at them.
Dual Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Dreams View Post
Several boats in Boot Key Harbor are using the Sunforce. They seem very quiet. One trawler has two mounted and going by in the dinghy I've not heard them on 15/20 mph winds? I'm going to look at them.
The amazon reviews spooked me a bit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000C1Z2VE
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 19:04   #7
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

been running an air x for 7 years. till I scrapped the factory board for a bridge rectifier it broke down regularly. The factory boards have programmed chips that can lose their program from a static spark and that junks the whole board. Anyone that has a nonfunctioning air x Id like to buy it from them.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 19:19   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Dreams View Post
That is an Air-X - even the picture on Amazon shows it with an Air-X owners manual.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 19:38   #9

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU

We're very satisfied with our Air-X Marine (2009). Mounted on a 12' SS mast at the stern of our Leopard 42, it just spins and makes electricity. The sound level is just background 'white noise' that doesn't bother us at all. Take care with the installation using vibration isolation mounts, and it should be no problem.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 23:33   #10

Boat: Leopard 43
Another vote for the Air Breeze. We had 2 on our last boat and they were quiet enough in light wind and started making power in only 6 knts of wind.

We had the Kiss wind gens before but removed them as they have to be monitored in high wind. We never felt safe leaving them running when we were not on board.

CJ
s/v Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:04   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help in buying a wind generator

AeroGen.... only way to go for Quiet Efficiency...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:50   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Superwind and D400 are the ones to beat. Kiss has mecanical problems now and hen and AeroGen produces little power but both are silent enough.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:34   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help in buying a wind generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
AeroGen produces little power but both are silent enough.

cheers,
Nick.
Mine ran everything well enough.. a 34ftr.. WP/GPS/Fridge/VHF/Music/Fans/Lights/Pumps... oh and 500W inverter...
but guess folk with a more sophisticated setup may need something else...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:37   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Mine ran everything well enough.. a 34ftr.. WP/GPS/Fridge/VHF/Music/Fans/Lights/Pumps... oh and 500W inverter...
but guess folk with a more sophisticated setup may need something else...
Oh yes, the output of the AeroGen can be enough, it all depends on what you use (it wouldn't be enough for my loud rock music alone )... all I mean is that other silent windgenerators of same or even smaller size, produce more power. Which also comes with more cost of the windgen itself I must add.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:51   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Oh yes, the output of the AeroGen can be enough, it all depends on what you use (it wouldn't be enough for my loud rock music alone )... all I mean is that other silent windgenerators of same or even smaller size, produce more power. Which also comes with more cost of the windgen itself I must add.

ciao!
Nick.
LOL... its my $500 (£'s) mind set... last time I bought one it was in the budget... mind that was the mid range model... not the 6...

Tags
buying, generator, wind generator