Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2015, 23:57   #31

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20
Re: Help build my solar setup

RE: My previous comment on the Solar Impulse 2 mission (not trying to hijack this, but it does involve a very neat SOLAR powered airship).

I found the link for reading various realtime mission status parameters here: Solar Impulse RTW - 8th Leg from Nagoya to Hawaii

Yeow, is that neat! Almost like reading your ownship data on the Raymarine or whatever...

Quote:
Track from the live aircraft telemetry the altitude and electrical energy stored in the batteries, depending on solar days and nights. Solar Impulse climbs up to more than 8 000m during the day while charging its batteries, and then glides through the night, relying on electrical energy gathered during the previous day... until the sun comes back in the morning.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:02   #32

Boat: 2005 38' admiral executive cat

We are "newbies" and want to upgrade our current solar, which is two 10 yr. old 100 watt panels. Our boat is an Admiral 38, which has a hardtop that easily accommodates the current panels. Can anyone give me some references for vendors in the Tampa/St. Pete area as well as basic references for marine solar?? Right now we don't live near the boat, so I'll have to get someone else to do the work, but currently don't even know which questions to ask!
skippermalolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 08:26   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.

Thanks for a very educational thread, folks. I'm doing some advance research on solar, with intentions of putting panels on some new davits which are being fabbed as we speak. As this follows a complete re-decking, we're starting from scratch, and I may have the opportunity here to space the davits to suit easy mounting of the panels, given certain parameters dictated by their primary dingus-hoisting duties.

So, I'm trying to get my carts and horses in the right order. I have some Solar For Dummies-level questions:
1) Do the larger panels conform to a certain "standard" length and width?
2) Do these solar panel companies usually include or offer mounting frames and/or hardware, or will I need my stainless guy to fabricate all that?
3) If no "standard" dimensions apply, then I'm looking at picking a brand and model of panel first. I like the sound of Sunpower's claim to have addressed the shading issue, at least in part. That seems to allow for a simpler overall system, and I gotta think fewer connections mean fewer issues down the road, particularly in a saltwater environment. Socaldmax, do I gather that you have Sunpower? Do they have a Marine page? Their website seems to be geared entirely towards land-based applications. Is the 327w their largest-output panel? If you actually own them, could I impose upon you to tell me their length and width, or even better post a spec sheet here?

Thanks!
Geoff
Old 18-07-2015, 08:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff S. View Post
Thanks for a very educational thread, folks. I'm doing some advance research on solar, with intentions of putting panels on some new davits which are being fabbed as we speak. As this follows a complete re-decking, we're starting from scratch, and I may have the opportunity here to space the davits to suit easy mounting of the panels, given certain parameters dictated by their primary dingus-hoisting duties.

So, I'm trying to get my carts and horses in the right order. I have some Solar For Dummies-level questions:
2) Do these solar panel companies usually include or offer mounting frames and/or hardware, or will I need my stainless guy to fabricate all that?
3) If no "standard" dimensions apply, then I'm looking at picking a brand and model of panel first. I like the sound of Sunpower's claim to have addressed the shading issue, at least in part. That seems to allow for a simpler overall system, and I gotta think fewer connections mean fewer issues down the road, particularly in a saltwater environment. Socaldmax, do I gather that you have Sunpower? Do they have a Marine page? Their website seems to be geared entirely towards land-based applications. Is the 327w their largest-output panel? If you actually own them, could I impose upon you to tell me their length and width, or even better post a spec sheet here?

Thanks!
Geoff
Check out emarine, https://www.emarineinc.com/solar-panel-index this is a good reference to panel sizes. I bought my panel from them, no other connection. They also sell panel mountings for boats. Gave me good advice.

Good luck, Bob
BobH260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 09:27   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Excellent page, Bob, thanks!
Old 18-07-2015, 09:48   #36

Help build my solar setup

Concerning marine panels. I was told Kyocera is the only company that will warranty their panels when used on a boat. We only have a simple single panel system, Kyocera 325 W, Rogue controller, mounted from the Hunter arch and then over the aft bimini. Avery simple inexpensive install. It provides all our power when at anchor. We have all LED lights, large fridge, good sized freezer. Budget is about 80 to 125 Ahr per day. Have a 400 Ahr AGM house bank. Often back to 100% around noon time then charge laptops, iPad, phone etc.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BobH260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 10:33   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff S. View Post

Thanks!
Geoff
There is no standard size, but the larger panels are all roughly 65" long x 39-50"w. The 230-275w ones are usually closer to 39-40" wide, the 300w and over panels are usually 50-51" wide. The specs are easily found online for all popular brands.

I don't have Sunpower panels, but I plan on buying them when I buy a boat. Yes, their sales and marketing seems to be toward large land based projects and residential systems., Their 25 yr warranty specifically excludes installation in direct contact with salt water.

Someone posted on here that they self installed Sunpower panels and had a problem, Sunpower sent a tech out who decided the panels were defective and installed the new panels for them. I don't recall the poster's name, but I believe them.

I'm planning on a large arch/dinghy davit stretching from outboard hull to outboard hull on a 45' cat. I should be able to mount 7 panels in a fore/aft configuration on that arch, aft of the boom.

They do have a higher efficiency panel in the 425watt range, but it's even longer, the output voltage is higher and I'm sure it's much more expensive per watt.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 19:25   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, guys. It's a shame that most, including Sunpower, don't warrant them for marine use...though the second-hand story of them taking care of a boating customer anyway is encouraging. Socaldmax, where did you find your info on available models for them? I've scoured their site, and they don't make it easy to browse their product line. Do you happen to know the lengths and widths for the 327 and 425?
Old 18-07-2015, 19:52   #39

I just do a google search for "sunpower 327 specs" or "sunpower 425 specs" and it pops right up.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 20:06   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, duh! I should start a Web Surfing For Dummies thread... Thanks.

Tags
solar