Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 14:20   #16
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Grunert -off generator reefers what were they thinking?

Eutectic holding plates are just fine and modern refrigeration technology, many world-class makers offer systems that are far more efficient than you can do DIY or using a portable unit.

However they are suited for when you have limited time periods with "excess power" at least once a day, like lots of solar charging a relatively small battery bank, or a generator you're already running anyway.

Note also the key factor for efficiency and effective freezing / refrigeration is insulation, and it does break down over time.

Learn about your system, test it out thoroughly, you may well find re-insulating the box may be all that's needed.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:59   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

We do about 5-6 holding plate recycle project a month these days and all of them once started their lives as either engine driven or 120v AC compressor units. Back in the day before the advent of efficient 12v compressors if you wanted Cold Beer and Ice Cream it was a pricey and complicated proposition! In fact that's the type of system Technautics started building back in 1968, but we haven't built an engine driven or big AC system in about 20yrs now (except for the larger sports fisher boat who always have a generator or shore power plugged in). For cruising boat, 12v DC is the way to go and then you can have the debate about evaporation plates vs eutectic holding plates.

So if you already have plates custom made for your Box, you could retrofit the compressor and have one DC unit running the two holding plates in your freezer box and one DC compressor running the single holding plate in your refrigerator box.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:07   #18

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendana View Post
Hi There all, thanks so much for the replies.

I'm feeling I need to find out a little more although I suspect it is the sort that you run the generator for 1 hour every morning (not really what I want to do) and it is supposed to stay cold for 24 hours....I am sure this will NOT sustain a freezer. A freezer is important to me for extended cruising...

I have no difficulty working out what I will need in Solar/Wind renewables and battery power for 'normal' units....I'm just trying to work out whether I should keep these or bite the bullet.
You still don't clarify what system you are looking at.

If you have a belt driven compressor that runs off the diesel then you can keep food frozen by running it for around 30 - 60 minutes every 12 hours. Changes to the battery bank are not necessary.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator