Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2021, 16:57   #1

Boat: C&C 30 Mk I
grounding AC via distribution panel bus bar?

My ongoing refit of an C&C 30 involves replacing the 1973 AC system completely, and my trusty Don Casey manuals tell me I should ground it to the engine / DC ground bus. I know this is isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm going to err on the side of caution.

My question: rather than splice in a wire from my AC run to the bus / engine, can I just run a ground wire from an unused terminal of the ground bus of my Blue Seas AC distribution panel (which is this one) to the ground bus / engine?
Buddy_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 17:11   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: grounding AC via distribution panel bus bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Y View Post
My ongoing refit of an C&C 30 involves replacing the 1973 AC system completely, and my trusty Don Casey manuals tell me I should ground it to the engine / DC ground bus. I know this is isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm going to err on the side of caution.

My question: rather than splice in a wire from my AC run to the bus / engine, can I just run a ground wire from an unused terminal of the ground bus of my Blue Seas AC distribution panel (which is this one) to the ground bus / engine?
Let's hear what the experts have to say, but my experience with this is, NO (don't connect the AC ground to any part of the DC ground)

Some, (many?) marine inverters connect the neutral AC wire to the Ground wire. If you connect the AC panel's ground to the boat's DC ground then you effectively have half of an AC potential on ALL of your boat's grounds. And this is in addition to having the AC grounded in more than one place.

But if you don't mind having a little tingle whenever you touch a grounded part of your boat, then it doesn't matter where the connection is made, go for it.
Old 11-07-2021, 20:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Let's hear what the experts have to say, but my experience with this is, NO (don't connect the AC ground to any part of the DC ground)
That's an ongoing debate over on this other thread. Cheers.
Old 11-07-2021, 20:54   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Fit an RCD to the feed in and don’t connect AC earth to DC ground
Old 11-07-2021, 21:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Fit an RCD to the feed in and don’t connect AC earth to DC ground
May i ask what an RCD is?
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 21:08   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

Some, (many?) marine inverters connect the neutral AC wire to the Ground wire. If you connect the AC panel's ground to the boat's DC ground then you effectively have half of an AC potential on ALL of your boat's grounds. And this is in addition to having the AC grounded in more than one place.

But if you don't mind having a little tingle whenever you touch a grounded part of your boat, then it doesn't matter where the connection is made, go for it.
1. ABYC requires AC ground be bonded to the DC negative.
2. Inverters are "power sources" and a proper "marine inverter witk switch to a bonded neutral only when in use.
3.ABYC requires AC neutral/ground bonds at power sources only. i.e. generators and inverters.
Old 11-07-2021, 21:10   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post
May i ask what an RCD is?
Residual Current Device. very similar to an ELCI with a different rating
Old 12-07-2021, 19:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
1. ABYC requires AC ground be bonded to the DC negative.
2. Inverters are "power sources" and a proper "marine inverter witk switch to a bonded neutral only when in use.
3.ABYC requires AC neutral/ground bonds at power sources only. i.e. generators and inverters.
I operate a steel boat with two generators and a shore connection when in port. Last week the electrical panel was opened and the ground from shore was missing. A marine surveyor looked at it and said a ground has to go on immediately. One was put on within the hour... he relied on ABYC...
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 21:04   #9

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Y View Post
If I understand your question, the bus to bus is a proper way to implement this ABYC required connection.

If an inverter is in your future you need to consult the inverter info for proper sizing (ampacity) of this conductor. Dont't be suprised if it turns out to be on the order of #4 AWG.

What also needs to be addressed is inclusion of an galvanic isolator in the green shore power conductor to reduce corrosion issues that the ground to ground connection might introduce (can you say catch 22).

Finally if you are really trying to bring AC things up to date, a RCD main circuit breaker should be included. "The life you save may be your own".

There are those that say with the RCD main breaker you do not need this ground to ground connection. Maybe so, just ain't the current regulation.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 20:05   #10

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
Old 14-07-2021, 08:18   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
There are those that say with the RCD main breaker you do not need this ground to ground connection. Maybe so, just ain't the current regulation.

Frankly
In the US , only and it’s not a “ regulation “ it’s a recommendation
Old 14-07-2021, 08:32   #12

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

ABYC Standards are the basis of certification programs, marine surveys, and legal judgements. In product liability lawsuits, ABYC Standards are the authoritative reference for evaluating issues of design, construction, maintenance, and product performance.

Where I live and where I practiced until retirement. Also where most of the world's lawyers are hold up.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib