Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2012, 00:02   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to dr3v01ution
Great solar installation and charger information

After A LOT of searching, reading, and trying to wade through arguments on various discussion boards I think I found some good information and thought I would share.

This site describes controllers, and most importantly the difference between the THREE types. I assumed wrongly that if it wasnt MPPT that it would still have multistage charging until I bought my sunforce charger and couldn't figure out why my batteries never got fully charged. (I am a little skeptical about the 10-30% gain from MPPT they quote on this site)

Charge Controllers for Solar Electric Systems

Next site I think I may have found a thread here, but its a good recommendation. Discusses the importance of wire gauge, voltage drop, short runs of wires, placement of a charger and inverter, among a lot of other things. It is for RVs but most of the information is relevant.

The RV Battery Charging Puzzle « HandyBob's Blog

lastly a wire gauge calculator. to calculate voltage drop. Apparently 3% from panels to charger, and 1% from charger to batteries seems about right.

American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies

I hope this save some people some time and headache looking for information. In particular, Handy Bob may have opinions but he explains why, and when they are appropriate, not just a "THIS IS THE ONLY RIGHT WAY" attitude.

If anyone else has any good solar/charger/battery information sites, I could use a bit more information.

Thanks for the website!
dr3v01ution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 00:27   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Great solar installation and charger information

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3v01ution View Post
This site describes controllers, and most importantly the difference between the THREE types. I assumed wrongly that if it wasnt MPPT that it would still have multistage charging until I bought my sunforce charger and couldn't figure out why my batteries never got fully charged. (I am a little skeptical about the 10-30% gain from MPPT they quote on this site)
!
To clarify, MPPT and multistage charging are two separate things.

Some MPPT controler have multistage charging some do not
Some non MPPT controler have multistage charging some do not.

Multistage charging ( with the correct charge points) is important and is much more critical to battery health (and extracting the most out of the solar panel) than MPPT is on a boat.
Make sure any charge controler you buy can be set for the appropriate charge points for your batteries. It is not uncommon for even expensive systems to get this wrong.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, installation, solar