Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 12:24   #31
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Good quality 12VDC USB Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Neither link works on my iPad.
But a search of the first bring up a dual plug cigarette lighter one, when I’m after a multi port, say four or six.
I can’t find anything on the second one though.
They are both dual port.

Even that is (again) pushing things for a ciggie port.

Trying to push charge current for 3 or 4 high-amp devices through one would not be wise.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:27   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
there's a lot of product being slapped together in a country we shall not name...which often is outright dangerously made
I'd be very surprised to see any such device, no matter how fantastic the quality, made in any other country but China.

Why would you not name it?
Old 02-06-2019, 16:26   #33

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
They are both dual port.

Even that is (again) pushing things for a ciggie port.

Trying to push charge current for 3 or 4 high-amp devices through one would not be wise.
A good cigarette lighter port/plug is good for 15A@12V (nominal), or 180W. With the exception of some newer protocols "high-amp" would be considered 2.4A@5V, or 12W. The newer protocols are typically in the range of 35W, and some may go higher, but clearly limiting the number of ports to 2x2.4A is unnecessary. I regularly use 3- and 4-port chargers - the 3-port supporting QC3 on one of them. It is simply not an issue.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 16:38   #34

While cigarette sockets are not ideal, they are a de facto standard. I have many of them installed on Carina. I also installed a few Bulgin Buccaneer sockets for 12V, which I use for marine-specific gear. I suppose one could cut off cigarette plugs and install a (better) marine-quality plug on some equipment - your choice.

As to an earlier post: MOST USB cables will unnecessarily cause voltage drops, and reduce charging rates, and this is especially true of longer cables. I have been testing them for years with several different USB meters, with a set of adapters. The one shown earlier has a full-sized USB connector and so can only be used (without adapters) on the supply end of the cable for showing the power supply. It is more interesting to also check the voltage at the device end and see the voltage drop. Many cables are shockingly bad. I have found the Anker and MediaBridge cables that are specifically marketed for low loss with larger wire cross-sections to work very well. Generic cables not so much.

Greg

Edit: USB 3 cables have twice as many conductors as USB 1 & 2, and can provide higher charge current when used with a USB 3 port and a device with USB 3 charging support. USB-C connectors on phones often support USB 3, so with the proper cable and power supply will charge faster. Here again getting a quality cable matters.
Old 02-06-2019, 16:57   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
A good cigarette lighter port/plug is good for 15A@12V
Well that "good" makes for a circular definition.

The standard design is inherently flawed, unreliable at best, often flat out dangerous.

Sure with the Blue Sea and Merit style the connection is more secure, but likely rated for even less.

But the traditional ones, I flat out don't trust them for even 8A, and for nothing at all used regularly or for long periods.
Old 02-06-2019, 17:57   #36

Just search Amazon for "cigarette lighter socket 15A" and you will find many entries. Many of these appear quite high quality. Similarly if you were to search for the matching plugs you would find many entries. The point being there are quality solutions out there that are rated for 15A. That there is a lot of garbage as well should be no surprise, but in truth most of them are obvious when seen close up. Usually the problem is that a manufacturer has chosen to use a cheap plug - when a 12V device fails I keep the plug, and even the cable, if it is a quality one, and then use it on something else. Ideally the plug should contain a replaceable fuse. Cheap plugs can often have springs that are too weak to keep the plug fully inserted. Fortunately these things are cheap so find a good design and buy a bunch.

The plastic sockets are not designed to survive the heat from an actual cigarette lighter, so don't use one. I bought a large number of stainless steel sockets from WM, only to discover that they short out far too easily. So buy quality plastic sockets. And of course protect these outlets with circuit breakers and/or fuses.

That the overall design is lousy is not in question. I totally agree. It would be really nice if the automotive industry were to agree to a standard for a 12V socket that was well-designed and not constrained by the need to take a cigarette lighter. Our choice is to either learn to live with it, or banish it and standardize on a connector pair for our boats. Of course changing the plug implies that chargers and such that are integral to the plug are out. I think that is too extreme but YMMV.

Greg
Old 03-06-2019, 02:10   #37
cruiser

Andersons are the better standard, with pigtail adapters to accommodate the occasional temporary ciggie plug, e.g. for guests.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:51   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Andersons are the better standard, with pigtail adapters to accommodate the occasional temporary ciggie plug, e.g. for guests.
I use Andersons as well, for heavier loads. But the bulky 50A connectors would be even more awkward than cigarette lighter plugs, albeit functionally far superior. Perhaps if they offered them in even smaller sizes...

Greg
Old 03-06-2019, 03:29   #39
cruiser

I just mean Powerpoles. 15 - 45A, might as well use the latter for "sockets", all three sizes as "plugs" will fit.

Careful to get genuine, not Chinese knockoffs.

Powerwerx sells good mount fittings, distribution boxes etc
Old 03-06-2019, 13:55   #40

I hadn't noticed those before. No doubt very reliable but not really very convenient. I think any alternative must be a two-conductor plug and socket, at least for me. YMMV. What we really need is an agreed standard...

Greg
Old 03-06-2019, 14:25   #41
cruiser

That's the issue with the trolling motor connectors, each is unique and obscure.

APP are closest to a quality functional standard there is.

You really think it doesn't "look right"?

https://www.google.com/search?q=ande...plate&tbm=isch

That said, TE / Deutsch makes some great ones that have the look you're talking about, I use their DT / DTP products when true waterproof connections are needed.
Old 03-06-2019, 15:01   #42

I only saw the individual connectors; the system of accessories does make them more appealing.

I also like the Deutsch connectors. They are used in the newer Volvo-Penta engine wiring harnesses. Being waterproof is a big win, as corrosion of contacts is an issue. That is why I use the Bulgin connectors.

Greg
Old 03-06-2019, 19:02   #43
cruiser

The Anderson flat contact design has a "self-wiping" feature that cleans the mating surfaces every use on make and break.

They are also silver plated.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:12   #44

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Blue Sea Systems 4356 . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	4356.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	193197

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:39   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Good quality 12VDC USB Charger

Remember these plugs, the good ones anyway are “Cigar lighters”
A cigar lighter when used for that purpose must pull quite a lot of power to make that coil glow red hot, they can handle the load, although it’s not of course a secure connection.
I have 5 on my boat, one on the bow and one in the cockpit for a spot light, one in my Salon for a fan and usb charging and two in our cabin to run the CPAP machines, all work fine
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger