Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2019, 17:23   #16

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Genset replacement

Yup. The nextgen 5.5 has a 2 cylinder Kubota that is the same engine on many refrigerated trucks. Simple and bulletproof. I agree on FP. Wouldn’t have one
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 17:39   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

here's a 4.5kw that may fit in a very similar space. its 1800 rpm to boot

https://www.phasormarine.com/k2-4.5pmg.html
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 03:39   #18

Also, keep in mind serviceability of these units if you cruise some distance.

Our Paguro 9000 has been out of full service commission for months in Grenada. We've had Yanmar, Onan, and Northern Lights technicians on board but they can't find parts, service manuals, our manufacturer support and so, it sits.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 03:59   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
Also, keep in mind serviceability of these units if you cruise some distance.

Our Paguro 9000 has been out of full service commission for months in Grenada. We've had Yanmar, Onan, and Northern Lights technicians on board but they can't find parts, service manuals, our manufacturer support and so, it sits.

Serviceability is a crucial question for those of us who spend much time away from civilization.

Genset may be mission critical and unlike a standard marine engine, may have failures which require specialized knowledge or parts which are not available in all parts of the world.

I have never been comfortable with that. Low speed heavy duty generators are so reliable that it may not be such a big deal. For the really paranoid it could be feasible to carry all the sensors and the control unit and the diodes etc. When I was in the Arctic last year I carried a lot of spares for my Kohler generator's diesel engine (starter, alternator, fresh water pump, injection pipes, spare injector, hoses, belts, etc.) but didn't really bring anything for the generator side. But I had backup power generation from the school bus alternator on the main engine; YMMV.

Small generators, it seems to me, really need to be of a simple and straightforward design with a minimum of proprietary technology, like the NexGen and Phasor ones. You won't find a NexGen tech in French Polynesia, I guess, but you could carry all the parts and manuals and repairing it is unlikely to be rocket science, plus you can reach the actual guys who built it in Jacksonville for help if you need it.

But even better than that for a small generator might be a small marine engine or industrial motor driving a large alternator or two. School bus and emergency vehicle alternators are so simple that you don't really need much but a hammer and screwdriver, or take to any third world auto electric shop. Carry an entire spare alternator. If you want to be sure that you will have power no matter what, in any remote place, this might be your best bet of all.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 04:04   #20

I've asked about Next gen in the Caribbean, so far, no one has heard of them. Everybody knows about Onan and NL and it seems like parts and techs are everywhere for them. We're on our way to Martinique to have the 100 hour Paguro removed and a new Onan installed.

It's a very expensive lesson for us.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 12:53   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

As far as I know, neither NL or Onan make a small lightweight generator.
However if you don’t mind the size and weight, either one will serve you well.
The Nexgen and other small lightweight generators are not replacements for the larger heavier low RPM gensets. They are in my opinion meant for intermittent use, like for running water makers or occasionally running an airconditioner, but are not meant to run 24/7 day after day. That’s where the Onan’s and NL’s shine.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 18:12   #22

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

In 2009, I installed a My-T-Gen, built by Aqua Marine. It is not a true generator but rather a single-cylinder Kubota with a 150-amp alternator bolted to it, which was just what we wanted. It took some time to get it working so it would be reliable but now we have a lot of confidence in the unit and have over 2,000 hours on it.

A more creative person than me could probably assemble one of these without much trouble.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 19:19   #23

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we have a 6Kva MASE and are very happy with it

50 x 50 x 70 cm including 'soundproof' box

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men