Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2017, 01:27   #46

Boat: Mason 44
Re: Generator yes or no?

I don't have a windvane so it is 12v raymarine autopilot. Running the chartplotter, autopilot, radar, fridge and music requires running the engine or genset to top up the batteries.

I have 200w solar and air-x . Nice to have the genset below floor board especially on those wet days.

Runs the washing machine - small LG unit, makes water, electric kettle , electric rice cooker which double up to make soup and I use induction cooker to load up the genset properly which is always problem. Often I have to run the AC while charging the batteries.

If the air cond system is gone, I could do away with the extra weight and be content with a Honda and 100 amp battery charger.

For the moment, I like my 3 cyclinder genset.

Eric

ps. washing machine is really a very nice thing to have. but again, you must have a genset and water maker.
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 10:26   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Another of the truly amazing things you can learn on CF. Fantastic... in several senses.

Jim
Hi Jim,
I used RFI as a shortcut, more popular expression, other than that … it never crossed my mind that persistent close proximity exposure to strong high frequency electromagnetic wide spectrum fields could be healthy …. but, using your words: “… amazing thinks you can learn on CF.”
Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 14:24   #48

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

In our next boat, a generator with lithium batteries will be our go to energy solution. No wind but we will have some solar.

I'd never get another boat without a built in high-output DC generator and a high output charger/inverter.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 14:46   #49

When I bought my cat the first thing I did was sell the near new Northern Lights generator.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 15:01   #50
CLOD

Boat: none

For 7 years I didn’t have a generator and thought I was happy. Now I have a generator and know I was wrong!
Old 13-10-2017, 15:05   #51

Boat: Rafiki 37

Our 400 watts solar and (theoretical) 400 watts wind generator almost always provides all the power we need. I do carry a small 1000 watt gas generator as the ultimate battery backup, but I rarely use it.

Like any budget, you can either increase your inputs, or decrease your outputs. We’re probably more on the ‘decrease’ side of the ledger. No a/c (no need), no hot water, no clothes washer or washing machine. Main autopilot is a windvane, although we do run a tiller pilot when needed. Radar, radio, chartplotter, other instruments… Lights are all LED. A few pumps and fans for the hot days and the composter. Pretty simple really.

Our biggest draws are the fridge/freezer which is old and sucks 7 amps when on. After that it’s all the doodads that need constant charging: iPhones, iPads, laptops, and the piles of AA and AAA batteries for all the little things.
Old 13-10-2017, 15:26   #52

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Our 400 watts solar and (theoretical) 400 watts wind generator almost always provides all the power we need. I do carry a small 1000 watt gas generator as the ultimate battery backup, but I rarely use it.

Like any budget, you can either increase your inputs, or decrease your outputs. We’re probably more on the ‘decrease’ side of the ledger. No a/c (no need), no hot water, no clothes washer or washing machine. Main autopilot is a windvane, although we do run a tiller pilot when needed. Radar, radio, chartplotter, other instruments… Lights are all LED. A few pumps and fans for the hot days and the composter. Pretty simple really.

Our biggest draws are the fridge/freezer which is old and sucks 7 amps when on. After that it’s all the doodads that need constant charging: iPhones, iPads, laptops, and the piles of AA and AAA batteries for all the little things.
C'mon Mike, nobody will think the worse of you if you disclose your homemade, onboard brewery. I mean, why waste all that space in a perfectly good v-berth? I'm sure all those boiling vats are an energy hog and cause frequent stops for yeast & hops, but in your case it's gotta be cheaper than hittin' the microbrews at every port! In fact, from purely a cost standpoint, I bet your in-house financial manager approves! And don't worry -- we won't rat you out to the Canadian Coasties, even though I sorta doubt it's all ABYC approved.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 15:39   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
C'mon Mike, nobody will think the worse of you if you disclose your homemade, onboard brewery. I mean, why waste all that space in a perfectly good v-berth? I'm sure all those boiling vats are an energy hog and cause frequent stops for yeast & hops, but in your case it's gotta be cheaper than hittin' the microbrews at every port! In fact, from purely a cost standpoint, I bet your in-house financial manager approves! And don't worry -- we won't rat you out to the Canadian Coasties, even though I sorta doubt it's all ABYC approved.
Oh, I only wish . We actually cruise with zero beer in the fridge (shocking, I know ). Beer is too heavy. Too pricey. I’ve thought about ways to brew my own on board, but can’t see how it can be done. But making wine … that’s still a possibility.

One of the reasons we anchor out almost all the time is so I don’t blow the budget on craft beer. My "in-house financial manager” knows my weakness .
Old 13-10-2017, 16:38   #54

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Mike, lots of Aussies brew their own beer on board, even 30 foooters do it. Usually the fermentation tank is secured next to a settee. You just have to be willing to sacrifice prime space for it. Smelling it and listening to it ferment is pleasant.

Ann
Old 13-10-2017, 17:50   #55

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Oh, I only wish . We actually cruise with zero beer in the fridge (shocking, I know ). Beer is too heavy. Too pricey. I’ve thought about ways to brew my own on board, but can’t see how it can be done. But making wine … that’s still a possibility.

One of the reasons we anchor out almost all the time is so I don’t blow the budget on craft beer. My "in-house financial manager” knows my weakness .
A friend on a 32ft ex fishing boat built a slick, 3gal system he makes beer from grain, he uses his stove top and ferments in glass carboys, I've helped several brew days he often does 3 runs in a morning, I could see doing one carboy on my 38, the pair of SS vessels nest and are stored in a deck locker when not in use, he bottles into 1lt snap cap bottles, mostly darker ales..........
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 08:38   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Mike, lots of Aussies brew their own beer on board, even 30 foooters do it. Usually the fermentation tank is secured next to a settee. You just have to be willing to sacrifice prime space for it. Smelling it and listening to it ferment is pleasant.
I’m guessing this is done at dock or while long-term moored/anchored?? I just can’t see how we could do this while underway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
A friend on a 32ft ex fishing boat built a slick, 3gal system he makes beer from grain, he uses his stove top and ferments in glass carboys, I've helped several brew days he often does 3 runs in a morning, I could see doing one carboy on my 38, the pair of SS vessels nest and are stored in a deck locker when not in use, he bottles into 1lt snap cap bottles, mostly darker ales..........
I guess I can see how it’s possible. I just don’t think making beer would be worth it. A standard carboy is ~20 litres (5 gallons). I hate to admit it, but I can go through that much beer in a fairly short time . That’s like 20-25 beers. At two/day for me, and whatever I share with friends (gotta share!), that carboy would disappear in days. I’d have to be in constant production to make it worthwhile. This would mean having three carboys running all the time. At that point I definitely need a bigger boat .

Beer just doesn’t make sense, but I can see making wine on board. Wine is a lot easier, and you can use just about any fruit, and even some veg. I used to make everything from dandelion and rose petal to mead and rhubarb wine. Apple, pear… and of course grape.

Maybe I’ll pick up a couple of plastic carboys next season and give it a try.
Old 14-10-2017, 09:13   #57

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

If you regularly run your main engine to charge batteries you will notice a huge difference if you install a well sound insulated generator.

Our DC genny has just failed to start after being unused for 10 weeks so we had to run the main 56 HP Yanmar - what a huge increase in noise and discomfort compared to our 4 HP genset that actually delivers more than twice the output of out 100 amp main engine alternator.

Cruising should be about comfort and convienience - but it comes at a cost.
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, generator