Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2019, 05:59   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Generator Water Flow

I'm sure I'm not alone about being paranoid when the generator acts differently. Just recently the exhaust water flow out of my generator has changed from "spurting out" to a steady flow. The water seems cooler than in the past and doesn't seem any warmer than the outside water.

Am I being paranoid/concerned?
Old 15-04-2019, 13:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Generator Water Flow

Mine is steady, always has been, just as my main motors is, if the RPM is high.
It only spurts at low RPM.

However the water flow out of my generator is hot enough so that it’s not comfortable to hold your hand in it.

I can’t imagine why yours has changed, it would take I think either higher engine speed, or a change inside of the muffler.

Have you turned up your engine speed to correct the hz?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 14:48   #3
CLOD

haven't changed anything on the generator
Old 16-04-2019, 06:15   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

No idea then, something has changed, but assuming it has a Murphy switch to shut it down if it overheats you ought to be OK.
As the water isn’t stupid hot coming out, it doesn’t sound like water flow has decreased.

Maybe take a look at the water pump impeller?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 12:10   #5

Why do you care, it’s not important how much water comes out, it switches off immediately if it’s not getting enough water right!
All good generators do this... if yours doesn't then fix this problem using a pressure switch in the line paralleled to the oil pressure cutoff and then answer my post on spice racks.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 13:07   #6
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Why do you care, it’s not important how much water comes out, it switches off immediately if it’s not getting enough water right!
All good generators do this... if yours doesn't then fix this problem using a pressure switch in the line paralleled to the oil pressure cutoff and then answer my post on spice racks.
I take it you just needed something to type. I'm not even going to trouble myself to tell why wiring stuff up to my generator control can't be done. But if I come across your spice rack question I will be sure to provide a useful "answer"
Old 17-04-2019, 13:52   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
haven't changed anything on the generator
Are you using an impeller pump or have you adopted the mag drive centrifugal pump?

Was there maybe a slight blockage on the intake that has magically cleared allowing more flow?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 18:50   #8
CLOD

You know now that I think about it

A few months ago while in a slip I flipped the seawater strainer around because the way it originally was seemed to kink the hose. Maybe that did in fact result in a much better water flow and it took a little while to notice as I’ve mainly only been running the generator lately just “exercise” it.

Tags
generator, water