Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2020, 17:26   #1

Boat: Leopard 46 Owners
Generator only runs when glow plug is activated

My Northern lights generator was running fine for an hour or so then cut out.
It re-started fine, but when I release the glow plug rocker it cuts out again. Seems to run fine if I hold the glow plug rocker, but the second I release it, it stops.

Any ideas on where to begin the trouble shooting?
SailSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 17:39   #2

Re: Generator only runs when glow plug is activated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSB View Post
My Northern lights generator was running fine for an hour or so then cut out.

It re-started fine, but when I release the glow plug rocker it cuts out again. Seems to run fine if I hold the glow plug rocker, but the second I release it, it stops.

Any ideas on where to begin the trouble shooting?

It sounds like the shutdown circuit is activated and being overridden by the glow/ override. First check the oil and coolant levels. If they are ok check the temp sender on the exhaust mixer elbow. If you can’t find an actual fault ie no oil, an overheat or no raw flow then consider starting the sender testing routine until you find the culprit. Does your control panel have gauges on it?
Pete.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 18:22   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
It sounds like the shutdown circuit is activated and being overridden by the glow/ override. First check the oil and coolant levels. If they are ok check the temp sender on the exhaust mixer elbow. If you can’t find an actual fault ie no oil, an overheat or no raw flow then consider starting the sender testing routine until you find the culprit. Does your control panel have gauges on it?
Pete.
...also check relays...very commonly the cause of such problems. Or, just swap them all for new and see if that resolves it. A few bucks at any auto parts store.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 18:23   #4

Boat: Leopard 46 Owners

Panel has gauges for power, but not for oil, water, or temp. I’ll check the basics in the morning. I think what you are suggesting makes a lot of sense. Hopefully it is something simple and shutting down for a good reason.

Thanks!

Ken
SailSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 18:48   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I really don't see running an engine without oil pressure and water temperature gauges. They and their senders are cheap and available at any auto parts store. Even if you just mount them at the engine but where you can see them from time to time, they put you in a much better working relationship with your motor.

I bet Skipper Pete is right and you are running it by over-riding an automatic shutdown (such as oil pressure) by holding down the glow plug switch.
Old 17-02-2020, 18:57   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I had the same problem. Mine is a Northern Lights and has 4 Bosch relays in the control panel. I took out the first one, moved the second to the first, third to second, etc and the unit ran. As soon as I could purchase a replacement relay I reversed this and found it was the third relay that was bad.
Old 17-02-2020, 19:15   #7

Boat: Celestial 48

Note that most glow plugs can be burnt out if energized for too long. Some get damaged in less that 20 seconds powered. Keep in mind when figuring out your generator issue.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 21:11   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

A circuit diagram to see what's connected to what is generally a good start.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 22:12   #9

I’m just guessing it’s a NL 673 so hopefully this DC wiring diagram will help. YES , over glowing might indeed do harm to the glow plugs, good advice Dennis.G. Also overcranking with the raw water intake open can cause harm to your engine. After 5 attempts the NL wiring diagram failed to attach.
I’ll get back to you with the screen shot.
Pete.
Old 17-02-2020, 22:22   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2363.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	209019
Old 18-02-2020, 04:17   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I had the same problem. Mine is a Northern Lights and has 4 Bosch relays in the control panel. I took out the first one, moved the second to the first, third to second, etc and the unit ran. As soon as I could purchase a replacement relay I reversed this and found it was the third relay that was bad.
There ya go! Ive fixed a bunch of genset issues that way (used to run a lot of boats in charter with big gensets and fully aircon'ed...guests are not happy when the aircon is down!).

You can of course test the relays to find the bad one (sometimes, but intermittent malfunctions can be hard to find). I made up a little test rig for this purpose. Just keep a few spare relays aboard and swap when you have trouble. This is a very common issue so often that solves the problem.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 04:24   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If it’s not a relay then I would suspect a low oil pressure switch, I believe it’s common to override that switch when the glow plugs are on, the reason is to allow oil pressure to build before the switch is put into the circuit.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 05:20   #13

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If it’s not a relay then I would suspect a low oil pressure switch, I believe it’s common to override that switch when the glow plugs are on, the reason is to allow oil pressure to build before the switch is put into the circuit.
Ours was doing the same thing as SailSB. Called Northern Lights and talked to one of their engineers. He said the preheat switch does, indeed, bypass the oil pressure and water temp switches to allow starting. He also said it was a common, known issue for the water temp switch to fail and cause this issue. We picked up a new water temp switch but never actually installed it.
By some experimenting, we found out that after starting the generator, if we toggle the preheat switch up and down a couple of times before releasing it, it starts and runs normally. Weird but true.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 05:31   #14

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
Ours was doing the same thing as SailSB. Called Northern Lights and talked to one of their engineers. He said the preheat switch does, indeed, bypass the oil pressure and water temp switches to allow starting. He also said it was a common, known issue for the water temp switch to fail and cause this issue. We picked up a new water temp switch but never actually installed it.
By some experimenting, we found out that after starting the generator, if we toggle the preheat switch up and down a couple of times before releasing it, it starts and runs normally. Weird but true.
Then almost certainly the problem is not the water temp switch. Most likely you have a relay with dirty contacts and toggling the preheat switch also toggles the faulty relay and it eventually makes contact. These relays are fairly garden variety so look them over and think about replacing one at a time. Eventually that faulty relay will fail completely and then it won't run at all.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 05:34   #15

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Then almost certainly the problem is not the water temp switch. Most likely you have a relay with dirty contacts and toggling the preheat switch also toggles the faulty relay and it eventually makes contact. These relays are fairly garden variety so look them over and think about replacing one at a time. Eventually that faulty relay will fail completely and then it won't run at all.
Good to know. Are the relays on the back of the control panel (in our breaker panel) or are the on the board in the control box? The control box is in a corner of the engine room that is almost completely inaccessible, only about a six inch clearance from the ceiling and wedged between the fuel tank and a forward bulkhead.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, plug