Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2008, 01:35   #1

Boat: NEECHIEMOSE 50 ft ketch 1964
Generator - marinised or domestic

I am a new member here and this is my first of what, I am sure, will be many questions
I have seen several threads here talking about the 'domestic' type Honda generators and yet the trade always says you should have a fully marinised one (Westerbeke or equivalent).
I have used the domestic ones ashore for many years with generally good performance - including some of the chinese efforts.
I am refurbishing a 50 ft ketch and will be asking it to cross the Atlantic. I will have 4 30watt solar panels plus the alternators on the engine for the battery banks.

I anticipate several (many) weeks in port or anchor waiting for weather windows etc and the boat is equiped with Cruiseair AC plus all the usual freezer, microwave, navigation equipment etc.

What are your feelings on the genset type to get. Money is always an issue but safety is paramount.

I look forward to your comments.
Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 03:50   #2
cruiser

Provided it is safely installed/operated, there is no reason not to use a land-purpose generator on a boat.

However, you should forget running the CruisAir AC unit from it. There won't be enough power to start the compressor running unless you have more than 6KW peak. I had a 5.5KW (6KW peak) Yanmar diesel land genset and it wouldn't run my CruisAir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
I am a new member here and this is my first of what, I am sure, will be many questions
I have seen several threads here talking about the 'domestic' type Honda generators and yet the trade always says you should have a fully marinised one (Westerbeke or equivalent).
I have used the domestic ones ashore for many years with generally good performance - including some of the chinese efforts.
I am refurbishing a 50 ft ketch and will be asking it to cross the Atlantic. I will have 4 30watt solar panels plus the alternators on the engine for the battery banks.

I anticipate several (many) weeks in port or anchor waiting for weather windows etc and the boat is equiped with Cruiseair AC plus all the usual freezer, microwave, navigation equipment etc.

What are your feelings on the genset type to get. Money is always an issue but safety is paramount.

I look forward to your comments.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator