Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2019, 15:36   #1

Generator Fuel (I think) Issue

I'm hoping I can get some guidance on this.

Our boat has a Paguro 9000 generator installed. In one of the lockers inside the boat there are valves to select which fuel tank the generator pulls and returns from/to.

Also in that closet is a fuel pump that pumps the fuel from the aft tanks (about 20 feet aft) up to the generator's Racor 510 fuel filter.

When I first got the boat I could hear the pump vibrating the entire time the generator was running. Over the last two weeks, we've heard the pump less often but didn't notice anything different with the generator.

Today, the generator ran great under 50% load but at and above that, the RPM's dropped and the Hz dropped until I shed load, then it would run fine again.

I'm not even close to being a mechanic but it seems to me that this is a fuel issue. There are 60 hours on the generator and I just completed the 50 hour oil and oil filter change.

I have a new fuel filter but I don't have a way to get clean diesel into the new filter and I don't see a way to manually pump fuel up to the filter once I change it.

When I start the generator, I hold down the start button and the pump starts, the fans for the compartment turn in, and the glow plugs start. Then after 10 seconds or so, the starter engages.

Can I just do that a few times and let off of the button before the starter engages to fill the filter?

Does this sound like a filter or a pump issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190903_171147.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	199126  
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 17:45   #2

Re: Generator Fuel (I think) Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
I'm hoping I can get some guidance on this.

Our boat has a Paguro 9000 generator installed. In one of the lockers inside the boat there are valves to select which fuel tank the generator pulls and returns from/to.

Also in that closet is a fuel pump that pumps the fuel from the aft tanks (about 20 feet aft) up to the generator's Racor 510 fuel filter.

When I first got the boat I could hear the pump vibrating the entire time the generator was running. Over the last two weeks, we've heard the pump less often but didn't notice anything different with the generator.

Today, the generator ran great under 50% load but at and above that, the RPM's dropped and the Hz dropped until I shed load, then it would run fine again.

I'm not even close to being a mechanic but it seems to me that this is a fuel issue. There are 60 hours on the generator and I just completed the 50 hour oil and oil filter change.

I have a new fuel filter but I don't have a way to get clean diesel into the new filter and I don't see a way to manually pump fuel up to the filter once I change it.

When I start the generator, I hold down the start button and the pump starts, the fans for the compartment turn in, and the glow plugs start. Then after 10 seconds or so, the starter engages.

Can I just do that a few times and let off of the button before the starter engages to fill the filter?

Does this sound like a filter or a pump issue?

The engine used in your Paguro AC generator is made by Lombardini and has a very delicate and sophisticated fuel injection system.
The fuel supplied to it should be ultra clean and the fuel lines of a very high quality. The engine has a secondary filter attached to it and your primary Racor might be better with a 2 micron element.
Your electric supply pump also needs clean fuel to avoid getting blocked and it's usual practice to have a/the primary filter on the suction side to avoid what might be the cause of your generators poor performance....a partial blockage or leaking valves in that electric pump. I hope this helps.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 18:08   #3

Re: Generator Fuel (I think) Issue

After replacing both filters, I found that the lift pump was barely getting fuel up to the generator (couldn't get fuel past the primary filter).

I replaced the pump with a small one that was on board and it had no issues getting fuel where it needed to go. The generator started after few cranks.

I then went up to button the enclosure up before restating and making water but decided I should double check the fuel lines I had cracked open during troubleshooting.

I proceeded to act like a gorilla and broke a small banjo filling in a return line (I think) that goes in the top of the secondary filter.

ARRRRG!

luckily, I was able to get the broker part out easily. Now I just need to source a replacement on the island.

Why all the banjo fittings on the fuel lines? For repairability, I would rather change then all to barb fittings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190904_210624.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	199216  
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, generator