Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2012, 11:00   #16

These things I care a lot about:

- part of the rigging that would exist in heavy weather.
- below the waterline and connects to a hole in the boat.
- part of the engine.
- part of a repair that takes a long time to do and I never want to do again.

Everything else I don't really freak out about. If you put the wrong head in you can spend a day and rip it out; it's really not that big of a deal if you contrast it against using bad standing rigging or a busted thruhull. It's possible to crap in a bucket for a week, it's impossible to use a bucket to keep the rig up in a storm.

One nice thing about limiting "systems" onboard is that you don't need to be a professional yachtsman as much. You can sail somewhere and focus on what you want to do there rather than what you need to replace or fix as soon as you get there.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 15:25   #17
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: FRUGAL or CHEAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Thanks for responding Sarah, I hoped I had not offended you with my middle of the on call post. My point was you may not like what you have gotten cheaply after trying to make them all talk together. It is worth my time and peace of mind just to get a newer system that is built to add on as I need to.
But it will be interesting to see how happy you are with your hybrid.
I don't think you could offend me if ya tried. And this time ya didn't come even CLOSE!

I get that we all have different means and needs and wants and that is part of life.

Would I love to do newer/newish tech? Sure! Would I like to have a spiffier boat? You bet! Do I lust after boat bling? Oh Yeah!

Do I make do with what I can afford? Don't we all at some level? ; -)

I think one of the coolest things around here is that we all, mega yacht, comfortable cruisers and pocket plastic classics alike, come here and find value in the info and advice and exchange of opinion and experience.

It's ALL good!

And I have to say that I am back from 4 hours going over 110v and 12v systems and my brain hurts from thinking it all thru. There are a few things I need to get, but not many; 2 small bus bars and (gulp) an 8 switch dc panel. We could use two older ones that I found to cobble enough circut breakers together, but I confess, it would look like hell.

Given that she is almost a full time liveaboard we have an over abundance of lighting and plugs.

Pretty much everything that we can't use on the Cal we can use on the Ranger with it's smaller systems.

So not much will get left by the wayside, and most of the discarded items were free, so I paid exactly what they were worth! ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 16:02   #18

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

One thing that is important (something Sara seems to have hit on) is thinking about 'function'.

The old St-50 are only 'obsolete' in that they are not carried at West marine any more... if you get the function from an item who cares? I have a Kenyon Knotometer on my boat that was original 1964 equipment... it works. I do not use it a lot, and would not replace it if it fails but knowing speed through the water helps with sail trim.. Is it fancy? No. But it works.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 18:05   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Function is what it is all about. All things on your boat should make your experience a little better. We have been down the minimalism road here, and then bounced back. If you are happy with what you have, no matter how much or how little, you truely are rich.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 19:14   #20

Boat: Beneteau 423

Tom and Ray Magliozzi of my favorite radio show Car Talk, have an expression that I often find running through my head "A stingy person spends the most.". For example when I bought a deck brush that was on sale. It seemed a little short but I could save 40% over the other. Every time I get that damned brush out it reminds me of Car Talk. I chose cheap over the right item. With a little more shopping I might have been able to find the right brush for a reasonable price.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap