Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2018, 14:39   #31

Boat: Taswell 43
Re: Frequecncy converter by GoHz

Based on our experience....I'd totally avoid the.."simple transformers". We bought 2 of them, sized for the load (in watts)we thought we'd pull, paid the shipping (they're heavy) to the boat in Puerto Rico, and plugged them in. The first one worked fine, converted the 110v to 230v just as we needed, and it lasted about 10 days! No obvious faults or signs, no evidence of o'heating, no burned wires, no smell...nothing....it just quit! Bought another one, this time 2x the size of the previous...and it lasted almost 3 weeks! I have no idea what killed them, maybe it was that quality build from China that ebay sells so well(??) but neither worked out. As I mentioned, we bought a Victron Isolation xfmr, installed it, and it's worked perfectly now for almost 3 years, ...'Guess it pays to buy something designed for the environment and use you intend to put it to!

sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 14:49   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
Based on our experience....I'd totally avoid the.."simple transformers". We bought 2 of them, sized for the load (in watts)we thought we'd pull, paid the shipping (they're heavy) to the boat in Puerto Rico, and plugged them in. The first one worked fine, converted the 110v to 230v just as we needed, and it lasted about 10 days! No obvious faults or signs, no evidence of o'heating, no burned wires, no smell...nothing....it just quit! Bought another one, this time 2x the size of the previous...and it lasted almost 3 weeks! I have no idea what killed them, maybe it was that quality build from China that ebay sells so well(??) but neither worked out. As I mentioned, we bought a Victron Isolation xfmr, installed it, and it's worked perfectly now for almost 3 years, ...'Guess it pays to buy something designed for the environment and use you intend to put it to!
If the transformers were wired right I'd bet it was quality.

Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 17:24   #33

Boat: Amel 50

As mentioned many times in other threads, the Victron Isolation Transformer can up-convert or down-convert shore power Voltage. It does not change the frequency.

Information: https://www.victronenergy.com/isolat...-3600va-7000va
boom23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 07:07   #34

Great thread with some excellent information.

I am trying to solve the same problem and wondering if anyone has priced/explored the frequency converters built by companies like Zeus and Atlas. Mostly used on superyachts, they do have some smaller versions. (8-10kVA).
mfortinberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 09:21   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfortinberry View Post
Great thread with some excellent information.

I am trying to solve the same problem and wondering if anyone has priced/explored the frequency converters built by companies like Zeus and Atlas. Mostly used on superyachts, they do have some smaller versions. (8-10kVA).

Had a quote for a US supplied frequency converter 7.5KVA for marine use - $8,900 and for a 20KVA $14,175. I have not taken it any further.

I have now looked at the Victron 7kva isolation transformer - $1000 and probably next year would take a chance on the aircon handling 60hz, almost everything else will be ok as can run off the inverter. The aircon issue only really arises when on a dock in non breeze mid summer with 90F and biting flies, mosquitoes and noseeums.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 10:00   #36

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

A transformer can be used to change voltages but not frequencies. Most stuff designed to function on 50Hz will have no problem doing the same on 60Hz. There are some exceptions such as motors which will operate at a slightly higher RPM. Microwave ovens and constant voltage battery chargers (the old heavy transform designs) most likely could have problems.

Microwave and constant voltage transformers are very dependent on line frequencies

foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote