Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2018, 23:29   #16

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: Frequecncy converter by GoHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
11KVA is a really big inverter system. It will not be cheap.
Or you buy smaller ones that you run in parallel.

The boat probably already has an inverter. If it is a contemporary Victron or Mastervolt unit you could just source another one of the same type and run it in parallel.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 07:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Or you buy smaller ones that you run in parallel.

The boat probably already has an inverter. If it is a contemporary Victron or Mastervolt unit you could just source another one of the same type and run it in parallel.
OK assume two 3KVA master volt inverters. Where are they going to draw 6000 watts (500 amps at 12 v) from ?
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 01:34   #18

Boat: Valiant 42

Bean,

There is no free lunch. If you need 6kva continuously then that power must come from the shore or from on board generator. At that power level most inverter systems opt for a 24V battery system which reduces current by 50%.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 02:47   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
OK assume two 3KVA master volt inverters. Where are they going to draw 6000 watts (500 amps at 12 v) from ?
From a battery charger or chargers of appropriate size.

The idea is to convert one kind of AC power into another.

24v is slightly more efficient and does not require such heavy cabling.
Old 27-03-2018, 00:42   #20

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
From a battery charger or chargers of appropriate size.
And the advantage here is that the battery charger only needs to be sized for average loads, not peak loads, as those the batteries take care of.
Old 27-03-2018, 01:01   #21

They don't give the ISO rating but they do mention that it's only rated up to 90% humidity (non-condensing) in the manual and they say to keep it away from salt spray. Also, it mentioned keeping it level and stable.

That doesn't sound like a device designed to operate on a boat...might work might not.

As others have mentioned, you can build your own by ganging chargers and inverters with far more flexibility...
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 01:25   #22

OK, thanks for the input, doubt I will take it any further.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 03:45   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
And the advantage here is that the battery charger only needs to be sized for average loads, not peak loads, as those the batteries take care of.
Indeed. Good inverters can put out about double their rated power for a few seconds, so can eliminate the startup problem.

If you're not converting voltage like the OP wanted to do, you can do this in one box with an appropriate charger/inverter with power boost like Mastervolt or Victron. I have this on my boat and it's really useful especially with very small shore power connections as are common in Northern Europe.

The charger/inverter will pass through the shore power to the boat's AC system up to the limit you specify, and whenever demand exceeds that limit, the device will supplement the shore power with inverted power from the batteries. Also called "peak shaving". It's really great if you're on a say 6 amp shore power connection as is very common in Sweden and some other Baltic countries.
Old 28-03-2018, 07:41   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Indeed. Good inverters can put out about double their rated power for a few seconds, so can eliminate the startup problem.

If you're not converting voltage like the OP wanted to do, you can do this in one box with an appropriate charger/inverter with power boost like Mastervolt or Victron. I have this on my boat and it's really useful especially with very small shore power connections as are common in Northern Europe.

The charger/inverter will pass through the shore power to the boat's AC system up to the limit you specify, and whenever demand exceeds that limit, the device will supplement the shore power with inverted power from the batteries. Also called "peak shaving". It's really great if you're on a say 6 amp shore power connection as is very common in Sweden and some other Baltic countries.
Out of curiosity, is 6A a typo or am I just spoiled living in the US?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 08:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
They don't give the ISO rating but they do mention that it's only rated up to 90% humidity (non-condensing) in the manual and they say to keep it away from salt spray. Also, it mentioned keeping it level and stable.

That doesn't sound like a device designed to operate on a boat...might work might not.
I think the usual buyers for this device are labs that have to test equipment that runs on different voltages/frequencies then their own mains connection.
Old 28-03-2018, 08:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
That is not a typo. It is why Victron Combi/Chargers can limit the current they take over the shore connector.
The max you can get with the typical blue connectors is 16A.
Old 28-03-2018, 08:40   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Not a typo! In Scandinavia, also in France, shore power can be extremely modest. In some places you even get a standard Shuko wall outlet. At 230v that's about 1.4kW.

But as someone above mentioned, if you have power boost, you only need to cover your average consumption, so that's usually fine if you're not running electrical heating. I can wash and dry a load of laundry with such a connection without any problem, with my Victron Multiplus charger/inverter adding power as needed. My electric dryer burns about 2.2 kW, so the inverter has to supply another 800 watts, which is no problem.

And usually you can take an amp or two more than the rated capacity of the circuit.

In the UK, the standard shore power connection is 16 amps @ 230v, which is something like 3.6kW. I can almost always take 18 amps, which is more than 4kW. My shore power system is designed to 32 amps @ 230v.

I use a lot of AC power on board, including electric heat when I'm in a marina, but I'm pretty happy with 18 amps. I have to switch things off sometimes to run a big load, but it's no big deal.

When I'm out cruising and get 6 amps, it's also generally ok. If I have really sustained big loads I just fire up the generator.
Old 28-03-2018, 08:46   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That is not a typo. It is why Victron Combi/Chargers can limit the current they take over the shore connector.
The max you can get with the typical blue connectors is 16A.
Indeed, and by the way, the standard European 16 amp blue connectors are far better than those awful 32 amp Marinco ones (which my boat was delivered with). They are more waterproof and far less prone to burned contacts.

The ability to limit what you take from shore power, combined with power boost, is so excellent that I would never want to be without it again. It means you can use shore power of any capacity without popping breakers, and just run your boat as normal.
Old 28-03-2018, 10:26   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Has anyone installed one of these units?

10 kVA Pure Sine Wave Frequency Converter | GoHz.com.

We have a 220V 50 hz boat and want to plug into to 110 or 220 V 60 hz shore power. Also I would just like to hear from someone who has actually installed a frequency converter.

If Iím right most things run on 220 or 240v quite happy,, and same with 50 or 60 hz with no problem.... 120v to 240v.. need a basic transformer to but up to 240,
shane.h012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 13:21   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane.h012 View Post
If I’m right most things run on 220 or 240v quite happy,, and same with 50 or 60 hz with no problem.... 120v to 240v.. need a basic transformer to but up to 240,
A sensible solution. A simple taped transformer. Most things won't care if it is 50 or 60 CPS, Hz if you prefer. If the voltage is right. If you have something that does, separate them out for use of an inverter. I'm guessing electronics could care less since the input is rectified to DC in most cases.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote