Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 14:35   #1

Boat: Pearson 33-2 "Anna-O"
Fourwinds Wind Generator WANTED

Greetings all.............
Getting closer to that magic date where we leave the dock for passages South.
Specifically I am looking for a Fourwinds wind generator. Talked to the manufacturer today and they may not be able to deliver a unit before June. The Red Baron is no longer being made due to logistics with some of the machined parts. Anyways, the Fourwinds II is still in production but they are having availability problems with the generators. They may or may not have a unit ready for delivery before June.

So anyways, I am looking for feedback from any and all who may have a unit for sale or know someone who does or any feelings or thoughts on other units that are comparable to the output and quality provided by the Fourwinds units.

Thanks to all who may reply to this thread.....................

Lifefloat

On the Water
In the Boat
Life is Good
When You Float
lifefloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 14:59   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Logistics and availability problems often mean that if you need parts--you won't be able to get them either. Or worse, that there's an inherent problem with the parts and design.

I'd worry about a company that can't simply provide parts, or generators, off the shelf. Unless the vendor came up with a Real Damn Good Reason, like, "The Marine Corp bought up all of our production for rapid deployment". (Doubt it.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 15:01   #3

Very good point and well taken hellosailor.........any suggestions to another unit?
Old 08-04-2008, 15:01   #4

And also rather funny.....................Thanks.......
Old 08-04-2008, 15:34   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Not really, I've seen and heard a few but haven't been intimate with them. I'd say to check out the reviews, and then see who stands behind a product, who'll warranty it, and who'll answer the phone and emails. Some of the one-man shops aren't really committed to the "business" part of business. (Of course, the same can be said for a lot of big businesses these days as well.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 15:35   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I had one on the previous boat. They work quite well and deliver a lot of power if you have the wind. It's not a big operation but frankly none of the vendors are anything like a large company. It's all a niche operation.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 16:10   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I have a Windbugger and parts are no longer available so I replaced it with a Air-X because they are sold by West Marine and that made me feel like the company was a leader in the field. It would not take very many parts at the replacement cost to be able to buy a complete new air-X unit.
Old 08-04-2008, 16:30   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Southeast Windpower, the Airx manafacturer, has an offering called the Breeze. It is supposed to cut in at a lower rpm, as the cost of higher output when the wind cranks up. Might be a consideration, as they are one of the biggest, if not the biggest wind power suppliers out there.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 19:24   #9

Yeah. many claims to the Air-X equip.....and thanks for the input by the way to all who have replied...........but the output on the Air-X stuff seems to be made only on the high side of things...........things being the wind that is...........
So, if you are tucked in and it isn't blowing 20 ( where by the way most of the units on the market start to make their claims on output) I want a unit that can produce on lower winds in quiteter anchorages. And...............if anyone can lead me to the perfect unit, I promise them a cold beer in Belize in June.
Old 08-04-2008, 19:31   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Been dealing with Four Winds for a bunch of years and the Four Winds2 has been hanging on my mizzen for over 10 years. They are not a mass produced product which makes them head and shoulders above the rest and why we have been so happy with the unit. Our autopilot is the same way. Sometimes good things are worth waiting for. If you settle for second best that is what you will always have. The problem may be waiting till the last minute to make a decision.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 20:18   #11

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
Airx is sold by Costco. Nobody can beat that price
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 20:25   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Never used it, but...

Yeas, it seems that they have produced the "Breeze" model to specifically deal with this issue, i.e. wanting output at lower wind speeds. I have no idea if the claim is true, but for the price, I would think it would warrant a look.

I did some math, and if I am correct, the breeze would give you 33 AH at 12v over a 24 hour period, with a 8 kt wind.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifefloat View Post
Yeah. many claims to the Air-X equip.....and thanks for the input by the way to all who have replied...........but the output on the Air-X stuff seems to be made only on the high side of things...........things being the wind that is...........
So, if you are tucked in and it isn't blowing 20 ( where by the way most of the units on the market start to make their claims on output) I want a unit that can produce on lower winds in quiteter anchorages. And...............if anyone can lead me to the perfect unit, I promise them a cold beer in Belize in June.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 19:33   #13

Hello Lifeboat,
I have a Four Winds Red Baron hanging in my shed, 24volt. Let me know if you are still looking for a unit like this and if so the best way for you to make contact. If you settled on a unit already, please let me know what flavour it is and how she is performing for you. Wam Regards, Noah
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator