Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 18:08   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000
Fourwinds Wind Generator

I have all the parts to install a Fourwinds II wind generator, except one. I need the slip ring that is attached to the top of the mounting pole. This apparently touches the electrical contacts in the base of the generator. The slip ring is attached to the wires leading to the battery.
A photo would be very helpful. Also, does anyone have a copy of the owners manual?
tcook101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:31   #2

Come on folks. 84 viewers to date and no one has a comment, or photo, or knowledge they are willing to share?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:40   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Here try the manufacturer.

Home - Fourwinds Enterprises
Old 11-12-2010, 04:48   #4

Thanks Rick. I have/had been in contact with Fourwinds. I purchased a mounting pole from them recently with the understanding that this was the last piece to the puzzle. Several attempts to contact since have gone unanswered, which brings me to the forum in search of this elusive "slip ring".
Old 11-12-2010, 04:56   #5

Fourwinds (previously known as Everfair Enterprises) has never been noted for customer service.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:40   #6

If this'll help the slip rings I'm familiar with are two flat surfaces with two flat circles of metal on them. Concentric circles. One is the positive and the other the negative. The two flat surfaces are mated so that the contacts remain together as the generator spins around and around as the wind changes. No wires so the generator can do 360's forever without twisting as wire connections would. The bottom piece is fixed on the pipe and the top piece is on the genny and turns with the wind change.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:40   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Just forget the slip rings and run a wire to the generator. You will need to tie a line to the tail to turn the generator sideways to the wind. Just make that line short enough to keep the generator from making more than one turn and stressing the wire.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 13:53   #8

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Making slip rings is not easy. I designed slip rings for the wind generator I designed and built (10 of them mounted into my custom machined casting) with intentions of marketing. The concept is simple, putting the pieces together is another matter. But why will Four Winds not sell you theirs??? That is the easiest out unless you want to just run a wire from the generator and let it wrap.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 14:31   #9

I was surprised to see the Fourwinds wind generator at over $2000. The KISS whose output is very similar is still under $1000 and easier to maintain.
Old 12-12-2010, 13:12   #10

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Maybe, just maybe Four Winds had a liability encounter! The reason I did not go forward with my design was fear of a lawsuit taking every thing I accumulated over my life. That old crap of "you knew OR you SHOULD HAVE KNOWN" has put the screws to too many small businesses. If some Ahole mounts the blades too low and someone gets hurt that should be their fault. Unfortunately, our legal system insists that if for any reason something happens to you, it must be someone else's fault.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 05:44   #11

After some time, I made contact with Paul at Fourwinds. I now have a copy of the wind generator manual which can be found on their website (takes some time to load), and I'm told that slip rings are being manufactured. Thanks to all for their input.
Old 08-02-2011, 13:22   #12

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcook101 View Post
After some time, I made contact with Paul at Fourwinds. I now have a copy of the wind generator manual which can be found on their website (takes some time to load), and I'm told that slip rings are being manufactured. Thanks to all for their input.
Hi tcook101,
How did all of this turn out?
I'm interested in buying some product from Fourwinds but want to be diligent in checking the current status of the anyone that I deal with in these tough economic times.
Anyone have any comments base on recent dealings with Fourwinds?

Thank-you in advance,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 14:11   #13
cruiser

these slip rings may also be called commutators... and yes, I would like to hear how this has worked out for the OP...

Please update..

thanks
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 16:43   #14

My last communication with Fourwinds was to reminded Paul M. that I was leaving for an extended trip to the Exuma around the end of January. I am currently sitting in Staniel Cay, using the local wifi for the first time.

Paul stated he was waiting for his supplier to send him the "slip rings". So, no wind generator for this trip. That's all I care to say about that. Hope your business with Fourwinds goes smoother than mine.
Old 12-02-2011, 17:55   #15

Boat: Beneteau 50
I found Paul and fourwinds very good to deal with. I too needed a new slip ring for the used fourwinds-ii that I bought. I did a detailed write-up about it and posted it on my 3 favorite saililng sites:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nds-25474.html

Great experience talking with Paul at Fourwinds - SailNet Community

Great experience talking with Paul at Fourwinds

I believe Paul has branched out to other, non-marine projects. This clearly helps us all, as it allows him to stay in business and serve our needs, even in this down economy.

He sent me the new slip ring with a good length of marine wire attached. I didn't expect that.

I also sent him the air brake and hub/blades for balancing. I've been busy with other things and am really looking forward to getting the generator project completed. That and the 12 fridge that willbe powered by the wind generator.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator