Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 10:51   #1

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
Question Fourwinds D-400 or DuoGen Wind Generators ?

As some of you might have learned from a thread posted by my wife (artlady) we 've started the process of selling everything and setting up our boat for live-aboard and cruising.
One of the things we plan to add is a wind generator and we've narrowed it down to three. We are favoring the 4 winds because it seems to do well in light air ans well and heavier air. I like the idea of the DuoGen being boat a towed generator as well as a wind generator but it is twice what the others cost. The D-400 has got a great design but from the sepcs does not do as well in light air as the 4 Winds.
We already have a solar array to which we will probably add a third panel. But our added electrical needs -- a watermaker and a laptop have decided us on a wind generator.
Would appreciate hearing of any experiences anyone has with any of these devices.
BTW, we have set a two-year outside limit to sell opr give away our 'stuff' then we're outta here off to the Caribbean to island hop for a year or two or maybe permanently
thanks

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:15   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
We have an older 4-winds on our boat... I ordered an older model as it has brushes (4 each) The newer unit is brushless.. The reasoning is that with the unit with brushes, I can fix it anywhere, if it ever fails.. its been atop the boat for 7 years now and I've changed the brushes once.. didnt need it, but I changed them out anyway..
Instead of using the regulator from 4-winds, I opted for the Morning star regulator with the "dump Load" which I've run to my waterheater..
I looked at the DuoGen but I'm kinda glad I didnt.. Most of the time we're out, we travel about 3 to 5 days a month.. the rest of the time we're at anchor somewhere..
Ive also got a solar system that I run throu a Morningstar regulator.. between the solar and the 4-winds, our system is always up in the 85% area, and I've never seen my batteries drop below 12.6...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:20   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I would ceate a very short list: D-400 and SuperWind. These two are the stars of the windgens in the Caribbean. On 3rd place would be the cheaper Kiss from Trinidad.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 18:04   #4

Boat: Island Packet 380
I have had a D-400 for a year and have been very happy with it. I do not have battery monitoring so can not give technical data but the difference in my charging requirements has been dramatic. No experience with the others.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 19:00   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
D-400 for a bigger boat, it is fr(eaking) heavy. Make sure your support is very sound. But it delivers.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:05   #6

Boat: boat less ATM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I would ceate a very short list: D-400 and SuperWind. These two are the stars of the windgens in the Caribbean. On 3rd place would be the cheaper Kiss from Trinidad.

cheers,
Nick.
The D400 costs approx $2300 and the Superwind one thousand dollars more. The KISS is 1195 from US dealer & $995 from the manufacturer in Trinidad. All not including freight charges.

You have to ask your self - are the alternatives two or three times better than the KISS. Bang for your buck IMO

I am considering the KISS
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:31   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Have a D400, can agree, its heavy, getting the thing fixed in position was a job and a half. Got mine fixed to a 60mm SS pole (the supplier had the correct top fititng to match the 60mm pole rather than the standard 40mm pole, and then with two braces to the deck.
As you stated, not so good in light airs, but does well in a good blow, seems to keep up the fridge, auto pilot and nav instruments.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:44   #8

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
You could have two KISS generators for less than the cost of a duogen- if you have the room, mounting two generators gives you more charging capacity as well as some redundancy. Yes, the Duogen is towable, but that means that the mounting setup is also more complex and therefore more costly for negligible return. I wonder how many duogen owners have ever immersed their generators in reality.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:30   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have a KISS and am quite happy with it. You have to take light wind readings with a grain of salt. Wind generators work best when there is a steady 15 knots. Get a KISS and use the money saved for another solar panel. My KISS is going into its seventh season. Have done nothing to it so far. I bought spare bearings when I got the unit but the old ones are fine. Good thing with KISS is you can get all the parts if ever needed from NAPA. They tell you what they are. They're not in the spare parts business like a lot of manufacturers who charge exorbitant prices for parts which are only available from them.