Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2020, 07:31   #1

Flexible busbar

I'm wondering whether anyone here has any experience of using flexible busbar, for example Eriflex Flexibar. I'm considering using it both for cell interconnects on a planned LFP install and for battery connections within the battery compartment.

I've found 4/0 cable to be a little recalcitrant at times when trying to make connections within a tight battery compartment and this stuff offers the possibility of making that much easier. And for the LFP interconnects it's likely more flexible than the usual interconnects and available at much higher equivalent cross-section.

It's American Bureau of Shipping approved and is available tinned so it appears to be suitable for a marine environment.

Any thoughts?
SweareDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 08:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Flexible busbar

Great stuff!
Look at Eriflex 'Advanced' (low smoke, halogen-free and flame retardant insulation).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 08:44   #3

Boat: Bayliner, 4588, 45'

I imagine shearing it to exact length would not be a problem. What would you use for a punch? Would you still want some elongation?
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 09:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
I imagine shearing it to exact length would not be a problem. What would you use for a punch? Would you still want some elongation?
It can be drilled. They sell an expensive jig for that purpose but it would be very easy to replicate its essential functionality. All the bending, twisting and folding obviously must be done before cutting and drilling/punching.

To allow for elongation between cells (if I'm interpreting your question correctly) I could envisage simply bending a small hump into the connection, though with clamped cells that seems the least troublesome deformation mode. Flexing is most likely the greater concern, and that mode would be accommodated naturally by the flexibar.

In assembling a 4P cell group, the flexibar could be run continuously across the cells, eliminating most of the contact resistance points.
SweareDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 11:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweareDeep View Post
I'm wondering whether anyone here has any experience of using flexible busbar, for example Eriflex Flexibar. I'm considering using it both for cell interconnects on a planned LFP install and for battery connections within the battery compartment.

I've found 4/0 cable to be a little recalcitrant at times when trying to make connections within a tight battery compartment and this stuff offers the possibility of making that much easier. And for the LFP interconnects it's likely more flexible than the usual interconnects and available at much higher equivalent cross-section.

It's American Bureau of Shipping approved and is available tinned so it appears to be suitable for a marine environment.

Any thoughts?
Many of the battery banks I deal with come from the factory with bar connectors

I assume all you must do is specify the correct gauge bar stock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3A5F404-824B-4F1F-8226-D1D224116463.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	208783  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote