Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2023, 06:20   #1

Fischer Panda voltage issues

I’ve got a 10kw FP genset with 1,000 hrs. I believe it’s a 2001 vintage and the tag taped to the binder that came with the boat says Icemaster/Gen typ P-12NE and Versoon PMS

We just commissioned the boat for the season and after running it all night (we are underway and its pretty cold so we need heat) the green AC light on the panel went out and then shortly after that the red AC fault light lit up and the genset shutdown.

Upon restart I found I could load it up a little bit and it would run for awhile but if I put a normal load on it the same condition would repeat.

The boat came with a box of spare capacitors—do they fail frequently and could this be the issue?

I’m not wild about taking the AC control box apart because of the voltage the installed capacitors are probably maintaining.

Thoughts or suggestions?
willyritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:39   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36
Re: Fischer Panda voltage issues

I’ve learned a lot from Mr. Lopez https://youtu.be/unzKjQJ6nfk

The two part series on troubleshooting Gen. sets should give you some thoughts and prevent you from stabbing in the dark.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 13:02   #3

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

We also have a FP 10kw generator of that era. I have all the printed manuals- including shop manual. However, the only online manual I have found that is adequate for servicing the 10kw model is is for the FP 12kw [I shared my copy via Google Docs.]

Work through the troubleshooting section.

In hopes this helps.

Cheers, Bill
Old 06-05-2023, 15:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWSalmon View Post
I’ve learned a lot from Mr. Lopez https://youtu.be/unzKjQJ6nfk

The two part series on troubleshooting Gen. sets should give you some thoughts and prevent you from stabbing in the dark.

Haha, great video. Everyone with a non portable genset should take the time to watch Mr Lopez. There’s a bit of a Cheech and Chong flavour with the student in the background chipping in every now and then but the information from the animated Mr Lopez would be useful to forum members who want to understand their generators better.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda