Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 06:24   #1

Boat: Hylas 49, 25 ft O'day Fixed Keel
Fischer Panda Question

Hi All

After thinking about, searching, boarding and trying many boats, We are in the process of buying our cruising boat for post retirement (6-8 months away). We have selected a very fine Hylas 49 that includes many options. We will be the third owner. One concern is that the boat has a 8 kW FP generator. It has about 1350 hours.

Our concern is that it doesn't look like it had been maintained very well. The cooling fluid seemed like it was mostly water, the belt was in pretty bad shape, dirty oil, evidence of prior leaks. During the sea trial of the boat, we ran it hard and under load and it ran great without shutting down or skipping a beat.

After reading a lot of negative comments about FP generators, I am concerned about the life left on this unit. Any advice of how best to service the generator? Any flushing to the cooling system that would be good to try? Sure I will do the normal stuff of changing the fluids, belt, filters etc, but what else can I do to help get the generator off to a good new beginning?

Thanks
CabezonBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:39   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Fischer Panda Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezonBD View Post
Hi All

After thinking about, searching, boarding and trying many boats, We are in the process of buying our cruising boat for post retirement (6-8 months away). We have selected a very fine Hylas 49 that includes many options. We will be the third owner. One concern is that the boat has a 8 kW FP generator. It has about 1350 hours.

Our concern is that it doesn't look like it had been maintained very well. The cooling fluid seemed like it was mostly water, the belt was in pretty bad shape, dirty oil, evidence of prior leaks. During the sea trial of the boat, we ran it hard and under load and it ran great without shutting down or skipping a beat.

After reading a lot of negative comments about FP generators, I am concerned about the life left on this unit. Any advice of how best to service the generator? Any flushing to the cooling system that would be good to try? Sure I will do the normal stuff of changing the fluids, belt, filters etc, but what else can I do to help get the generator off to a good new beginning?

Thanks
We have owned an FP for 12+ years and have found that, so long as one rigorously observes the maintenance requirements, they are quite reliable. There is a flushing procedure for the coolant. I will not go into a discussion of that here as that information for your specific unit is available on the FP site. Essentially, it involves draining the existing coolant, whatever that might be, flushing the entire unit with fresh water by using the engine's own pump which activates when the power to the unit is turned on and the power cable to the oil pressure switch disconnected and then, refilling the unit with the proper coolant and evacuating air (which may take several cycles. Replacing belts is no problem. More important, is replacing the impeller and seals in the raw water pump, which should be done as a routine matter. Failure to do that can, and will, result in leakage in the pump which, at worst will destroy the pump itself and cause collateral damage to adjoining equipment. Lastly, one needs adjust the valves periodically which really isn't particularly difficult either. You can pull the documents for the generator off the Fischer Panda site and, if you have specific issues, Jim Gagnon in the Service Department and Jeff Till, the head of sales, are both very responsive and can help you as needed (call 800-508-6494 or
954-462-2800)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:54   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezonBD View Post
Hi All

Thanks
FP generators are awful. But if this one actually made it to 1350 hours without getting tossed overboard, then you ought to be home free.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:12   #4

Re: Fischer Panda Question

I would perform a full servicing like you observed in addition valve adjustment. At some point you may have to replace it, but I would use it until that day comes and replace with a Northern Lights unit (or equivalent) .
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda