Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2020, 04:23   #16

Boat: Moody 44
Re: Fischer Panda Genset - starter not turning, fuel pump clicking

I had exactly the same problem this summer. There a two relays, either of which can prevent the solenoid being activated. I bought two on-line in the UK for around 6 GBP and now carry spares!
Skipper Ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:13   #17

There should be 2 relays on the same side as the air filter. Check them.

myageofsail.com
psp2psp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 15:14   #18

Boat: Contest 46

Update:

- Starter relay replaced. I tried both a new one from autozone and swapping the glow plug relay.
- 25a starter fuse replaced.
- The genset has an emergency start button next to the relays, which appears to attempt to start even if the relays are pulled out. I can pull out the relays, push the start button, and I still hear the fuel pump ticking
- Just to confirm with those that are disputing it, the TICKING IS THE FUEL PUMP. The pump is located at least a foot from the solenoid and it is very definitively the thing that's making the noise. I can stick my ear next to the solenoid and press the start button - not a sound.
- Using a screwdriver I jumped across the pos terminal on the solenoid to the switch terminal and the starter spins and the gear jumps forward and turns the motor over. That seems to me to confirm that the problem is somewhere upstream in the switch mechanism.

Tomorrow I think I'll try cleaning the terminals on the solenoid and then trace the switch wiring and look for any loose/corroded connections.
MondayNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 15:21   #19

Boat: Contest 46

Another update:

It was the starter relay. Engine fired up like a charm.

When I tried swapping the relay yesterday I had used the "failure bypass switch" (arrow in the image) that is mounted next to the relays to try to start the Genset. It was the first time I tried using it and as far as I understand it's supposed to act as a starter switch that doesn't require the remote panel, but for whatever reason it didn't make a connection with the starter circuit. It would fire off the fuel pump and make that same rapid clicking noise, but nada on the starter.

When I tried starting the genset with the new relay using the remote panel it fired right up instantly. So as far as the failure bypass switch goes, I either misunderstand its purpose or there is a connection problem between it and the starter relay.

Either way, I'm back in business. Thank you CruisersForum, and especially @duncan_ellison and @jhagg who nailed it with the relay advice!

MondayNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 15:20   #20

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 42F

I have similar problem with Fischer Panda 8000i. I was so happy to find that thread, till I found that my generator does NOT have emergency start button on its electronic board (it is not mentioned anywhere in the manual either) and I cannot find any relays!! Any ideas??
pskudlarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 15:24   #21

Just to add details to my story. The engine was winterized (ended up to be 15 month). When started it goes through preheating with clicks, then when starting makes a whizzing sound, but does not turn. The battery is new and good, voltage falls to 11.1 V during starting. I am able to turn the engine manually, it is not stuck.
Old 19-12-2020, 17:51   #22

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

I too have just run into a starting problem with my F-P gender. First thought is was low battery but put jumper cables on from another good battery. The voltage light does light up on the remote panel. I hear the fuel pump clicking and engine is trying to get started.

Need to do some voltage checks but am wondering if it is a fuel problem.
Old 22-12-2020, 13:40   #23

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS

pskudlarski - Sorry, I just saw this. The previous discussions were about the FP PMS 'Mini-Digital' generators. You have the later generation 'i' = inverter version.

Don't have much experience with these, but a quick look at the manual seems to show they have the same three relays and bypass button.

Grab a copy of the manual at
https://www.fischerpanda.de/images/g...O1-0010303.pdf

Note that the 'bypass switch' does NOT start the generator, it just allows it to start from the panel regardless of any errors / faults. Use with caution.

Duncan
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:04   #24

I don't think it is only fuel problem. If the engine is not turning, fuel cannot yet play any role. If you get it to turn but not start then it maybe fuel issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
I too have just run into a starting problem with my F-P gender. First thought is was low battery but put jumper cables on from another good battery. The voltage light does light up on the remote panel. I hear the fuel pump clicking and engine is trying to get started.

Need to do some voltage checks but am wondering if it is a fuel problem.
Old 19-01-2021, 14:47   #25

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayNever View Post
Another update:

It was the starter relay. Engine fired up like a charm.

When I tried swapping the relay yesterday I had used the "failure bypass switch" (arrow in the image) that is mounted next to the relays to try to start the Genset. It was the first time I tried using it and as far as I understand it's supposed to act as a starter switch that doesn't require the remote panel, but for whatever reason it didn't make a connection with the starter circuit. It would fire off the fuel pump and make that same rapid clicking noise, but nada on the starter.

When I tried starting the genset with the new relay using the remote panel it fired right up instantly. So as far as the failure bypass switch goes, I either misunderstand its purpose or there is a connection problem between it and the starter relay.

Either way, I'm back in business. Thank you CruisersForum, and especially @duncan_ellison and @jhagg who nailed it with the relay advice!

Been playing around with this more and my F-P looks similar to your, except the relays are all black. They are not all the same. Can you tell me more about the relay part numbers or characteristics so I know what to buy? One of the relays I removed is a Hella 4RA 931 210-29. Stupid me didn't document whether it was in slot 1 or 2 or 3? I switched them all around and no luck. One of the other relays I brought home is definitely different.

Tags
Fischer Panda, fuel, fuel pump, pump, relay, solenoid, starter