Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 10:52   #1

Boat: Beneteau 47.7
Fischer panda 4000

Hi all.
Hopefully an easy question. Just about to install my generator and now opted for starboard cockpit locker for ease of access Etc. I understand the weight will be higher up but the boat is a beneteau 47 so quite big and the genset small. The question is will the fuel pump and water pump manage to pump the fluids up to locker. Around 75cm above fuel tank and 1m above water in take.
Thanks no k
Tomtom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:01   #2

Re: Fischer panda 4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtom39 View Post
Hi all.
Hopefully an easy question. Just about to install my generator and now opted for starboard cockpit locker for ease of access Etc. I understand the weight will be higher up but the boat is a beneteau 47 so quite big and the genset small. The question is will the fuel pump and water pump manage to pump the fluids up to locker. Around 75cm above fuel tank and 1m above water in take.
Thanks no k
I'm concerned with the water issue more than the fuel. You could put a primer bulb inline, and get by with that. The water on the other hand is a different issue.

With the water having such a long way to go, the pump on the generator will run dry for too long, possibly causing damage. You will probably need some kind of low pressure priming pump for the water supply.

Running out of fuel is just an irritation. Running out of water can be an expensive repair.

James L
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:08   #3

Thanks Jamie.

Maybe the vetus anti siphon valve would always maintain water close to the set. When switched off
Thanks
Old 08-11-2012, 11:13   #4

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

That is a question you should ask Fischer-Panda. Give them as much info as you can. You don't want to leave yourself in a position of voiding your warranty due to an improper install. Let them tell you what to do and get the tech's name.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:15   #5

Actually,

I did some research, and the Panda is recommended with a 600mm clearance from the water level. They recommend some kind of anti-siphon valve to reduce the "on air" time of the cooling pump.

I figure you would be safe with that setup.

You can see the manual here:

http://fischerpanda.com/Manuals/Pand...n%20Manual.pdf

Look at the bottom illustration on page 45.

James L
Old 08-11-2012, 11:53   #6

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

600 mm is about 23 1/2 inches, and Beneteaus are a generally high freeboard boat. I know of a boat builder that stretched the install spec's and wound up eating some repairs.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 16:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
600 mm is about 23 1/2 inches, and Beneteaus are a generally high freeboard boat. I know of a boat builder that stretched the install spec's and wound up eating some repairs.
Yes, 600 mm is far from one meter.

I do believe a priming pump is needed for care free operation. I would be scared the impeller would run dry too long.

James L
Old 08-11-2012, 16:51   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

But he said 1 meter above the water intake, not above the waterline. Two different things. We don't have enough information.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 17:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But he said 1 meter above the water intake, not above the waterline. Two different things. We don't have enough information.
Good catch, I missed that. I read it as water line not intake.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Still I would feel safer with a primer pump that would bypass. I'm not sure I would feel safe with any other route.

James L
Old 12-11-2012, 09:21   #10

Boat: Beneteau 473

My FP 4KW genet is in the starboard aft locker on my 473. No problems with water pump. The through hull is just below the genset.
Tayzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayzach View Post
My FP 4KW genet is in the starboard aft locker on my 473. No problems with water pump. The through hull is just below the genset.
Likewise on our First 42. Starboard cockpit sail locker for ease of access. No issues with cooling water. Just be sure to have a seawater strainer at a spot where it's easy to reach and clean out from time to time.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:45   #12

Thanks everyone
I have decided to put in the aft starboard lazarette. I have had to remove from sound case including the base which once lowered in to the lazarette can be assembled. Just required removing some hoses through case and and the engine mount bolts.
Now the genset is at lower level for weight and I can keep the cockpit lockers free for lines etc.
Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 10:30   #13

Quote:
Thanks everyone
I have decided to put in the aft starboard lazarette. I have had to remove from sound case including the base which once lowered in to the lazarette can be assembled. Just required removing some hoses through case and and the engine mount bolts.
Now the genset is at lower level for weight and I can keep the cockpit lockers free for lines etc.
Thanks
Tom--Please ensure that the discharge side of the raw water line is led to the anti-siphon valve per FP's instructions before connecting to the injection nozzle lead. Ours is located directly under the side deck on the bulkhead separating the sail locker from the lazzarette locker under the bustle. Also, when you install the control module, ensure it is aligned per FP's instructions so that the tops of the Capacitors are up. If not, they will leak oil/coolant from the vent and fail quickly (BTDT).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-11-2012, 10:44   #14

Thanks
I have the 4000fc which when you buy has a hose loop at the front coming out of the case. This requires cutting the hose in the middle and leading both cut ends through the anti siphon valve which I have done!
Can you expand on your control panel note as this I don't quite understand about leaking etc.., thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 11:14   #15

Quote:
Thanks
I have the 4000fc which when you buy has a hose loop at the front coming out of the case. This requires cutting the hose in the middle and leading both cut ends through the anti siphon valve which I have done!
Can you expand on your control panel note as this I don't quite understand about leaking etc.., thanks
The AC Control Module (or Box) handles the power out from the generator. (It appears in Fig. A.8.1-1 in our Manual.) The Control Module is not the Remote Control Panel that, presumably, you'll have mounted near or around the Navigation Station or DC Switch Panel in the accomodation. The AC Control Module mounts near the Generator and manages the power from the Generator and includes several capacitors to handle intermittent loads--such as the start-up load from an Air Conditioner Compressor. The Capacitors are filled with oil and have tiny vent holes in the tops to allow for expansion/contraction of the oil, so, the Module must be mounted in a vertical orientation with respect to the capacitors. The bozo that did the initial installation of our machine did not follow the instructions which cost me several replacement capacitors until the FP guys asked about the matter and I discovered the error. I corrected the problem and have had no difficulty since but have seen a couple of other installations on other boats that were similarly erronious with similar problems.

FWIW...