Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 15:41   #1

Firefly Group 31 battery

Has there been any discussion of using the new Group 31 battery onboard? Some of the reading indicates a much greater lifecycle. www.fireflyenergy.com
OldSarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 16:50   #2

Doesn't look like you can get one anytime soon. Quote from their website:

All of this sounds great! Where can I get a Firefly battery for my car?
Firefly's marketing strategy is to target those areas of greatest need first. Our first batteries are being developed for specialized applications, working with large organizations like Husqvarna and the U.S. Army. We're in discussions with several large companies in the Automotive industry, and hope to be making batteries for this important application. We have no plans however to offer individual batteries to the general public for at least the next two years.

But if what they claim is true it certainly sounds promising.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 09:58   #3

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Latest news

Firefly's Oasis Grp 31 battery will be available for testing in 1Q2008, and supposedly generally available by August...

Wonder what the 20 hour Ah capacity will be. And will it be able to be charged at close to a 100% rate like Energy1 claims with their AGM batteries? Inquiring minds want to know, since my 6V six battery house bank will be up for replacement by then. Not that I want to be a guinea pig
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 14:23   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Looks like something that extends where the AGM battery left off. Maybe it will be something worth looking into in the future. It's going to need some more deep information so folks that might buy them will know how to calibrate the charging profile. Just as AGM technology is not a drop in replacement for flood batteries this one can't be much different. If you can't come up with the proper charging profile thees batteries will be a bust.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 17:45   #5

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Has anyone heard anything new on these?

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 19:00   #6
Eternal Member

On December 9, 2008 Firefly Energy announced that it was shipping the first mass-produced Group 31 Firefly Oasis batteries to the "trucking fleet".

See their website: Home - fireflyenergy.com

Note that there's an error in the date on the Press Release page, but it's clear when you get the PDF.

OK, we've waited long enough.....when are boaters gonna have a crack at these?????

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 18:06   #7

I'm still waiting too.

Bill Trayfors and I have plans to hang out at truck stops offering $100 and a new Delco to any trucker with one of those first Fireflys. We thought that having some attractive young ladies along might help - not that I really have much recent information on truck stops or young ladies.

Extemp - any chance you are young and female? Or at least could pass for one? Hell, either one might be good enough. We'll cut you in on some batteries.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 20:39   #8

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I'm still waiting too.

Bill Trayfors and I have plans to hang out at truck stops offering $100 and a new Delco to any trucker with one of those first Fireflys. We thought that having some attractive young ladies along might help - not that I really have much recent information on truck stops or young ladies.

Extemp - any chance you are young and female? Carl
Can't be sure, but I'm thinking about an equal chance as you being a young female.
Quote:
Or at least could pass for one? Hell, either one might be good enough. We'll cut you in on some batteries.
Carl
If you were to present me , you may get some battery acid, but not likely an entire functioning battery.
You may want to keep looking if that's going to work.

Cheers,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 10:19   #9

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Quote:
On December 9, 2008 Firefly Energy announced that it was shipping the first mass-produced Group 31 Firefly Oasis batteries to the "trucking fleet".
I had a conversation with one of the sales managers about a year ago. He said that the release to trucking industry would be about late 2008. He also put me on a wait list for purchase, would not give me any idea of cost or distribution channels outside of the trucking industry. With all that is going on with the economy I was not sure that they would hit there release window. I think I heard on the news that Caterpillar just laid off 5000. If he is good to his word and contacts me with purchase options I will pass on what I learn.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 11:41   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
I had the same experience when talking to a rep there. I don't think they have released any batteries yet, as one would expect to see that news on their website.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
I had a conversation with one of the sales managers about a year ago. He said that the release to trucking industry would be about late 2008. He also put me on a wait list for purchase, would not give me any idea of cost or distribution channels outside of the trucking industry. With all that is going on with the economy I was not sure that they would hit there release window. I think I heard on the news that Caterpillar just laid off 5000. If he is good to his word and contacts me with purchase options I will pass on what I learn.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 13:01   #11
Eternal Member

Quote:
.....Bill Trayfors and I have plans to hang out at truck stops offering $100 and a new Delco to any trucker with one of those first Fireflys. We thought that having some attractive young ladies along might help - not that I really have much recent information on truck stops or young ladies. Carl
Carl,

Get ready. I'm interviewing candidates now for the trucker's stop

Here's a candidate!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0439c.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	6890

(Actually, that's me with Stephanie Miller, radio talk show host of the Stephanie Miller Show, at one of the Inaugural Events in Washington, DC!)

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 15:53   #12

Bill,

You and I will have a fine time hanging out with Stephanie but I'm not sure there are any truck stops in Cambridge, Berkeley, or Tacoma Park.

So maybe plan "B". Since you are obviously well connected, Barack needs a boat to go with the new dog. And what better boat than JFK's old boat, Manitou -- for sale right now not 50 miles from the White House. I bet as commander and chief he even gets a free slip in Annapolis - and no waiting list.

1936 Sparkman & Stephens Custom Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Now, Manitou looks like she's in great shape but I'm betting the battery won't hold a charge. Who's ever bought an old boat and didn't have to replace the battery within six months? Right?.... you see where this is going Bill? A call from the White House should get Firefly's marketing on the right track.

I think we've got better odds with plan B than the truck stop idea. Unless you also ran into the Cowboy's cheerleaders at the inauguration.

Carl

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1677262_1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	6893  
Old 26-01-2009, 16:23   #13

WOW, that is a gorgeous boat!!! Let me check my stock portfolio and see if I can write a check!!...... DOH.. oh well.. thanks for sharing a little bit of sunshine with this GEM!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 18:58   #14

The stuff of fairytales.

JFK's beloved sailboat. Fully restored. Waiting in Annapolis as we inaugurate a new president.

Might Camelot rise again?

(sorry about the thread drift. back to batteries!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1677262_20.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	6894  

Tags
battery