Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2020, 17:37   #181
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: FireFly Battery Operational User Notes

I think the voltage and finish amps are more important than the charge rate. But i don't know. I do know that the batteries at high state f charge don't accept that high amps in the restoration procedure anyway.
Old 25-09-2020, 20:35   #182
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
......but my boat came with a ProMariner 40amp charger and it has very limited programming capabilities.
TIA
Which Promariner 40 amp charger?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 00:38   #183

It’s a Pronautic 1240.

Edit. I just re read the manual (it had been awhile) and it looks like there is a programmable setting but the AGM preset I’m using looks correct for the FF’s. I don’t know what convinced me it wasn’t.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 08:35   #184
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
It’s a Pronautic 1240.

Edit. I just re read the manual (it had been awhile) and it looks like there is a programmable setting but the AGM preset I’m using looks correct for the FF’s. I don’t know what convinced me it wasn’t.
The Promariner PronauticP is an excellent charger and fully programmable.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 13:47   #185
CLOD

Well after watching for a week it looks that 92% charge efficiency is 1% too low, so on to a 93% charge efficiency.

It is like a sport or hobby now .
Old 28-09-2020, 13:59   #186

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well after watching for a week it looks that 92% charge efficiency is 1% too low, so on to a 93% charge efficiency.

It is like a sport or hobby now .
I'm guessing that 92% is too low as well. It has been a while since we were close to fully charged, so I remain uncertain.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 07:58   #187

I ran the Honda generator and got to the point where 3.5 amps were going into the 812ah bank. The BMV-712 was still showing a deficit of 78ah. I moved the charge efficiency from 92% to 93% and manually synced the battery monitor to 100%. Since I was last at 100% We've gone slightly below 50% SOC in a cloudy period. The solar will be topping off and handling house loads for the rest of the day. It's a long running experiment, but it will be interesting to see where we end up.

Cheers, RickG
Old 29-09-2020, 08:03   #188

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
I ran the Honda generator and got to the point where 3.5 amps were going into the 812ah bank. The BMV-712 was still showing a deficit of 78ah. I moved the charge efficiency from 92% to 93% and manually synced the battery monitor to 100%. Since I was last at 100% We've gone slightly below 50% SOC in a cloudy period. The solar will be topping off and handling house loads for the rest of the day. It's a long running experiment, but it will be interesting to see where we end up.

Cheers, RickG
At what voltage was it when it was only accepting 3.5 amps? If at 14.4v then you could manually reset SOC to 100%.
My shorepower charger goes to float way too soon for me to ever fill the batteries to 100% SOC in any reasonable time period.
I have to run it in the AM for a couple hours to give the solar a big boost. Once the SP charger goes to 'float' then I shut down the Honda and let Solar charge at 14.4v until I see trailing amps drop. I change the 'float' on my SCs to 14.4 so it will keep the voltage high enough to truly see 100% SOC.

SV Cosmos
Old 29-09-2020, 09:22   #189

FlyingScot, my charger went to float. I reset it and it was pushing 3-7 amps at 14.2V, but rapidly went to float again. The solar chargers are all on float. I think she's full. We're going to head up to Carriacou Saturday and will be doing some motoring. At this point I'm just trying to find a good charge efficiency setting for the BMV.

Cheers, Rick
Old 06-10-2020, 10:09   #190
CLOD

93% charge efficiency for my BM looks good for the setting.

On my BM I currently am at 99.8% charge, 14.4V, 5 amp acceptance (that's 1.08% C20), -2.1 CE (AH) (which would agree within 0.3% of the SOC if doing the math).

So I expect the BM to reset to 100% in a few minutes if the sun stays out. My solar will continue to charge at the 14.4V till amps drop another 2 amps, which would take either the either the acceptance to drop those 2 amps or the freezer to turn off (I don't think it ever turns off). This would be pretty close to the 0.5 amp @ 14.4V per G31 of the the recovery procedure

Pretty much with my current solar charge settings anytime the solar drops into float my batteries got fully charged by voltage and acceptance amps and should have had the battery monitor reset by then.

While I still am paying too much attention to the batteries I am getting to the point that I don't check as often and hasn't really upset me that it has been 12 days since they got to true 100% SOC. Which was the goal to having gotten these fancy lead boxes!

Now the time they last becomes the ongoing story.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:53   #191

I am still running 93% charge efficiency. After rainy days, solar is catching up today. I've gone to 100% SOC once since I set 93% charge efficiency. I am going to take a day and isolate half of my bank to check individual battery voltages to see if all of the batts are happy.

Cheers, RickG
Old 15-10-2020, 15:24   #192

I bumped my charge efficiency to 94% and have gone through two charge cycles (not days) across rainy days with 50% DOD. I'm within 10 amps accuracy on the coulomb counter. I think that's my number. I'll pull together a summary of the discussion; there is some good stuff in there.

Cheers, RickG
Old 16-10-2020, 06:42   #193
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
I bumped my charge efficiency to 94% and have gone through two charge cycles (not days) across rainy days with 50% DOD. I'm within 10 amps accuracy on the coulomb counter. I think that's my number. I'll pull together a summary of the discussion; there is some good stuff in there.

Cheers, RickG
You need to continue bumping it up. Go to 95% and evaluate. Keep doing this as long as it’s better than what you got at 93%. When you found the percentage at which the error is like the 93% but opposite (Ah short instead of too much or visa versa) then take the center point between the two. This is the math to increase accuracy.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 12:00   #194

I’ve interpolated you between 94% and 95% charge efficiency on my system and usage.

Cheers, RickG
Old 16-10-2020, 12:30   #195
CLOD

I am leaving mine at 93%. Even i am not so anal to chase it more than that.

Tags
battery