Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2021, 16:17   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
FireFly batteries restoration charge

I'll try and keep this as short as possible. I have 4 Firefly group 31's. The user's manual and discussions with Bruce Schwab indicate to perform a restoration charge periodically.

The issue is the restoration charge is supposed to be done at 14.4v until .6amp inflow is reached. My charger will not hold a 14.4v charge that long as it moves to float charge of 13.4v well before the charge being accepted has reduced to .6amp. The Magnum 2812 charger goes to float charge somewhere in the 13amp charge rate.

Folks at FF say not to use the equalization charge. I am dumfounded as to how to perform a "restoration" charge. I've studied the Magnum manual and found nothing helpful. The charger's battery type selection for AGM1 bats does not have the absorption or float charges that the bats call for, and if used would throw 15.5v at the bats during it's equalization charge (too high and again FF says don't equalize)

The Magnums AGM2 bat type setting has absorption and float charges only .1 amp higher than what the bats call, but notes that the equalization charge for AGM2 setting is the same as the absorption charge "to prevent equalization".

I've had the batteries on a custom setting to match FF specs for absorption and float (14.4v / 13.4). If I broke from FF advice and used the custom setting's equalization charge it is also too high at 15.5v. Again, FF wants a "restoration" done at 14.4v until .6amp charge rate.

Meanwhile that bats are starting to loose charge holding ability and I am clueless on how to achieve the restoration charge. I've heard through the grapevine others have the same issue - any ideas on how to remedy this situation would be helpful. Bruce Schwab told me to hire an electrician - even the electricians I've talked to have not indicated they have a solution.

One friend suggested using the bat monitors sync settings to achieve a successful restoration. The Victron BMV 712 manual gives no clue how to achieve 14.4v at .6amp.
Tiemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 20:12   #2

Re: FireFly batteries restoration charge

Change the float voltage to 14.4 as well. You should be able to custom set in the magnum. Don’t forget to change it back when done. Then the batteries should sit at 14.4 forever.

You’ll just have to watch the current manually to end it.

The battery monitor has no control of anything. You just look at it.

I have seen Many failed fireflys. Test results 15-20ah instead of 116.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, restoration